What is the best foundation for latex mattress?
May 2, 2011 2:34 PM
Anyone have recommendations for a foundation for a latex mattress that will fit into a regular bed frame? I'm looking for maximum motion suppression, minimum noise - I guess good build quality will accomplish this. A slats-only base wont work since the bed frame is only 6" off the ground and I like too add some height.

Thanks!

Re: What is the best foundation for latex mattress?
Reply #1 May 2, 2011 4:32 PM
All that you really need is a solid wood slat foundation...some of them are made up to 10" tall (Natura) which is taller than a regular foundation.  There are also some other more expensive options that you can explore but if the goal is to just get the mattress higher off the ground and not transfer motion, then a solid wood base is hard to beat.
Reply #2 May 2, 2011 5:15 PM
Where is a good source to find decent quality? I'm hoping to find something for $200 or less, but build quality is more important than price.
This message was modified May 2, 2011 by proof1st
Reply #3 May 2, 2011 5:17 PM
If there is a local dealer near you...you can probably get a Natura 10" queen base for $250 or $300 tops...but it is made of solid hardwood, no laminates, no plywood...its well worth the price.  www.naturaworld.com  check their dealer locator
Reply #4 May 5, 2011 10:04 AM
Thanks for that recommendation - for anyone else interested, amazon has it for 270:

http://www.amazon.com/Natura-Organic-Mattress-Foundation-Queen/dp/B003DSGNC0/ref=sr_1_1?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1304604000&sr=1-1

Reply #5 May 6, 2011 1:09 AM
I have this bad boy: http://www.amazon.com/Handy-Living-Queen-Wood-Frame/dp/B002KQ5KQG/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1304658315&sr=1-1

Didn't work that well with spring mattresses but with my latex bed it works great, and has decent clearance (13-14") for under bed storage. Plus it's silent, no squeaks or anything, possibly because most of it is wood.

Biggest downside is putting it together/taking it apart when you have to move. It takes a while for each slat. 

Reply #6 May 6, 2011 11:40 AM
I probably wouldn't recommend the above foundation if its exactly as pictured.  Not because it would damage the mattress but I think the type of slats (curved) used will bend significantly under weight and possibly make the mattress feel uneven, especially if it is a thinner latex mattress.  
Reply #7 May 6, 2011 1:20 PM
I'd think there would be any number of Co's that offer platform foundations that look like traditional box springs.  We bought a new foundation with our latex mattress last fall.  Looks, fits into a traditional bed frame just as a box springs would.  Ours is covered in same material as the mattress.  Offered in 2 different heights and no noticable give to it.  It is supported full length along both sides by the bed frame as a box spring would.  One requirement that the Co required was for a qween was the foundation needed to be supported in at least one place on the center all the way to the floor.  Top surface is fairly thick slats on about 5-6" centers.  Don't recall the specific cost as we bought as a set but think the cost was close to $200.
Reply #8 May 10, 2011 3:35 PM
budgy wrote:

I probably wouldn't recommend the above foundation if its exactly as pictured.  Not because it would damage the mattress but I think the type of slats (curved) used will bend significantly under weight and possibly make the mattress feel uneven, especially if it is a thinner latex mattress.  

I am indeed using bent wood under my latex mattress and I have the same concern as Budgy about it. I thought from the beginning, "this isn't going to last". It provided an excellent feel for my latex mattress. But now that excellent feel is beginning to deteriorate. I cannot be sure it's the frame/foundation. It could just be me. But I am concerned which is why I want to buy something with a similar feel but more substantial. See my thread on foundations and the suggestions given me there.

Reply #9 May 10, 2011 5:06 PM
That's good feedback on those adjustable frames - I had wondered about that too.

Here's another slat frame option I found on amazon. Seems sturdy from the reveiws.

Reply #10 May 11, 2011 6:48 AM
Is there any reason that a plywood platform would not be suitable for a latex mattress? Does latex need to "breathe"?
This message was modified May 11, 2011 by Phoebe2011

Recent Posts