Split layer question
May 29, 2008 8:50 AM
When you opt for the split layer system should the top layer always be one whole piece (not split)?  Seems like if this is true and you only have 3 layers total it limits your switching-around choices.  If all 3 layers are split, including the top layer,  has anyone had any problems with that?  Especially during those "times" when both parties.... ahem.... shall we say, meet in the middle?  Not to be too indelicate here, but inquiring minds want to know.  I'm specifically talking about queen size.

Mimi

Re: Split layer question
Reply #1 May 29, 2008 11:00 AM
With Flobeds mattresses, the usual top layer is an eggcrate convoluted layer that's thinner and softer than the latex cores. This layer is essentially a topper that goes inside the mattress case. It's in addition to the 3 cores, is not split, and it goes on top of the other layers with the pointy parts of the "egg crate" pointing up. (I had to double check on that, because to me that seemed strange). However, that's just Flobeds' design. With SleepEZ, I'm pretty sure their system consists of just the latex cores and they're all split. SavvyRest, another mattress I looked at, seems similar to SleepEZ in design. I think split is a good thing for three reasons: it allows you to configure the firmness of the two sides of the bed differently, it makes the heavy, floppy latex much more manageable, and if you have to make an exchange it reduces the shipping costs. As for the other part of your question, I can't really answer that since the Flobeds I bought is not split on top (because of that eggcrate layer) AND my 80-year-old widowed mother sleeps alone. However, I'd be surprised if anyone who has a split top layer would say they can feel any sort of discontinuity or crease in the middle, if that's what you're worried about. Don't forget, the split latex layers are compressed tightly together in the mattress case, which also has an inch or two of  thickness to it, then on top of that you probably have at the very least a mattress cover if not a topper too.  Even if the top cores are of different ILDs, it's unlikely that they will be so totally different in firmness, thus reducing the likelihood of feeling a crease. Only if the two sides of the bed were of very different total firmness configurations could I see a problem, and in that case I'd imagine that you'd "meet" on the firmer side of the bed. In that situation I imagine a couple might want to upsize their bed to King or Cal King if they're worried about falling off one side.

Philly888

This message was modified May 29, 2008 by Philly888

Recent Posts