Suggestions for dog bed topper to support 250# ???
Nov 6, 2010 5:42 PM
Yeah, I'm looking for mattress toppers to support a 250# dog.  We actually own 2 (english) Mastiffs  and one of our boys is developing arthritis and I'm getting so confused on what's going to support his weight, yet provide some softness.

Other mastiff owners use similar bed types or purchase new beds every year.  I priced creating new beds with a local foam distributor and 2 layers of foam came out to $300 per bed. 

So, ideally, I'd like to pick up foam toppers vs. new beds since all of our dog beds are less than one year old. 

1. During the night they sleep on twin-sized firm mattresses and these may not need any toppers. I do notice they tend to sleep on their stomachs and move to the carpet to sleep on their sides - but that could be due to the 39" bed width.

2. During the day they nap on 54" diameter cotton-filled papasan chair futon pads (Pier 1 Imports).  These have flattened to about 2" of cotton, plus the thick cotton cover, plus a thin waterproof mattress pad and bed sheets.  On the papasan pads, they sleep stomach or side but I'm sure the cotton will become lumpy soon. 

Everyone recommends memory foam but I don't think it will work for us.  They don't like the heat and they won't like any difficulty shifting their weight or sinking too deeply.   

We did have a convoluted foam mattress topper years ago which they seemed to like - good air ventilation, support, softness.  But they've also grown a lot bigger and I'm not sure if that's still a good option.

I'd love to hear any suggestions! 

Re: Suggestions for dog bed topper to support 250# ???
Reply #1 Nov 6, 2010 6:44 PM
I love to hear about pampered pets!  So cute.  I would make them a latex bed.  That would last longer and no toxic fumes like memory foam.  24ILD is a soft topper, I use 4" for my mattress over Dunlop.

Good luck, show us some pictures.smiley

Reply #2 Nov 9, 2010 3:47 PM
Hi Leo, thanks for the suggestion.  How thick do you think I need?   Do you think a 2" or 3" topper will be good on top of the cushions?

Thanks!

Reply #3 Nov 10, 2010 12:49 AM
I certainly am no expert on supporting 250 lb. dogs or people in a mattress.  But for heavy people more (as in inches) is better support.  They will just crush 2" down easily.  So at least 3", really 4".   I am not familiar with the cushions you are speaking about.  Since they are getting up in the years with arthritis you don't want them to jump up to a high type of bed.  Can't you put the latex and or cushions on the floor?

Maybe there is a forum for big dogs and beds.  Don't really know how to advise you otherwise.  But I agree memory foam sounds like a bad idea for heavy dogs or people.  I personally can't stand the stuff.

Wonder how bean bag chairs would work for big dogs.  Just thinking out loud.  Good luck helping to make your dogs more comfortable.

This message was modified Nov 10, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #4 Nov 10, 2010 2:35 PM
Thanks again.  I was hoping I could make do with mattress toppers. 

Both custom purchased latex/HR poly and "big dog" beds that could support their weight are over $400, and we would want 6 beds.  If I did end up starting from scratch - wouldn't I need another layer on top?   Maybe 4" firm latex on the bottom and 1" memory foam on the top?   Are there any convoluted foams that support heavy weight and don't break down too fast?

Sigh, mastiff owners usually end up using mattress pads - but we don't have the space to place mattress pads throughout the house.

Reply #5 Nov 12, 2010 2:52 AM
My large dog has a huge memory foam bed from Foam By Mail. I bought the biggest size so I could fold it in half to give him extra cushioning. He's had it for several years, and it's just now starting to sink in too much, so I'm going to get another one to put on top of it. He's an elderly dog and he loves his memory foam bed. He weighs 75 lb. I don't know how well this would work with 250 lb. That's a lot of dog!

The only thing I don't like about their dog beds is that the covers are upholstered and aren't removeable or washable, and it's hard to find proper size covers anywhere. I had to wrap a sheet around it to use as a cover. You'd think that since it's made for dogs, they would put a removable and washable cover on it instead of an upholstered cover.

My dog also has a second memory foam bed, but it's a smaller and thinner one that I got at PetSmart. He also has a comforter on the floor. He alternates between the 3. He likes the memory foam best when he's very tired or sore from running. When he wants a bed that he can make into a nest, he uses the comforter.

This message was modified Nov 12, 2010 by tnpd

Recent Posts