Is this Dunlop latex or what is it?
Feb 5, 2008 6:13 PM
Isn't this Dunlop latex?
God, I hate how sites don't say exactly what their latex is!
Found this, and if I'm not mistaken the photo looks like Dunlop (right?) but all they say is "Natural latex".
http://www.absolutecomfortonsale.com/latexfoam.htm?PriceGrabber#prices

And just for good measure, here's another confusing web page. Is this Dunlop or ?
Is this what they call "jungle latex" or is it Dunlop, or?
Note that the top left photo says the mattress on top is Talalay but it's clearly not Talalay.
Re: Is this Dunlop latex or what is it?
Reply #3 Feb 6, 2008 6:51 AM
" But I suppose since all natural latex comes from a jungle even LI natural latex is really "jungle" latex."

"Jungle" latex doesn't refer to the origin of the "juice", but where the mattress is manufactured. Talalay is a much more sophisticated (expensive) process which is why the manufacturers are more limited. Dunlop is an older, simpler process--more like your neighborhood meth lab--and can be manufactured near where the rubber is "harvested" (the "jungle", or elsewhere in "third world" facilities). That's what distinguishes "jungle" latex from dunlop process by the major players.
Reply #4 Feb 6, 2008 11:48 AM
mccldwll wrote:
"Note that the top left photo says the mattress on top is Talalay but it's clearly not Talalay."

???????????????
Why? Dunlop and talalay look basically the same in pics.

I beg to differ.
Dunlop latex looks very different and can be recognized in photos if you can see the sides and top of it.
I challenge you to post photos of it and I will tell you which is which.
Reply #5 Feb 6, 2008 11:50 AM
cloud9 wrote:
Those holes look pretty big, so I'm thinking it's Dunlop. However, who knows if the photo reflects what you actually get??? In the description they don't mention Talalay, and they would usually highlight that if it was. The only way you could be sure is to call and ask. And yes, if it's natural latex and it's Dunlop it's "jungle" latex. But I suppose since all natural latex comes from a jungle even LI natural latex is really "jungle" latex. Although one expects high production standards from LI. With the off brands, who knows?

I already wrote them, and their answer was just as confusing as the web site.
The ebay seller said that the 2 and 3/4" piece I wanted to buy was "natural latex". But then they referred me to the web site which has it listed under a heading that says "Talalay". That, combined with the confusing photos, is enough to make me think they don't even KNOW what they are selling.
Reply #6 Feb 6, 2008 3:50 PM
I don't think you can assume you will get what you see in the picture so that isn't going to help you very much.

The web site says "These fabulous toppers are the perfect item for sensitive and discriminating individuals, as they do not contain synthetic additives. Even the popular Talalay Latex (see our Latex Sleep Therapy bed) has a small percentage of synthetic latex to give manufacturers greater control over the feel of the finished product."

They are trying to spin a positve about blended Talalay into a negative. It sounds deliberately misleading and vague to me. It might be a good product though.
This message was modified Feb 6, 2008 by mattressmom
Reply #7 Feb 6, 2008 4:34 PM
mattressmom wrote:
I don't think you can assume you will get what you see in the picture so that isn't going to help you very much.

The web site says "These fabulous toppers are the perfect item for sensitive and discriminating individuals, as they do not contain synthetic additives. Even the popular Talalay Latex (see our Latex Sleep Therapy bed) has a small percentage of synthetic latex to give manufacturers greater control over the feel of the finished product."

They are trying to spin a positve about blended Talalay into a negative. It sounds deliberately misleading and vague to me. It might be a good product though.

I agree. I can't assume what the picture shows is what I'll get.
Unfortunately, I don't even think I can assume that what they SAY I'll get is what I'd get. I mean, I'm not saying they would deliberately lie (I have on way of knowing since I have not ordered from them), but I get the impression they just don't know what they're talking about.
Reply #8 Feb 6, 2008 5:50 PM
jimsocal wrote:
I agree. I can't assume what the picture shows is what I'll get.<BR>Unfortunately, I don't even think I can assume that what they SAY I'll get is what I'd get. I mean, I'm not saying they would deliberately lie (I have on way of knowing since I have not ordered from them), but I get the impression they just don't know what they're talking about.

This place looks like it sells a lot of memory foam. I don't think they know much about latex either. It's like they jumped on the latex bandwagon to add on to their memory foam business but they are pretty fuzzy about the details. I like natural, "green" products as much as the next guy but they seem to be saying "People like natural latex because it's natural." They don't say why you might like it better than Talalay and they don't even mention Dunlop. The text is pretty entertaining but it isn't very informative. I'm not surprised you got a confusing response from them. I wonder if they are trying to imply that they are selling natural Talalay - which is more expensive than either Dunlop or blended Talalay. To me, it comes across as subtly misleading - even if it is literally accurate. But maybe they simply don't know what they are talking about.

I've looked at so many of these web sites that I find it really kind of funny to see how they describe and spin what they sell.
Reply #9 Feb 7, 2008 2:36 PM
I just realized that in my original thread-starting post above, I did not include the 2nd url which I referred to in the 2nd paragraph.

It SHOULD have read:

"...And just for good measure, here's another confusing web page.
http://www.foamforyou.com/Latex_Mattress%20.htm

Is this Dunlop or ?
Note that the top left photo says the mattress on top is Talalay but it's clearly not Talalay."

I have been going around and around with these people at foamforyou.com

They tell me their latex is Dunlop then refer me to a page on their site "for more information", then I go there, and the page on their site has a big header above the description that says TALALAY!

I write back and point this out and again they insist it is Dunlop.

So I say, "Where on your site is the Dunlop page? Or am I to believe that the prices you have labeled as Talalay are indeed Dunlop?

Note that I got this page originally from an ebay seller which also did not specify the type of latex, so I went to their site to see if it clarified it and it only made it more confusing!

Man, there are a lot of people out there selling stuff they know nothing about! You'd think they'd do a little research if they were going to sell it...

In any case, I think that foamorder.com is going to get my business, assuming they do have various ILD's of Dunlop that they will cut for me into 25" x 37and1/2" pieces, which it would appear that they do.

Reply #10 Feb 9, 2008 11:36 PM
jimsocal wrote:
I just realized that in my original thread-starting post above, I did not include the 2nd url which I referred to in the 2nd paragraph.

It SHOULD have read:

"...And just for good measure, here's another confusing web page.
http://www.foamforyou.com/Latex_Mattress%20.htm

Is this Dunlop or ?
Note that the top left photo says the mattress on top is Talalay but it's clearly not Talalay."

I have been going around and around with these people at foamforyou.com

They tell me their latex is Dunlop then refer me to a page on their site "for more information", then I go there, and the page on their site has a big header above the description that says TALALAY!

I write back and point this out and again they insist it is Dunlop.

So I say, "Where on your site is the Dunlop page? Or am I to believe that the prices you have labeled as Talalay are indeed Dunlop?

Note that I got this page originally from an ebay seller which also did not specify the type of latex, so I went to their site to see if it clarified it and it only made it more confusing!

Man, there are a lot of people out there selling stuff they know nothing about! You'd think they'd do a little research if they were going to sell it...

In any case, I think that foamorder.com is going to get my business, assuming they do have various ILD's of Dunlop that they will cut for me into 25" x 37and1/2" pieces, which it would appear that they do.

Just to update anyone who is interested in Dunlop:

Finally when I pointed out the exact url's of the confusing info at foamforyou.com, they wrote me back and told me that the banner that says "Talalay" is wrong, and in actuality it IS Dunlop. So that solves that. Now I just have to figure out whether it's cheap enough to buy from them - they seem a little flakey.

Reply #11 Feb 21, 2008 10:22 PM
I would like a little help in determining how to tell the difference between Talalay and Dunlop latex. Do Talalay and Dunlop look different? Do they feel different? Are there any other characteristics that would help determine Talalay from Dunlop?

Jimsocal states:
Dunlop latex looks very different and can be recognized in photos if you can see the sides and top of it.

Below is a picture from the Simply Organic Sleep website (URL of http://simplyorganicsleep.com/mattresses.htm ).
Without the labels I would not be able to tell which is Talalay and which is Dunlop. Any help is appreciated.

Reply #12 Feb 21, 2008 10:43 PM
tseverson wrote:
I would like a little help in determining how to tell the difference between Talalay and Dunlop latex. Do Talalay and Dunlop look different? Do they feel different? Are there any other characteristics that would help determine Talalay from Dunlop?

Jimsocal states:

Below is a picture from the Simply Organic Sleep website (URL of http://simplyorganicsleep.com/mattresses.htm ).
Without the labels I would not be able to tell which is Talalay and which is Dunlop. Any help is appreciated.

As  mccldwll pointed out, sometimes it is hard to tell the difference.

Some types of Dunlop (that I have seen) looks completely different than Talalay. It's more of a gray color and has a different pattern of holes.

However, in the picture you show above, it is clear that this type of Dunlop latex looks a lot like Talalay.

So really it is hard to tell from looking at a picture unless it is the other type of Dunlop that looks much different.

You can easily tell when you lay on it, though, because the Dunlop is much less springy, it does not "push back" like Talalay does.

Recent Posts