What to look for in a Foundation for a Latex Mattress?
Oct 4, 2010 12:29 PM
Hi All,

So my latex mattress arrives from SleepEZ tomorrow - but I don't have a foundation yet.  I planned to buy one locally, but now not 100% sure on the ones I looked at.  I was looking at wood slat foundations because of cost and someone here recommended one over box springs (for Latex).  Here's what I found:

1. One local manufacturer builds their own and wanted $275 for it (I think he said it's 8 or 9 slats across it total).  I can't detect any give at all - as in, it would be almost like having the mattress sitting on plywood.  Is this okay?  Do I need something with some flex to it?  Or is it okay that it doesn't have any give?  This store recommended box springs, but if I remember correctly, other stores used wood slat foundations.
  2. A local furniture store uses all wood slat foundations.  The cost is only $140 for the King size foundation (well, two Twin XLs) with no return policy (except for defects).  I can't tell any difference between this and the $275 locally manufactured one - both have no give to them at all. 

So what do you think?  Should I look for other options or is this what I should expect from a wood slat foundation?  And is it okay to just rely entirely on the latex for the support (9" of latex FYI)?  Thanks,

--Kyle

Re: What to look for in a Foundation for a Latex Mattress?
Reply #1 Oct 4, 2010 2:22 PM
One of the ones flobeds sells is also just slats.  So, I assume they think that is okay for latex.   It looks like a lot more than 8 or 9 slats though, but I guess it would depend on how wide they are.  Also, if too thin, they will flex.

The adjustable ones (I think Flobeds and ikea sell them) would be intersting for an additional level of fine tuning.  I don't think that is necessary though.

So, I think just the slat type is okay.  It may affect the firmness that you need to customize on the sleepez mattress.

Reply #2 Oct 4, 2010 4:03 PM
Sweet Deals, Sweet Dreams! Premium Mattress Outlet
The "Big S's" - Sealy, Simmons, Serta, all recomend a hard - wood foundation.  They recomend a solid firm surface (a platform bedis great!) with no give to it.  Latex International and Sleep Comp Latex have always told me that a latex mattress should do all the work.

By the way - take a good hard look at what ever foundation only you buy.  The store you buy the foundation from won't be making much money - profit wise - so don't expect a lot of service from them.  Remember the real profit is in the mattress that you are buying some where else and come to them for their expert advice for proper support from a foundation you need for someone elses mattress!

This message was modified Oct 4, 2010 by gunman4440
Reply #3 Oct 4, 2010 6:01 PM
Thanks guys, that helps set my mind at ease, I'll go with the wood foundation and stop worrying about it  :)  I'll get to try it all out tomorrow night!  Take care,

--Kyle

Reply #4 Oct 5, 2010 2:43 PM
As a data point, I purchased a slatted base from IKEA.  I opted for the more expensive one as the slats have a little "give" and are adjustable.  It's worked well for the last few months.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20125971

Reply #5 Oct 12, 2010 5:46 PM
calliaz wrote:

As a data point, I purchased a slatted base from IKEA.  I opted for the more expensive one as the slats have a little "give" and are adjustable.  It's worked well for the last few months.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20125971

So what type of frame or bed do you put this slatted base in?  I would like to buy this but do I also have to buy an Ikea bed or can I use it in a regular bed or standard bed frame? 

Recent Posts