unsure of my new Tempurpedic
Feb 17, 2008 6:30 PM
I just bought the Deluxe Tempurpedic and I dont think I like it. I seem sink into it to much. I just got it on Friday. Should I give it more time? Should I get the Rhapsody? It is suppose to be firmer. My other problem is I dont know if the furniture store will take it back. Any advise?

Mark

This message was modified Feb 17, 2008 by marks
Re: unsure of my new Tempurpedic
Reply #1 Feb 17, 2008 9:14 PM
Most Tempurpedics do have a return or exchange policy. I tried one. It felt good the first few nights and then sank in too much which did not give my back proper support.

I don't know about the "firmer" model but in my opinion all of the Tempurpedics I have seen are built on a concept that does not work: 3-4" of memory foam on top of an HR foam base. It's just too much memory foam that does not do a body good, regardless of what the ads say. That said, SOME people do seem to like the memory foam, but I can't understand why.

Take it back and get an adjustable bed of some sort: latex (flobeds.com for example) or even one of those air mattresses. In my opinion Tempurpedic does not make a good mattress.

Reply #2 Feb 18, 2008 5:09 AM
Return it as soon as you can. The too much sinking is not the only problem in a Tempur, the real problem is the heat,I had and classic Tempur and a Deluxe one. While the Deluxe was a lot more comfortable,it was still very hot.

It will get extremely hot,especially after about one year of use. Tempur is just an overpriced piece of marketing. Jut buy any cheap latex mattress or any cheap Sealy mattress,it will do wonders compare the the Tempur.

This message was modified Feb 18, 2008 by Need4sleep
Reply #3 Feb 18, 2008 5:42 AM
I tried the Tempurpedic out in a store and knew at once I wasn't going to like it. First it felt like lying on a hard slab of cold clay, and then I felt like I was sinking into a bed of quicksand. To say nothing of the heat factor of being engulfed in foam. No. Not the way I want to spend my nights.

That being said, I do know a few people who have Tempurpedics and love them--although they all said it took three weeks for them to get used to it. Before you make any decisions, unless the mattress is causing you pain or discomfort, give it a few more nights to see if it grows on you.

Also, I don't know if the store will take it back either, but I can't stress enough the importance of finding out exactly what the return or exchange policy is BEFORE you buy a mattress anywhere. Today's mattresses are a lot more complicated than they used to be, and sometimes what felt great in the store for the 15 minutes or so that you laid on it doesn't feel so great after spending eight hours on it at home.

Reply #4 Feb 18, 2008 9:07 AM
haha, all the reasons why I too decided I don't like memory foam. First you think "oh wow this is going to be so comfortable" and then about 10 minutes later " why is this so hard and I am sweating?"
Reply #5 Feb 18, 2008 3:03 PM
Need4sleep wrote:
Return it as soon as you can. The too much sinking is not the only problem in a Tempur, the real problem is the heat,I had and classic Tempur and a Deluxe one. While the Deluxe was a lot more comfortable,it was still very hot.

It will get extremely hot,especially after about one year of use. Tempur is just an overpriced piece of marketing. Jut buy any cheap latex mattress or any cheap Sealy mattress,it will do wonders compare the the Tempur.

I agree with everything said in this thread about Tempurpedic. But I have to disagree about the comment above, ""Just buy ... any cheap Sealy mattress..."
While it may be better than the Tempurpedic, a Sealy is not the answer. I bought one and you can see in my thread on how I dissected my Sealy, that it has complete crap inside, just crap: foam that provides no support and does not last.

Go with a component style latex bed or latex + HR foam so that you can adjust it. If you use a company like flobeds then if you hate latex you can return it for the price of shipping. If you hate latex, then try buying a cheap mattress with good springs inside, open it up with a knife and put your own HR foam inside at various ILD's to create your own mattress on top of the springs. While it may sound "funky", after you get the sheets on it, no one knows the difference, and your back will thank you for providing it good support.
Reply #6 Feb 18, 2008 8:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. In the store, I liked the Tempurpedic but after 8 hours, I dont think its for me. I will try it a few more nights and see what happens. My big concern now is returning the mattress back to the furniture store. I know that if you buy direct from Tempurpedic that they give you 90 days to return if you dont like it. We did get store credit because our Simmons Beuatyrest was sagging after 4 years and we got it warrantied. The remaining balance for the Tempurpedic we financed. I got a funny feeling I am going to be stuck with this mattress I dont like.
Reply #7 Feb 21, 2008 11:42 PM
Don't stay with a mattress you don't  like! You spend a third of your life in bed!

Here's what I would do if I were you:

If they tell you they won't take the Temp. back, ask them why, when the factory offers 90 days. Don't take no for an answer, they can do it. At the very least they can return it to the company and you pay only shipping charges. Back when I was trying out various beds we bought one that we didn't like and the guy had a no return policy. He would exchange it but he had nothing else we wanted. So we said, "Look, we'll give you a 20% restocking charge, you can sell the bed used, and that's a good compromise." He agreed and we went out and tried other mattresses. There's always a way to work something out if people will be reasonable.

Worst case scenario:Trade the Tempurpedic for the most popular mattress he has in that price range, then have it delivered, keep the plastic on it and put it up for sale for about 60-70% of what you paid. Yeah, you'll lose some money, but you can at least get rid of the mattress (probably).

Good luck!

Reply #8 Jun 1, 2008 12:10 PM
Mark:

How did this turn out?  We just had one delivered yesterday, loved it in the store, hated it on night #1.

Recent Posts