Want to hear from foam experts with bad backs....
Jan 23, 2008 6:07 PM
I have bad back/neck/shoulder problems from a car accident 3 years ago, and no one has been able to help me fix it. I just live with pain, AND with tingling in my arms at night.

Just for background info, 4-5 years ago my wife and I tried them all:

Simmons, Sealy, Spring Air, Flobeds, Latex, Tempurpedic, etc.. None of  them helped me with my back pain, and in the end we started using high-density foam and latex to create our own combinations. Of these, I hated Tempurpedic the most, I hate Simmons because they go bad so fast, the Spring Air just wasn't good, and the Flobeds was probably the best of the lot.

However, that also did not work and in the end we bought 2 twin Sealys because they seemed as good as anything else and we got a good price and were tired of messing with it. We got 2 twins and put them side by side because they were so bouncy that otherwise my wife's constant tossing and turning (she has restless leg syndrome) kept me awake. As to my back, nothing worked, although the Sealy was okay for the first couple of years. Now they both have gotten way too soft and give us both back aches. I'd never buy another Sealy. 4 years is not a good lifetime for a mattress, and actually it started getting bad almost a year ago, so that's only 3 years...

Our experience with high density foam and the harder memory foam toppers and ultra soft latex toppers was pretty good overall, so ...

What I'm thinking of doing now is going back to experimenting with the high-density foam wtih latex on top idea... making our own combinations because we have a foam distributor nearby where we can get it pretty inexpensively - good high density regular foam and decent memory foam. Sometimes they have latex, sometimes they don't - we may have to buy the latex on the net.

My back hurts so much now that nothing I am trying seems to help. If it's too soft, my lower back kills me; if it's too hard, my upper back kills me; and if it's between those 2 extremes, my back still hurts... But I'm trying to find a "happy medium". I think 5" of high compression foam and then a 2" high compression memory foam with a 1-2" latex topper might be good to experiment with (with and without one topper or the other...)(maybe buy a couple different denstiies of memory and latex to experiment with...)

Recent Posts