Update: 1 year on OMI Lago; Still seeking awesome topper, pillow
Aug 6, 2011 9:10 AM
So I posted on here about a year ago that we'd purchased an OMI Organicpedic Lago (under duress after horrible sleep for months on a total lemon from Sleepy's). Overall, it's a fine mattress. My low back issues have significantly improved since we bought it. My main complaint is that when the price is that high and there's no return policy, it should be better--I feel like we shouldn't need a topper, too. But, alas, we do, as the latex is very firm. Sort of like sleeping on a very dense chunk of latex custard. Not that I've done that. Anyway.

After great advice gotten here, we got a 1" softest (19 ILD? I don't remember) latex topper from FoamByMail. It helped for both of us, but more for me (5'9", 135 lbs).  My 6'2" 200 lb. husband sinks right through that one inch, and then the firm latex is hard on his hip points and shoulders. 

At this point, we're looking to invest in a topper. Though we'd like a fair price, it's more important to us at this point that there's a good return policy so we can try it out and return it easily if we need to, rather than it being rock-bottom cheap. 

I've read many here recommend Flobeds and SleepLikeABear. Is either more stellar in terms of trial time and returns? Has anyone had a similar too-firm latex experience and found a really helpful topper?

And though my low back troubles are immensely better, I have neck pain--cricks in my neck when I wake up. The mattress is so firm that even a firm down pillow is awful--I sink into it and my shoulder/neck muscles contract, as I'm a side- and back-sleeper. I've had some success with very cheap Target pillows, but after 1-2 months, they're crap. I've been eyeing a TempurPedic Symphony (I'm willing to put up with the offgassing smell to try it). Any pillow recommendations?

Thank you!

Re: Update: 1 year on OMI Lago; Still seeking awesome topper, pillow
Reply #1 Aug 6, 2011 10:51 AM
I was told here that 1" of soft latex really won't do much to change the feel of a firm bed. I think 2" is the minimum to start with. I know it seems outrageous to have to start spending more money after buying an already expensive bed but unfortunately this seems necessary these days.
Reply #2 Aug 7, 2011 3:16 PM
Thanks, Doreen. We're trying to figure out whether to get another inch of 19ish ILD from FoamByMail to put on the inch we have, because I know inch by inch is the cost-effective way to do it. Or whether to cut our inch in half and give it to our kid, who also needs a topper, and start over with a higher-quality topper from a place that we can easily return to if we don't love it. I will check out SleepLikeaBear and Flobed's policies and toppers and see if one of them has something we should try.
Reply #3 Aug 30, 2013 3:47 PM
Topperquest, I hope you get this message two years later. I too bought the Lago, last year, and am so miserable and in so much pain because it is way too firm for me. I am 5'3" and 100 pounds. I like to sleep on my side and it just kills shoulders. Now that I am 47 I am waking up, if I sleep at all, with screaming upper back, neck and shoulder pain. A few times I've had my arm fall asleep and go completely numb - so painful!

What did you end up doing? This mattress is so tall, and I already have a high canopy bed, I cannot imagine adding another 3" to it! Please reply if you get this message!

Recent Posts