Why I haven't been posting ...
Jun 27, 2008 10:42 PM
I haven't been posting here for quite a while because basically I came to the conclusion that there is no bed, no combination of foam or springs, that will solve my back problem or even make it substantitally better.

After playing with my layers of HR Foam for many months, using memory foam and latex and Olmifon (?) toppers, with springs, without springs, zoned, not zoned, etc. etc. etc.... I just finally came to the conclusion that nothing is going to work for me.

For those who may be reading this and don't know why I say this, it's that I developed some kind of weird back and shoulder condtion after a whiplash accident about 3 years ago, and since then I have developed tingling in both arms, on top of the pain, and nothing I do seems to make it better.

Yes I've tried physical therapy (2), chiropractic (2), massage, and exercises of various types. I've had MRI's, ultrasound, nerve conduction studies and xrays...

The neurologist told me yes, there's something wrong with my upper body but he doesn't know what it is and the tests don't show anything so the best he can do is recommend acupuncture or acupressure or trigger point therapy. I have an appt. scheduled for that but 1) I'm not that hopeful about it because I've had acupuncture already; and 2) I got laid off from my job and my insurance will end in another month or so which won't give me much time to get more than a few sessions in under my insurance and after that I won't be able to afford it.

So, there you go.

I will say, though, that my wife is VERY pleased with our "home made" bed which is a deconstructed Sealy Fenway with HR foam and latex topper.Here's a thread about  how we did it:

http://tinyurl.com/4mnmx9

And:

http://img134.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img134/1785/1201983161pn8.smil

After years of research on this, I believe that either something like a FloBed (if you like the feel of latex - I don't), or creating your own foam mattress with HR Foam and various latex or memory foam toppers is way better than 99% of all the mattresses on the market. All the "S" brand mattresses (yes, ALL of them!) are crap, and you're wasting your money. Even most of the high end spin-offs of "S" brand mattresses are crapola. so make  your own out of foam - it's cheaper, more customizable and will last longer. Oh, and one last tip: If you do "make your own mattress" the CuddleBed topper from CostCo is a great way to cover up the foam and make it look like a real bed, as well as providing a bit of extra padding.

This message was modified Jun 27, 2008 by jimsocal
Re: Why I haven't been posting ...
Reply #1 Jun 28, 2008 1:48 AM
Gosh I have read all your past posts and wondered how the zoning was going.  I am sorry to hear nothing is working.  I am sure you are tired of the whole thing and tired of suggestions from people.  But.... have you tried water therapy?  My ailments are not the same as yours (knee and hip) but I swear the pool exercises did and do continue to help me, it prevented me from having knee surgery almost three years ago now.  Just food for thought....

I hope things get better for you soon.
This message was modified Jun 28, 2008 by Leo3
Reply #2 Jun 28, 2008 5:43 AM
Reply #2 Today 2:43 am Edit Quote

I'm so sorry to hear this, Jim. I had actually hoped you weren't posting because you finally had found a "close-to-perfect" match. I guess not. :( I'm happy for your wife, at least.

So, it doesn't look like the Dream Coil Omalon topper worked, even under the CuddleBed? That's how I have it and so far, so good. Of course, inside I have a couple inches of fairly firm talalay latex, HR PU foam and the coils. I'm glad you like the CuddleBed. I've been trying to convince Leo (I think it is him) to try it. He mentioned not wanting to return it to his local Costco because he dislikes the place. But, I really wish he would at least give it a try. I think it's cozy and does add some padding.

I hope things will eventually be better for you.

jimsocal wrote:
I haven't been posting here for quite a while because basically I came to the conclusion that there is no bed, no combination of foam or springs, that will solve my back problem or even make it substantitally better.
After playing with my layers of HR Foam for many months, using memory foam and latex and Olmifon (?) toppers, with springs, without springs, zoned, not zoned, etc. etc. etc.... I just finally came to the conclusion that nothing is going to work for me.

For those who may be reading this and don't know why I say this, it's that I developed some kind of weird back and shoulder condtion after a whiplash accident about 3 years ago, and since then I have developed tingling in both arms, on top of the pain, and nothing I do seems to make it better.

Yes I've tried physical therapy (2), chiropractic (2), massage, and exercises of various types. I've had MRI's, ultrasound, nerve conduction studies and xrays...

The neurologist told me yes, there's something wrong with my upper body but he doesn't know what it is and the tests don't show anything so the best he can do is recommend acupuncture or acupressure or trigger point therapy. I have an appt. scheduled for that but 1) I'm not that hopeful about it because I've had acupuncture already; and 2) I got laid off from my job and my insurance will end in another month or so which won't give me much time to get more than a few sessions in under my insurance and after that I won't be able to afford it.

So, there you go.

I will say, though, that my wife is VERY pleased with our "home made" bed which is a deconstructed Sealy Fenway with HR foam and latex topper.Here's a thread about how we did it:

http://tinyurl.com/4mnmx9

And:

http://img134.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img134/1785/1201983161pn8.smil

After years of research on this, I believe that either something like a FloBed (if you like the feel of latex - I don't), or creating your own foam mattress with HR Foam and various latex or memory foam toppers is way better than 99% of all the mattresses on the market. All the "S" brand mattresses (yes, ALL of them!) are crap, and you're wasting your money. Even most of the high end spin-offs of "S" brand mattresses are crapola. so make your own out of foam - it's cheaper, more customizable and will last longer. Oh, and one last tip: If you do "make your own mattress" the CuddleBed topper from CostCo is a great way to cover up the foam and make it look like a real bed, as well as providing a bit of extra padding.
This message was modified Jun 28, 2008 by BeddyBye
Reply #3 Jun 28, 2008 11:11 PM
BeddyBye wrote:
Reply #2 Today 2:43 am Edit Quote

I'm so sorry to hear this, Jim. I had actually hoped you weren't posting because you finally had found a "close-to-perfect" match. I guess not. :( I'm happy for your wife, at least.

So, it doesn't look like the Dream Coil Omalon topper worked, even under the CuddleBed? That's how I have it and so far, so good. Of course, inside I have a couple inches of fairly firm talalay latex, HR PU foam and the coils. I'm glad you like the CuddleBed. I've been trying to convince Leo (I think it is him) to try it. He mentioned not wanting to return it to his local Costco because he dislikes the place. But, I really wish he would at least give it a try. I think it's cozy and does add some padding.

I hope things will eventually be better for you.

Thanks for the kind words, BeddyBye and thanks to Leo3 for the water therapy suggestion.

Right now I am losing my insurance at least until I get another job so I won't be able to do any official therapy. Last year I did try swimming a number of times and it didn't really help much, so I don't know. I do back exercises that have been recommended to me by chiros and phys. therapists, also with no results, so I am running out of ideas.

But actually I have found that my mattress has been better since I turned the box springs over and not usiing the springs at all, just foam, and then making my back section more firm and about 1/2" higher than the rest, with the Omalon topper and/or a thin layer of memory foam and the CuddleBed on top. Like I say, it's not "the answer" but it is better than it was before. What I think the CuddleBed topper is mostly good for is covering over the foam to make the mattress look like a real mattress. The way it fits all around the sides and corners helps make the mattress look more like a mattress, as well as providing a little bit of extra padding.

Good luck to everyone, I may check in again in the future but right now I have a lot going on with job hunting and some other projects, so I won't be around much if at all.

Reply #4 Jun 29, 2008 1:09 AM
I don't know if you will see this reply or not, but it took me a year to really recover doing 2 months physical therapy, and doing pool exercises.  I truly believe sticking with the low impact mild exercises in the water do help most ailments, or at least give you some exercise that is not painful (after a while that is).  I spent $2 on a noodle, which I use under the arms and lay on the back and do leg exercises.  Then you can sit on the noodle and do arm exercises.  If you can get the painful nerves moved around maybe they will get relief???  If you have access to a pool and a noodle that is all you need.  It makes you feel better mentally too, you can do movements in the water you can't do on land.

Best wishes on your job search and your pain relief.

Yes Beddybye that was me with the cuddlebed.  I did get a 1" memory foam (which I tried last night and after 1 hour ripped it off the bed!), and a mattress pad (like Cloud9 suggested) that goes across the bed.  The mattress pad was suppose to be for 17" bed, but it only fits 1/2 of the mattress.  Otherwise it is comfortable.  If the cuddlebed ever goes on sale I may try it!  I wonder if Jim has tried to wash the cuddlebed?  I can barely fit a normal size mattress pad in the washer.
This message was modified Jun 29, 2008 by Leo3
Reply #5 Jul 30, 2008 9:19 PM
Sorry that your bed isn't working.  Maybe you need a second opinion from a different doctor when you are insured again.  Your symptom of tingling arms are similar to my husband after an accident and he needed a neck fusion.  Also I want to let everyone know that we finally found a bed and although I wanted to wait longer before I posted about our bed but I felt that with your symptons that maybe you need to see another doctor they may have missed something.  I know they missed my husband's back problem the first time around.  I am the one with the husband that had both a neck and back fusion that I wrote about in the past.  After trying out tons of mattresses including a water bed we ended up getting an adjustable Tempurpedic Rhapsody bed.  I have read alot of not good thing about it on this forum and was not happy to spend that much money but my husband being able to get a good night sleep came over price.  I am happy to report that he is getting a great night sleep now.  We bought a Tempurpedic neck pillow too as our memory foam pillows were affecting his neck and he was getting headaches but those have disappeared too.  Now he has no neck or back aches.  I will post from time to time to let everyone know how the mattress is holding up.  Right now it is going on three weeks.

So far so good,

Emi

Recent Posts