Ultra-Fresh in Wool topper and memory foam and Dunlop
Feb 10, 2009 2:53 PM
I thought someone who is concerned (as I am) about Ultra-Fresh being applied to your sleeping products might be interested. I have found this product on Memory foam, Dunlop foam (read online), and humidifers. I am not happy about it and find it vague and they won't tell you what chemicals that they are using. The emails are a mess to read, sorry.

2/10

Very light and safe levels of Ultra-Fresh are the only treatment on our wool.

Regards,

SFW
----- Original Message -
To: <customerservice@snugfleece.com>
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 6:50 PM
Subject: Re: SnugFleece wool topper

>
> SFW,
>
> Can you tell me if there is no other treatment on the SnugFleece like flame retardants?
>
> Here is an email reply I received that told me nothing to make me feel any more confident.
>
> Thanks for your help. I see more and more products adding this to their product. I don't think it is necessary, particularly since wool is suppose to be good all by itself.
>
>
>
> Thomson Research Associates offer a number of antimicrobial treatments to be used by manufacturers. In North America these treatments are registered with either the US EPA or a branch of Health Canada after being reviewed for safety and efficacy. For the protection of a "wool topper" any of a number of Ultra-Fresh treatments may have been used. I am therefore at a loss to provide more specific information.
>
> If you are not comfortable with an antimicrobial treatment on the wool topper then I would suggest that you purchase one without such a treatment.
>
> Regards,
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: ultra-Fresh
>
> I am trying to find out what Ultra-Fresh is. I researched on the web, and it does not tell you what the ingredients are. Where is the materials data sheet? I want to know if I want this on my wool topper I was going to buy. I don't like chemicals that are not listed :-) I appreciate any information on ingredients, not what it is suppose to do.
> I read that already.
>
> Thanks
>
> --- On Mon, 2/9/09, customerservice@snugfleece.com <customerservice@snugfleece.com> wrote:
>
>> From: customerservice@snugfleece.com <customerservice@snugfleece.com>
>> Subject: Re: SnugFleece wool topper
>
>> Date: Monday, February 9, 2009, 1:23 PM
>> No...all our products are treated.
>> I can't remember right off the top of my head but I
>> believe that Ultra-Fresh
>> has been around since the 50's...www.ultra-fresh.com
>>
>> Regards
>> SFW
>> ----- Original Message ----- F
>> To: <customerservice@snugfleece.com>
>> Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 11:48 AM
>> Subject: Re: SnugFleece wool topper
>>
>>
>> >
>> > SFW,
>> >
>> > But Ultra-Fresh hasn't been around for 25 years.
>> How long have you been
>> > using that? So I can't order a SungFleece without
>> the chemical additive?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> >
>> > --- On Mon, 2/9/09, customerservice@snugfleece.com
>> > <customerservice@snugfleece.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >> From: customerservice@snugfleece.com
>> <customerservice@snugfleece.com>
>> >> Subject: Re: SnugFleece wool topper
>
>> >> Date: Monday, February 9, 2009, 9:39 AM
>>
>> >>
>> >> Very safe...no need to worry, chemical sensitive
>> consumers
>> >> have been sleeping on our covers for over 25
>> years.
>> >>
>> >> Regards,
>> >> SFW
>> >> ----- Original Message ----- From:

>> >> <gr382@yahoo.com>
>> >> To: <customerservice@snugfleece.com>
>> >> Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2009 9:53 PM
>> >> Subject: SnugFleece wool topper
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> >
>> >> > I was about to order the original SnugFleece
>> queen
>> >> wool topper, when I read you use Ultra-Fresh on
>> the wool.
>> >> Do you have any wool toppers that DO NOT have the
>> >> Ultra-Fresh applied in your warehouse I could
>> purchase? I
>> >> don't want any chemicals on this fine looking
>> product.
>> >> >
Re: Ultra-Fresh in Wool topper and memory foam and Dunlop
Reply #1 Feb 10, 2009 3:34 PM
Leo,

It seems to be in almost all textiles and many other products, even flooring materials. The manufacturer makes different versions for different applications and I doubt that any retail customer service department would have the level of detail you are looking for.  Why don't you write directly to the manufacturer, Thomson Research (http://www.ultra-fresh.co.nz/wawcs019722/tn-9722.html)  I found the following scientific study that you may be interested in; it includes a section on Ultrafresh. http://www.ieindia.org/publish/tx/0204/feb04tx4.pdf

Have you looked for an organic topper?

Reply #2 Feb 10, 2009 3:40 PM
Hi Beanie,

That is part of the email where they (Ultra-Fresh), from Thompson (something) said we have no idea what quanity spray the company used, don't buy the wool topper if you are not comfortable with it. I am not. I passed on humidifers that said they have it this winter. I would rather have bacteria or whatever then the chemicals they found out later killed us. I will read that article you listed. Thanks.

I am looking at organic, but it is only 1" thick, but I am looking. Of course it costs more without those chemicals!
Reply #3 Feb 10, 2009 4:26 PM
Leo,

Look here: http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Product.jsp?REG_NR=01046600028&DIST_NR=057018

This chemical, tributyltin maleate is indeed a pesticide, manufactured by Thomson research associates since 1981, commonly called ultra fresh. Since you have already communicated with the folks at Snugfleece, you should refer them to this site, as well. I, for one, would be interested in their response.
Reply #4 Feb 10, 2009 5:26 PM
Leo (and anyone who might be interested),

I posted the previous reply without doing enough research.

One form of ultrafresh, ultrafresh dm-50 is tributyltin maleate, another is ultrafresh nm-100, more commonly known as triclosan. This chemical has been approved for use in fibers by OKO-TEX, a highly respected Swiss testing organization. Yet another form of ultrafresh is ultrafresh xq-32. I have not found anything more about it.

I guess that I can either be sleeping on something that is an endocrine disrupter or something used as a component of hand soap.

Whatever the case, I can definitely say that it is a very comfortable mattress pad.
Reply #5 Feb 10, 2009 6:17 PM
Leo -- Thanks ... I didn't realize the message was from Ultra-fresh. In my quick googling, I noticed there were many variations of the product for different applications.  The most informative links were from other countries. In addition to Philip's information, there was some type of floor finish product that had it.  It seems to be in everything. Humidifiers? Hmmm... BF just bought one...  Now I wonder if the anti-microbial property of latex is "natural" or due to an added chemical. I also saw the dunlop foam site that you mentioned.  I guess I'm more concerend about my 401K at this point in time, but I do wish you luck in finding an organic topper that meets your needs and does not break the bank. Please keep us posted.
Reply #6 Feb 10, 2009 9:46 PM
Philip & Beanie,
Thanks for your info. I have searched also and can't find any real positive answers. Yes, Philip Ultra-Fresh will make one problem or the other as you said. I am glad you like the wool topper, and it may pose no problem at all. It looks really nice, and I can not find anything like it.

Beanie, part of the email was from SnugFleece; I just attached the emails from Thomson so SnugFleece could see what kind of a response I got from them. But SnugFleece didn't seem too concerned that the Thomson company is telling the consumer I don't know what it is and if it bothers you buy something else. I also am concerned about money and am tired of wasting it on products that either don't provide comfort and/or have chemicals added that I don't want.

Also, Beanie I think the latex (I hope) is naturally suppose to not attract dust mites is all I can remember. But I was reading about foam online, and read Dunlop company is making all their foam with that Ultra-Fresh and they think we should be happy about it. I haven't read that about the other company that makes latex, Latex International adding anything. But I may have missed it. About the humidifiers, Hunter brand at Target has the cool humidifiers with the Ultra-Fresh listed on it. The Vicks warm humidifers are fine, I did get that one. Not that it does much, LOL. I have seen socks with it, and clothes. It will be years before the EPA or whoever approved it finds out what it does to us. Like the triclosan for hand soap they say now may cause you to get colds, and that is isn't necessary to use anymore. Can't remember exactly why, but guess it is like antibiotics takes too much and wears the immune system down.
Reply #7 Aug 27, 2010 2:52 AM
Philip wrote:
Leo (and anyone who might be interested),

I posted the previous reply without doing enough research.

One form of ultrafresh, ultrafresh dm-50 is tributyltin maleate, another is ultrafresh nm-100, more commonly known as triclosan. This chemical has been approved for use in fibers by OKO-TEX, a highly respected Swiss testing organization. Yet another form of ultrafresh is ultrafresh xq-32. I have not found anything more about it.

I guess that I can either be sleeping on something that is an endocrine disrupter or something used as a component of hand soap.

Whatever the case, I can definitely say that it is a very comfortable mattress pad.

Thank you, thank you for this information. It is a comfortable mattress indeed, but now knowing I've been sleeping on tricolsan or tributyltin maleate makes it perfectly clear to me why I got so sick within 2 weeks of sleeping on this dunlop mattress. I have been sick for 4 years now. I have multiple chemical sensitivity. It is severe, I am housebound & in constant pain. The first clue was the shortness of breath. Wouldn't go away, no doctor could explain it. Then the crushing fatigue, I was a dance teacher & could suddenly not walk straight - and quickly not at all. I am so sick after sleeping on this mattress 3 years, but I became sick in much less than 1 month of it's arrival. I have been off it a year but MCS does not disappear so quickly & I have a long road to recovery if ever I do (most don't). Be so careful of what you sleep on, the flame retardants in mattresses are health hazard enough but if you see anything marked "ultra-fresh" remember my story & I hope you will be luckier than I.
This message was modified Aug 27, 2010 by bibbidee
Reply #8 Sep 2, 2010 12:31 AM
 I am not ok with this either- does latex green use this in it's dunlop? It may not be a problem at all but I would rather be as chemical free as possible. I googled "ultra-fresh" and found several websites saying they were selling "organic" mattresses treated with ultrafresh. 

Recent Posts