Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe vs Contour Signature
Sep 4, 2011 10:08 AM
Folks, we had a Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe for about 90 days, the wife and I liked it but I felt that it softened too much and I had slight lower back pain in the morning.  I got her to agree to send it back, VERY reluctantly as she said it was the best mattress we have ever had.  She is about 135 5 4 and I am 190  5'9.

We have since gotten the Contour Signature.  But, I am not happy at all and hope I didnt make a mistake.  It feels so hard to me, harder than it felt in 2 different stores.  I wake up with more intense mid and lower back pain, more so than I ever did with the Cloude Luxe.  My hands are tingling if I dont change position constantly.  I spent over an hour on the store mattress and didnt have this kind of sensation.  

I am hoping this mattress will soften but I am a bit worried as the CL felt great from day 1.  Anyone try the signature or have feedback on it?

If we ultimately give it back, can someone suggest which cloud to go with?  I dont really want the CL again as i think the cloud layer was too thick and too quick to break down.  My feeling is that maybe the Cloud Supreme might be the next logical step as it has a slightly thinner Cloud layer but unfortunately it lacks the HD layer and opts for the regular Tempur material.  Is this a negative?

Here's to hoping I dont have to give back the signature.

Re: Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe vs Contour Signature
Reply #1 Sep 5, 2011 3:27 AM
I posted in the other thread but I'll address your situation, obviously, everything is my opinion from what I have experienced.

You're the typical person that went to the extreme when they get back pain from a bed. You went from the softest to one of the firmest which I think was a big mistake. Like I posted in the other thread, I think the rhapsody is the hardest but the Contour Signature is is pretty close to it. When I compared side to side between the Rhaspody and CS, both are firm but the Rhapsody has a dense feel to it once you sink in, the CS is firm but it's a mushier feel once you sink in.

You have to find the slightly fimer bed than the Cloud Luxe, the Supreme is not it, if you were blind folded and had to figure out the difference between a Luxe and a Supreme, I would highly doubt you'd be able to. I think the ES layer in both are thick enough that you barely get to the HD layer in the Luxe or the Tempur layer in the Supreme. If you wanted to stay in the Cloud Series, then the normal Cloud could be your best bet.

Like I posted, I'm going to try out the Allura, the Allura may be the perfect bed for you too. It's feels softer because of the pillow top construction. I haven't gotten the Allura yet but I will post a review once I get it. I'm still skeptical on the Allura because it's a pillow top, seriously, have you seen the bed, it's just a 2inch HD pillow top sown into basically a Rhapsody and they want how much for it. But supposedly, the sown in HD pillow top makes it cooler but to me it seems you can just put a topper on top of Rhapsody and save you some serious money there..haha..

My preference is for a very soft bed but my body doesn't agree with it. So I loved the feel of the Cloud Luxe but I woke up with lower back pain, but it was awesome when I woke up.

I would suspect for you that your best bet will either be the Cloud or the Allura, you went too far in the firm side if you liked the Luxe and then went to the Contour Signature. You can always get a split king and then your wife would get the Luxe and you can find the perfect fit for you. BTW I weigh about 205lbs right now and I suspect that's the reason for the back pain, I'm just too heavy for the Luxe. But then again, I'm sure there's people that are 300+ and are fine on it.

Reply #2 Sep 6, 2011 1:56 PM
You make an excellent point. I agree with you mostly.  I did try the Allura, but to me it felt so hard.  Once you squish through that top tiny pillow top layer it felt like hitting a concrete block.  For that reason I ruled out the Allura.  We got the CS replaced with another CS due to a delivery issue (stain) they put on the bed and the 2nd CS seems softer to me than the other one.  I think I will get used to it as it is a bit better than before. I am hoping I can convince my wife to give it at least 30 days, but she says she cant be expected to not sleep for 30 days.  Sigh.. Now I need to find out which cloud will be good for the both of us as I do not want to have separate beds as the groove in between is incredibly unromantic!

Thanks for your feedback.

Reply #3 Sep 6, 2011 2:41 PM
The split is unromantic but there are ways around it..haha... So you're opinion is then that the CS is softer than the Rhapsody, I think it is also but Tempurpedic has them as equal. You may like the feel of the Rhapsody then, after all, it's the most popular tempurpedic bed for a reason. For your wife's sake, if you didn't like the Allura, your best bet may be the regular cloud. It's a lot cheaper too.
Reply #4 Sep 13, 2011 2:47 PM
I suggest sleeping on the bed for at least a few weeks.  It takes time for your body to adjust and you don't want to change beds if the bed turns out to be ok.  I would also suggest looking at your sleeping positions on the bed too.  The majority of people that sleep the best are back sleepers.  There's a reason for that and it's because your weight is evenly distributed on the bed.  The key is to have a bed that provides support to your lower back and you do.  You may need a pillow under your knees, but it's by far the healthiest way to sleep.  You may have to move to your side, but try to sleep mostly on your back.  Your hips and lower back will be happy you did I promise. 

The contour signature has plenty of 5lb foam that relieves pressure and supports and it's a great bed.  It will breakdown faster than the 7lb foam, but it will still last many years.  Look more at how you are sleeping on the bed and not the bed itself.  The memory foam will also soften in time (A few weeks) and your body will adjust and before you know it you will be getting the best sleep of your life!  Your bed is state of the art and is far better than the old box spring style.  

Reply #5 Sep 13, 2011 7:23 PM
to the poster above ... for back sleeping, adjustable base is the way to go.  very hard to mimick that position with wedges and pillows.  Putting the feet and head up even a little feels much better than laying on a flat bed with pillow under knees.  'Course adjustables don't come cheap.

As for the Luxe and Sig.  my caution is to make sure you're not sinking too much into the mattress.  Luxe is 2.75" ES over 2" TP HD, and that's a load of memory foam.  So, don't sink in too much.  You may not be happy if you do.

Reply #6 Sep 13, 2011 7:44 PM
Th whole purpose of tempurpedic is that it supports you.  You don't need an adjustable bed to get support with these great mattresses.  When you lie down they will provide support in your lower back.  You don't have to put a pillow under your knees, but many back sleepers do for added comfort.  I do suggest a tempurpedic pillow for the head.  I prefer the Cloud because it's soft, but not too soft.  There are some that prefer an adjustable bed and that's great too.  I just prefer the standard platform foundation that comes with tempurpedic.   
Reply #7 Sep 26, 2011 9:52 PM
 I am so curious as to what moolman & Robster will find with your new choices.

Because reading this string of comments between you two was exactly my same predicament.  We Purchased the Cloud-Luxe first.  I am 6'2" 200lb and my wife 5'2" and light frame.  She loved loved that bed.  I loved it at the store and the first night.  Yet I was very confused the following weeks as to how I would wake up with such pain in my lower back, yet at the same time, I slept great.  The pain was getting worse and my wife could see it was not working for me and even she had noticed some back pain by the 30th day.  So after 35 days, we took it back.  She still swears it was the most comfortable bed though.  I have never awoken with back pain, so I knew at least one thing: me & this bed don't match.  My belief is that when it comes to Tempur-pedic, the ratios of comfort layer to support layer is the MAJOR key. Also what makes up that comfort layer has a lot to do with it. Have you felt the HD Foam? While it is more dense, it feels more like moosh.  The problem with the Cloud-Luxe for me was that it had 2.75" of that mooshy ES foam, and then, all you get for support for your back, is more mooshy foam because it was only 2" of HD.  Increasing the thickness of the HD ($$$)  or just choosing Tempur as the support foam may have made this bed better.

Then, still ensnared by the belief that one could possibly have both a good night's sleep & not waking with pains, we kept searching within the Tempur-Pedic line up.  SO, if soft beds gave me pain, then "surely firm is what WE need."    We chose the Rhapsody, since it felt soft enough at that warm store we were in, while still firm.   It is now 6 weeks into the Rhapsody. 6 weeks of stepping on the bed, trying it without the bed cover, etc. to make it feel softer.  Man, we still sleep well,  BUT we wake up every so often to move because of pain somewhere. Pain in the back again, although in a slightly different area of the lower back.  Pain in the hips from sleeping on our sides. Pain in the shoulders.  

SO,  after feeling that we might not have given the Cloud-luxe a fair enough break-in time, we want to give this bed at least 60 days.  But, I am pretty sure it is going back to the store.

The ONLY possible runners up are the Contour-Signature, The Cloud-Supreme,  and maybe the Allura (not too sure though about that one).

I originally wanted the Allura from the start because of the reviews.  All the reviews said it was softer than the Rhapsody.  BUT , in all the tests we did in the stores, laying down for 15 min times, it felt like a soft layer on top of a a really hard layer.  They should have a store that let's you stay the night and sleep in these beds.  You can't know anything until you wake up the next day it seems.

ANYWAY,  I really want to know the outcome of you (Robster & Moolman)'s selection of the Contour-Signature and the Allura.  You've experienced the anguish.  Help! Brochures don't help.    

Reply #8 Sep 27, 2011 10:26 AM
My suggestion with memory foam beds is this - be very careful choosing those really plush beds (i.e. Cloud Luxe, iComfort Revolution).

If I sit on a bed and it's got that siiiiiiiiiink reaction, my butt just keeps going down, that bed is going to end up hurting my spine.  I had an iComfort Revolution for 4 weeks and that mattress reminds me quite a bit of the Cloud Luxe.  Too much sink into the bed, pillow seems too high when sleeping on side.  It got me in the neck after a week or so, and my lower back was starting to tweak after 4 weeks.

I'm on the regular Cloud and I sink enough into that mattress.  It's just about right.  I might even sink too much into a Supreme.  I'll bet a lot of people walk by the regular Cloud and pass it off because it's only 8" height.  I only have 2 1/2 weeks to speak of, but if it stays the same, should be set.

As for the Rhapsody, that bed seemed awesome because it doesn't allow much sink into it that I could tell, but the conformance was off the hook.  The more the mattress conforms, the more it distributes weight and relieves pressure, I believe.

Reply #9 Sep 28, 2011 3:02 AM
I'm posting an early reponse since Zanzabar asked, I got the Allura only a couple of days ago and I want to give it a full 2-3 weeks before I say it's bad or good but I'll post again in 2-3 weeks if someone reminds me.

So far, I've slept about a month in the Cloud Luxe and a month in the Rhapsody, only about 4 days on the Allura. In terms of feel, there's nothing like the Cloud Series, it's just the softest period, my opinion is that the Luxe and Supreme have the same exact feel. The Allura is definitly softer than the Rhapsody by a good amount. I have them side by side in a Split King and it's very noticeable. I didn't think that extra 2 inch topper made that much of a difference in feel but it does. My preference is for a really soft bed, hence, I love the feel of the Cloud Luxe but like I stated, my body did not agree. Mostly lower back pain. After 4 days, I have to say the Allura has a really nice soft feel to it too. It's not that very soft feel of the Cloud beds but it's pretty close with much better support.

The jury is still out for me on the Allura though since it's too early, the first day I had just as bad back pain as before but on day 4, way less pain and it seems to be going away. I'll know by the end of the week. Even though I have an adjustable bed, I'm using the bed flat since I want to make sure I like the bed as is, with no help.

The Allura for me has that soft feel with really good support but I suspect the regular Cloud may also, I'm really torn on this bed because of the price. It's just crazy to charge an extra $900 over the Rhapsody for a 2 inch topper in the Twin XL size. If you read my other posts, you know I did not pay full retail for my Tempurpedics, that's the only thing that let's me sleep at night in comfort. Please don't PM me asking where I bought my bed, up to you to negotiate, and this is America, everything is negotiable...haha... regardless of what tempurpedic tells you.

Reply #10 Oct 7, 2011 2:38 PM
I think I'm just screwed, the Allura is not working out for me too. Just keep having this lower back pain when I wake up. It's been about 2 weeks and on some mornings it's been a slight pain but today, it was pretty bad. I guess maybe I should of just gone with the classic Tempurbed, I slept on the original Tempurpedic bed for years back in the day in college and beyond.

My wife loves her Rhapsody and will not give it up, it took her about 2 weeks to get used to it, but now she swears you have to pry the bed out of her dead hands. She says she has no more join pain anywhere and she likes that the bed is supportive and lets you sink in but feels very firm.

I will give the Allura another 2 weeks and see how it goes. I can exchange it again but no refunds for me. So far I have tried the Cloud Luxe, too soft, Rhaposdy, too hard, and now Allura, I think too soft. What the heck is in between? I guess I'll just have to get a sleep number bed or something, even with the bad reviews because I may need the adjustablility...haha.. my body is getting old.

Reply #11 Oct 8, 2011 11:08 AM
Hi Moolman,

I wish you the best of luck and I'm sorry your having such a rough time with it :( I went through the same thing for a year with back pain, but mine was always middle back. But I could never put my finger quite on the issue to correct it, just knew it was my mattress. Well, mattresses. We're on our fifth in 2.5 years unfortunately. Westin Heavenly bed twice, latex from SleepEZ, super cheapo firm from Sam's club just to hold us over, and now the Embody Introspection memory foam. I will say that we've had the Embody now for over a month and I dont think I've had back pain a single morning since. So, I'd say I am pretty happy with that. I do think that we're slowing getting some sinking on each side and the middle of our king is definitely firmer, but it's not been a problem yet. Although it irks me a bit. But, it's not causing any issues or pain. The other bed I am truly entrigued with is the Termpurpedic Bellafina. But, it's pretty darn firm. I also love the Deluxe- seems pretty middle of the road. They stopped making Deluxe, but many stores still have their twin XL floor models and will sell them at a discount.

Have you tried the Sleep Number out yet? I did go to the store and try it. Of course, the only one I liked was the $3,000+ memory foam one. But- just a note from my own personal opinion on sleep number. I have never had one. But, when I was in the store, I didn't really feel like the support of the bed was so adjustable. If you have it full of air, it's pretty firm. If you let air out, the mattress is not really any softer, your bottom just sinks more b/c the air is moving out from under you literally like an air mattress. A weird feeling and  I wasn't a fan. But, you'll have to try it out for yourself and see what you think!

Best of luck!!!

Reply #12 Oct 8, 2011 11:35 AM
moolman wrote:

If you read my other posts, you know I did not pay full retail for my Tempurpedics, that's the only thing that let's me sleep at night in comfort. Please don't PM me asking where I bought my bed, up to you to negotiate, and this is America, everything is negotiable...haha... regardless of what tempurpedic tells you.

It's not what Tempurpedic tells a customer, it's the retailers that confirm they are required to sell at the standard price.  If they don't, Tempurpedic may cut that store off.

I don't know what to say about your back.  You must be sleeping on your side, right?  Maybe go back to a standard innerspring for a while to see if the pain goes away?

FWIW, I don't have back or neck pain after 4 weeks on my regular Cloud.  At this point, I can say it's the best mattress I've ever had.  Last night I tried to fall asleep on the innerspring + 2" medium density poly foam guest bed.  Couldn't do it.  Too uncomfortable.  I'm one of the ones who would need to take a TP travel topper  when out of town :)

Reply #13 Oct 8, 2011 11:47 AM
moolman wrote:

I think I'm just screwed, the Allura is not working out for me too. Just keep having this lower back pain when I wake up. It's been about 2 weeks and on some mornings it's been a slight pain but today, it was pretty bad. I guess maybe I should of just gone with the classic Tempurbed, I slept on the original Tempurpedic bed for years back in the day in college and beyond.

My wife loves her Rhapsody and will not give it up, it took her about 2 weeks to get used to it, but now she swears you have to pry the bed out of her dead hands. She says she has no more join pain anywhere and she likes that the bed is supportive and lets you sink in but feels very firm.

I will give the Allura another 2 weeks and see how it goes. I can exchange it again but no refunds for me. So far I have tried the Cloud Luxe, too soft, Rhaposdy, too hard, and now Allura, I think too soft. What the heck is in between? I guess I'll just have to get a sleep number bed or something, even with the bad reviews because I may need the adjustablility...haha.. my body is getting old.

Why are you jumping between lines from Cloud Luxe to Rhapsody, etc?  Then talking about a Sleep Number bed? Have you tried the Cloud Supreme or even the regular Cloud? 

Don't pass off even the regular Cloud just because it's only 8" height!  I've got 4 weeks on it, and I'm sure it's the best mattress I've ever had. It's soft for sure.  Some naysayers will taunt .... 'It's going to break down and leave a sink hole in 6 months!" ...   Really?  Anyone really think Tempurpedic makes beds that give out in 6 months?  We'll see.  I can't prove my case for 6 months, or years, but we'll see.

I forgot how much sink the Allura has.  I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty darn sure you want to avoid sinking in a lot.  Last time I tried Cloud Luxe, I knew there's no way I could have that bed.  I had a Revolution, the Luxe felt similar in terms of how much I sink in.  Just not good for my back.

I think you might be missing an opportunity by not trying the regular Cloud.  The Cloud are said to have the softest initial feel.  Another benefit is the response of the foam is quicker.  I prefer it over the classic Tempur foam at surface.  Doesn't sleep hot.  Only downside is slight odor, but it's dissipating.  I don't know how many exchanges you can do, but keep it in mind.

The last benefit .. regular Cloud set in only $1450 in twin XL for your split King set.  Not too bad!

This message was modified Oct 8, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #14 Dec 12, 2011 5:49 PM
So far we have spent 30 days on our Signature. The very first morning i experienced lower back pain. Been going to my chiropractor to see if there has been something there all along that my 6" of foam toppers have been hiding for the past 3 years.

X-rays show that everything is fine but he's doing minor adjustments on me just the same.

I have also noticed i do more tossing and turning on this HARD foam mattress as well......

SO...after much consideration i called the Mattress Firm and am going thru the process of exchanging it for the Cloud Supreme. We liked that one originally but they had floor models of the Signature for a TON of a lot less $. I was thinking with my wallet and not my instincts on that one. Will keep everyone posted to my upgrade experience.

They call the signature Medium Firm. Its pretty darned firm!

We also bought the Leggett and Platt adjustable base. No manner of adjusting has made this Signature mattress acceptable. BUT so you know, most of those mattress stores are prohibited to talk about the L&P base as they want to sell you the Tempurpedic base at twice the price. But when i brought it up, they were like "Yeah, we can sell you one of those too"..but dont expect them to bring it up in conversation. L&P was supposedly THE adjustable base for Tempurpedic for years...but i guess TP is going it alone and charging a fortune for them.

Dennis

Reply #15 Dec 15, 2011 3:44 PM
We also bought the Leggett and Platt adjustable base. No manner of adjusting has made this Signature mattress acceptable. BUT so you know, most of those mattress stores are prohibited to talk about the L&P base as they want to sell you the Tempurpedic base at twice the price. But when i brought it up, they were like "Yeah, we can sell you one of those too"..but dont expect them to bring it up in conversation. L&P was supposedly THE adjustable base for Tempurpedic for years...but i guess TP is going it alone and charging a fortune for them.

FYI, the reason many retailers like myself do not bring up this option is due to the fact teh Tempurpedic could tell the customer (in the event of a warranty claim) that since the base is not Tempurpedic (purchased after a specific date), the customer has voided the warranty. There are a lot of things retailers could sell that would inadvertantly hurt the customer and end up losing business for the retailer...

I encourage clients to ask all of the right questions and let me answer them to the best of my ability... It is true that L&P made the base (up till about 2 years ago I think) and then Tempur went with all Tempur branded products... and requires that retailers only display and sell the matching sets... However, we cannot keep a customer from purchasing things a la cart to help them with price!

Recent Posts