Wool blanket instead of a wool mattress pad?
Oct 4, 2010 4:33 PM
Anyone try just using a wool blanket in their layering configuration rather than a wool topper? Like maybe put the wool blanket on top of the latex, under the sheet?
Re: Wool blanket instead of a wool mattress pad?
Reply #1 Oct 4, 2010 6:14 PM
I have tried polyester, and cotton.  The cotton had no give, but slept a tad cooler.  Polyester had some give, but lots of heat.  I have thought about wool (I posted someones opinion) blanket, but am still thinking about it.  I doubt it has any give.  You need some stretch if you want to sink in any.
Reply #2 Oct 4, 2010 6:32 PM
I think it would depend upon the blanket.  I have a few old wool blankets (I mean OLD) and they have zero give.  The wool blanket I purchased recently (already returned) would have been fine.  Also, I would experiment with not tucking it in or only securing two corners, etc.  I will probably try this out if my current mission of trying wool pads/toppers/shearling pads fails.
Reply #3 Oct 4, 2010 6:33 PM
Don't forget the linen sheet on top!!
Reply #4 Oct 4, 2010 7:38 PM
Angel wrote:

I think it would depend upon the blanket.  I have a few old wool blankets (I mean OLD) and they have zero give.  The wool blanket I purchased recently (already returned) would have been fine.  Also, I would experiment with not tucking it in or only securing two corners, etc.  I will probably try this out if my current mission of trying wool pads/toppers/shearling pads fails.

Why did you return the blanket, and where did you get it from.  Link please.  If you don't tuck in the corners you will sleep on wrinkles, and then again if you do make to tight you will sleep on a board.

I can't remember who asked about links but look at the line below your message:  see the pictures?  Click the 12th square over, it is the hyperlink.  Copy your link into the space.

Reply #5 Oct 4, 2010 8:44 PM
http://www.garnethill.com/eileen-fisher-ultrasoft-baby-alpaca-blanket/bedding-home/blankets-throws/blankets/13053

Thanks for the URL posting direction!!

I didn't buy this to use as a mattress top, but it came to mind when the subject came up today.  The reviews on the site talk about how warm it is, so I wanted to see if I could use it as an only blanket (no comforter).  It definitely was not a warm-enough blanket for that purpose!  May have been fine if one were to use a bed spread or comforter over it, I didn't care to try that.  I'm going to keep my eye on it to see if it goes on sale, as it might be a great summer blanket.

It is a thin blanket and it has a lovely drape to it, but not a lot of weight.  The fibers are rough on it ~~ so that it seems a little "hairy".  Its not going to stretch like jersey knit, or anything like that!  It would be flexible enough for me, possibly, but I really didn't evaluate it from this perspective so I am rather reluctant to put this out there -- except for that this retailer has an excellent return policy.  Also, I didn't think it was worth even half the price they are currently charging for it.

Reply #6 Nov 25, 2010 12:25 AM
You probably sorted this by now but I have always had a wool blanket between the bed and the sheet- my mother did so on every bed as Wool is a natural, breathable material. It adds a cosy feel, and is more adaptable  temperaturewise than any other product -and I've tried them all in my search for a cure to pain:-) It sadly took a while before I realised there was probably nothing wron with the toppers other than me stupidly putting them on top of the wool blanket....
Reply #7 Dec 1, 2010 4:13 PM
KatieR wrote:

You probably sorted this by now but I have always had a wool blanket between the bed and the sheet- my mother did so on every bed as Wool is a natural, breathable material. It adds a cosy feel, and is more adaptable  temperaturewise than any other product -and I've tried them all in my search for a cure to pain:-) It sadly took a while before I realised there was probably nothing wron with the toppers other than me stupidly putting them on top of the wool blanket....

Which wool blanket is it?  Most are scratchy.  So not sure I would even try it now that I have a wool blanket.  Just got mine from LL bean that Mark recommended (I sent you a PM Mark).  It is a very nice high quality blanket that washed beautifully, but it is somewhat dense and a bit scratchy, not as bad as some, but I think I would feel it.  Works great as a blanket that is over a cotton sheet though.  Best quality wool blanket I have ever seen.

The Dormia is soft but for some reason I have worse hip pain with it, must be the stitching or old age. LOL.  But it is the best mattress pad I have ever used.

Reply #8 Feb 7, 2015 2:18 AM
The mattress pads must be waterproof so that the child must not feel uncomfortable if the mattress gets wet due to urine. This also ensures a safe and comfortable sleep for the child throughout the night.Do remember that dust mites love mattresses and a baby crib mattress is no exception. Dust mites are a major reason behind the cause of allergies in Children. So, why not invest on buying mattresses and encasements with anti allergens.
Babies spend most of their time in the crib for almost ten months. Therefore, the bedding must be chemical free and organic for ensuring a healthier environment for the child.

For attractive, theme based and high-quality baby bedding in a wide range of colours visit http://www.thewoolcompany.co.uk/ . At Wool Company, you can buy a variety of high quality products both in wool and other fabric material. They also deal with woven and knitted cotton blankets that are of a high quality.
This message was modified Feb 25, 2015 by Teresa Leal

Recent Posts