Tempurpedic Contour: Too soft in the morning
Dec 25, 2011 5:04 PM
Hello,

I just got my Tempurpedic Contour (Standards, not Select or Signature) two weeks ago and the mattress is soft like a sponge in the morning. My back hurts more every day.

Seems that my body temperature is making the mattress so soft that it is sagging in like an old worn out coil mattress in the morning.

I always felt comfortable with my friends' Contour Select, but never slept the whole night on it. Also my friend is 130lbs, I am 200lbs.

This is supposed to be the firmest Tempurpedic, correct? Has anybody got a similar experience and solved it with a mattress cover that insulates the mattress?

When I go to bed at night it is fine - it just gets softer and softer during the night.

Thanks

Sumu

This message was modified Dec 25, 2011 by sumu
Re: Tempurpedic Contour: Too soft in the morning
Reply #1 Dec 27, 2011 2:41 AM
That's odd.  If that's what it keeps doing, hopefully you can return it

I use a Protect A Bed on my Cloud just to protect the mattress and help it last a long time. 

Are you just putting s fitted sheet on the mattress with no protector? 

That said, i don't think the protect-a bed changes the way the mattress feels.  it would feel the same if I only had fitted sheet on and no protector.

I passed on the Contour Series because I didn't prefer 'original' type of slower reacting foam on top.  I like the softer, quicker reacting Cloud ES foam on top layrer.

This message was modified Dec 27, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #2 Dec 27, 2011 10:32 PM
Firmer than that might be the Rhapsody. Most major retailers have a two month exchange policy.
Reply #3 Dec 28, 2011 8:57 PM
Hi Sumu,

I have not actually owned one, but of the Tempurpedic line, I liked the Bellafina model as well- it has a little more spring to it like the Cloud (which is seems you may like), but it has a layer of latex under the 2" of memory foam, so it's on the firm side and you dont seem to sink as much. Just wanted to share an additional idea/option to look into for what it's worth :)

The Cloud and the Rhapsody feel quite different lying on them. Not that the Bellafina and the Cloud feel the same- but they are both a little springier and slightly less dense feeling.

Do you have an exchange period where you purchased the bed? Most places do for Tempurpedic.

Reply #4 Jan 1, 2012 2:02 PM
Hi Everybody,

thanks for your posts. I do have a 90 days return policy, for in-store credit. I am just using fitted sheets, but will try a protector - it might prevent the mattress warm up a bit less.

I swapped beds with my friend for a night and she confirmed that my Contour is harder than her Contour Select. I slept fine on hers, still have the sore back in the morning. Not sure if her bed is as soft as my new Tempurpedic sponge.

Anyway, my Chiropractic was happy with the curving of my lower back and suggested that I am in a transition period and should wait and see what happens.

Thanks

Sumu

Reply #5 Jan 21, 2012 4:46 PM
If you can return the bed, you should consider it.  I bought a Rhapsody (with my heart set on it!) and within 1 month, started getting back aches.

I've never had back problems in my life, and I slept on a Sealy Posturpedic Ultra Firm mattress for nearly 20 years!  The same mattress.  Never a back problem.

So I quickly took advantage of the retailers comfort exchange and swapped for their firmest, the Contour Select.  I couldn't reasonably opt out of Tempurpedic b/c 

I had stupidly bought the mattress with a non-refundable Tempurpedic adjustable frame (and quite frankly, it's silly to use that frame with a spring mattress.)  So the Contour has been much firmer, but hotter.  And now that I'm one month into it....backaches.  Again.  Now it's mid-upper back, in lieu of the lower back pain I had from the Rhapsody.  

And guess what?  I'm 105 pounds!  You would think my body temp would have to skyrocket to inhuman levels to make this very firm bed sink to backache levels.  Alas, I just may be one of those rare few that is not cut out for Tempurpedic.  Or everyone is lying about their "most amazing sleep ever."  Or perhaps your doc is correct, and we just need more time to adjust.  I suspect I have a tendency to roll onto my tummy, which is notoriously bad for the spine.  And it is definitely not an option on Tempurpedic.  However, how badly might I damage my back, how much suffering might I do before any potential "adjustment."  I was just fine with my traditional spring mattress.  And I'm pretty sure I can't return the bed to Tempurpedic now - and I would def be out the $1700 for the adjustable frame.  So far, it looks like a $4000.00 mistake, and a lot of potential for future back issues.

Btw, i do power yoga and for the first time EVER, I literally could not twist my body into the butterfly stretch.  It was as though my Tempurpedic bed turned my entire middle back into a concrete block of inflammation.  So beware.  All the hype about Tempurpedic may have zero to do with your own reality.  And trust me when I tell you, I spent many hours testing all the beds in the store.  An hour or so is a very different experience than sleeping the night.  Our body temp goes up and creates a different comfort level.  And if you have two bodies in the bed, which I do, that's even higher body temp and more concave sleeping.  Oh how I long for that spring action that held my body up with so much more support.  I would literally HOP out of bed in the mornings, and now i very carefully and effortfully roll over and do what I can to get out of bed.  

Yikes.

Reply #6 Feb 7, 2012 1:14 AM
Same here.

I have a very sensitive back. I have slept the last 20 years on a very firm sealy posturpedic foam mattress. I have tried many memory foam mattresses and tend to notice that many are firm on top but with softer layers underneath. That drives my back nuts.

I thought the Contour was great initially, bought it in November 2011. Very firm. But exactly as the OP says, as it warms up it gets softer and softer. By morning, I feel like I've sunk 4 inches in the bed. Its best NOT to have much between you and the mattress otherwise it makes it worse. In my case I often go to bed warm and don't need a blanket, putting my feet on top of the blanket. Not good. My feet won't sink into the mattress because of the insulation, while my middle sinks forever. With two people its worse. Sleep on my stomach and I'm in serious back trouble.

Hard to believe, but the mattress is both too hard and too soft. Now that its winter and colder, its initially like a rock, then melts to quicksand.

I have a Slumber 1 mattress I bought for my son that feels awesome. Its 3" lower density memory foam on a very firm polyurethane base. It was cheap at Walmart. Unfortunately they don't make it anymore! I've been spending months and thousands of dollars to find a mattress I can sleep on.

The Contour made my back severely go out even sleeping on my back, so I can't sleep on it anymore.

Next I'm trying a Sleep Innovations 8" mattress. Unfortunately its only 2" memory foam on top, but will hopefully be firm. I had been having trouble side sleeping on too hard a mattress, but thats preferrable to the severe back pain I'm experiencing with the Contour.

Reply #7 Feb 13, 2012 12:34 PM
BackinBlack wrote:

If you can return the bed, you should consider it.  I bought a Rhapsody (with my heart set on it!) and within 1 month, started getting back aches.

I've never had back problems in my life, and I slept on a Sealy Posturpedic Ultra Firm mattress for nearly 20 years!  The same mattress.  Never a back problem.

So I quickly took advantage of the retailers comfort exchange and swapped for their firmest, the Contour Select.  I couldn't reasonably opt out of Tempurpedic b/c 

I had stupidly bought the mattress with a non-refundable Tempurpedic adjustable frame (and quite frankly, it's silly to use that frame with a spring mattress.)  So the Contour has been much firmer, but hotter.  And now that I'm one month into it....backaches.  Again.  Now it's mid-upper back, in lieu of the lower back pain I had from the Rhapsody.  

And guess what?  I'm 105 pounds!  You would think my body temp would have to skyrocket to inhuman levels to make this very firm bed sink to backache levels.  Alas, I just may be one of those rare few that is not cut out for Tempurpedic.  Or everyone is lying about their "most amazing sleep ever."  Or perhaps your doc is correct, and we just need more time to adjust.  I suspect I have a tendency to roll onto my tummy, which is notoriously bad for the spine.  And it is definitely not an option on Tempurpedic.  However, how badly might I damage my back, how much suffering might I do before any potential "adjustment."  I was just fine with my traditional spring mattress.  And I'm pretty sure I can't return the bed to Tempurpedic now - and I would def be out the $1700 for the adjustable frame.  So far, it looks like a $4000.00 mistake, and a lot of potential for future back issues.

Btw, i do power yoga and for the first time EVER, I literally could not twist my body into the butterfly stretch.  It was as though my Tempurpedic bed turned my entire middle back into a concrete block of inflammation.  So beware.  All the hype about Tempurpedic may have zero to do with your own reality.  And trust me when I tell you, I spent many hours testing all the beds in the store.  An hour or so is a very different experience than sleeping the night.  Our body temp goes up and creates a different comfort level.  And if you have two bodies in the bed, which I do, that's even higher body temp and more concave sleeping.  Oh how I long for that spring action that held my body up with so much more support.  I would literally HOP out of bed in the mornings, and now i very carefully and effortfully roll over and do what I can to get out of bed.  

Yikes.

hopefully this post shows what tempurpedics are.

Reply #8 Feb 13, 2012 3:42 PM
roy1 wrote:

hopefully this post shows what tempurpedics are.

Indeed.  What they are to me, is a bed that allows me to sleep 8 hours and wake up with no pain in my lower back.  A bed that our local sleep clinic uses to assess sleep disorders.  They are not for everyone.  If you have a miracle bed that works for you, please share.  Otherwise you have contributed very little.  I believe the original poster has said their chiropracter has noted improvement with their spine.  

My Tempurpedic has been the best investment I've made ever.  Having the adjustable base is even better.  

Reply #9 Feb 14, 2012 2:14 PM
Good_Sleep wrote:

Indeed.  What they are to me, is a bed that allows me to sleep 8 hours and wake up with no pain in my lower back.  A bed that our local sleep clinic uses to assess sleep disorders.  They are not for everyone.  If you have a miracle bed that works for you, please share.  Otherwise you have contributed very little.  I believe the original poster has said their chiropracter has noted improvement with their spine.  

My Tempurpedic has been the best investment I've made ever.  Having the adjustable base is even better.  

congrats you have found a miracle bed a very very expensive piece of huge sponge that works for you or it could be that you could be trying to have us believe that. Previous posters post obviuosly dont count aha.

Reply #10 Feb 14, 2012 4:13 PM
roy1 wrote:

congrats you have found a miracle bed a very very expensive piece of huge sponge that works for you or it could be that you could be trying to have us believe that. Previous posters post obviuosly dont count aha.

I know you would be happier with me being miserable along with you.  And I used to be.  However, I have found the mattress for me.  I got what I paid for.  You're mad about that?  I wish I would have gotten it right the first time. 

I realize this forum is a complaint and solution forum.  Most satisfied customers aren't here to tell you how great they are sleeping.  Obviously 226 negative posts have not gotten you any closer to a solution to your problem.  I feel sorry for you. I don't believe you have tried the Allura bed.  In fact you won't pay over $2k for any bed (you've said it in past posts; or something along those lines).  You have an agenda here, I'm just not sure what it is.  What would you like us to believe?  Seriously.

Reply #11 Feb 15, 2012 3:13 AM
Good_Sleep wrote:

I know you would be happier with me being miserable along with you.  And I used to be.  However, I have found the mattress for me.  I got what I paid for.  You're mad about that?  I wish I would have gotten it right the first time. 

I realize this forum is a complaint and solution forum.  Most satisfied customers aren't here to tell you how great they are sleeping.  Obviously 226 negative posts have not gotten you any closer to a solution to your problem.  I feel sorry for you. I don't believe you have tried the Allura bed.  In fact you won't pay over $2k for any bed (you've said it in past posts; or something along those lines).  You have an agenda here, I'm just not sure what it is.  What would you like us to believe?  Seriously.

if you are so happy with your allura why are you posting here? since according to u only people who have issues post here? Looks like you have an agenda? is it to push tempurpedics.  I never said I would not pay over 2k for abed.In fact my latex beds have been over 2k and 3k. i also had tempurpedics. I think you are really unhappy with your allura.

Recent Posts