So I spoke with Dewey at Flo-beds......
Mar 3, 2008 2:33 PM
I might just give this whole kit thing a go.  I wanted to review the things we spoke about to see if it jives with your experiences.

First, he suggested I go with Med over Firm over X-firm.  I am still thinking it might be better to go with a Firm over X-Firm over Super Firm to make sure I really have a supportive foundation for my back and hips.  He then suggested to try one side of each, which is great but then I for sure have to do at least one return.

Second, I had decided to go with the Posture Deluxe, which has 3 cores and the 2" convoluted top (which was a med firmness- 28ILD).  I asked him about something other than the convoluted top but he really wanted us to try that first, and assured me if I didn't like it we could get anything else we waned.  Any thoughts about convoluted tops?  The thing that drove me to want the Firm over X-Firm over Superfirm was that I didn't think it made sense to have a MED convoluted top over a MED core.  Insights on that line of thinking?

Lastly, he suggested the regular slat foundation in the fir wood (rather than pine).

Also, I want to make sure I can assemble this all by myself.  DH will 'let' me do this but he isn't going to be helping me with any of the assembly- he already thinks I'm insane.

Oh, and how easy/difficult is it to repack a layer to return for a comfort exchange?

thanks.
Jen
Re: So I spoke with Dewey at Flo-beds......
Reply #1 Mar 3, 2008 10:30 PM
Be sure you know what and how latex works for your body.
Read my thread describing my 2 month ordeal (Called just ordered Sleepez 10,000) ... where I gave up and I am going back to a spring mattress now :(

I still LOVE latex, just can't use it for the entire bed. :)
Reply #2 Mar 3, 2008 11:31 PM
I suggest you go with the firm over the X-Firm over the Super Firm and you will be happier.  It is very easy to exhange latex cores and I had no problems assembling the bed myself since I had the split cores and the slat box.  I had ordered the pine slat box and I think if I could do it again, I would have ordered the Firm wood also since the pine smell took several days to go away.  I have three cores and a topper and I feel that is the best way to go. I also exhanged my legs twice and now have 10" legs that raises the bed up but is still low enough for me and I am petite. I love being able to store things under the bed. I bought a wrap around eyelet bed skirt so no one can see that I have plastic containers under my bed.  Dave overnighted me the headboard brackets when my Wesley Allen Iron Headboard arrived and it was easy to attach.

I am not quite 5 feet and I am a light weight so I preferred a soft 1" topper over the 2" topper the bed comes with.  I know others that love the 2" topper. The zippered mattress cover is very comfortable and makes the bed look like a real bed. It also has a little give and I have no allergies to it.

Reply #3 Mar 4, 2008 5:22 AM
How firm do you like your bed? Like Novahelp I ordered a SleepEZ medium/firm/x-firm or 32-38-44 ILD and it was so hard it made me ache all over. Even really firm Talalay latex feels squishy unlike a hard innerspring mattress, but it can exert a lot of pressure against your body since it is really resilient. Some people are not at all sensitive to this, but if you have any kind of arthritis or inflammatory conditions it can really hurt!

Fortunately you are ordering from Flobeds so you can get unlimited exchanges during the 90 day trial period, and unless you are really lucky or can pretty much sleep on anything, you will probably have to make several exchanges before you find the ideal configuration. Sometimes it does make sense to have a medium topper over a medium core. It just depends on how it feels to you.

If you get the split configuration the cores are fairly easy to handle and pack up. Otherwise it can be a real struggle, particularly at the higher ILDs.

I assume DH is your husband? Nice of him to "let" you buy the bed you want. But if he's going to share it with you the least he can do is help put it together.

Enjoy!

This message was modified Mar 4, 2008 by cloud9
Reply #4 Mar 4, 2008 10:20 AM
  • For me, sleeping directly on Latex is either too firm or too soft but is perfect with a soft latex topper and a very firm base.  I really think Latex needs some kind of topper for cushion and firmness underneath but that is my opinion.  I also think toppers should be not thicker than 2" but for me 1" works best.
Reply #5 Mar 4, 2008 1:58 PM
I'm finding that after three nights sleeping directly on the Carpenter Dream Coil mattress pad which is Omalon PU, I prefer that next to my back than I do even the firmest latex. As I mentioned in the Dream Coil thread, latex no matter what the ILD just seems to have a more jiggly feel and I notice that it's harder to turn without bouncing at the same time. With the Omalon topper, I don't feel that. It's a more stable feeling. I believe that for me, latex in small quantities works best INSIDE my mattress, but not as a top comfort layer. I also prefer a thin base of extra firm HR PU foam, as well.

cloud9 wrote:
How firm do you like your bed? Like Novahelp I ordered a SleepEZ medium/firm/x-firm or 32-38-44 ILD and it was so hard it made me ache all over. Even really firm Talalay latex feels squishy unlike a hard innerspring mattress, but it can exert a lot of pressure against your body since it is really resilient. Some people are not at all sensitive to this, but if you have any kind of arthritis or inflammatory conditions it can really hurt! <p>Fortunately you are ordering from Flobeds so you can get unlimited exchanges during the 90 day trial period, and unless you are really lucky or can pretty much sleep on anything, you will probably have to make several exchanges before you find the ideal configuration. Sometimes it does make sense to have a medium topper over a medium core. It just depends on how it feels to you.</p><p>If you get the split configuration the cores are fairly easy to handle and pack up. Otherwise it can be a real struggle, particularly at the higher ILDs. </p><p>I assume DH is your husband? Nice of him to &quot;let&quot; you buy the bed you want. But if he's going to share it with you the least he can do is help put it together.</p><p>Enjoy!
Reply #6 Mar 4, 2008 2:11 PM
I think I like jiggly/bouncy.  It makes it a bit more spring like, no? without there actually being hard springs that is.  Let me put it this way, I would much rather bounce than sink in, lol.

After my allergy testing today I think I am leaning again towards the kit.  I know it kinda sucks that DH (dear husband) isn't really supporting me on this per say, but at least he's not blocking it.  He could care less what he sleeps on.  I'm not sure why since he does have disc problems, but that's the way it is.  I told him if he doesn't help me move the mattress I will hire movers to do it.  I think I'd rather hire movers anyways.

See, it's hard for me to say that I *know* what latex feels like since the one I likes was a Stearns and Foster so how much of what I was feeling was because of the latex vs the 'comfort layers'.  But it seemed nice and I was pleasantly surprised at the springy feel, which I enjoyed.  On the positive side, I do believe I could be happy on more than one kind of mattress.  I don't have opposition to coils per say except that it still comes with several inches of poor quality PU foam on top.  I haven't found one mattress with what I would consider minimal padding and an acceptable coil count, not to mention acceptable coil quality.
Reply #7 Mar 5, 2008 5:54 AM
Go with the Talalay latex! If you like that springy feeling you'll love it. You'll also be getting the best, longest lasting and most durable bedding material available. The nice thing about ordering from Flobeds is that if you don't like it--or DH finds it's effecting his disc problem adversely, you can return it for a full refund and just be out the shipping. And you'll also have ample opportunity to tweak it before it comes to that.
Reply #8 Mar 5, 2008 4:58 PM
I guess since I have springs, I don't need TOO much bounce. :) And, I definitely don't like sinking in! Again, I'm just fortunate to be able to have this store in my town (where I bought my zippered mattress). That way I can have my cake and eat it, too. Coils WITHOUT the poor quality foam on top. ---> http://www.baybed.com/

LPAD wrote:
I think I like jiggly/bouncy. It makes it a bit more spring like, no? without there actually being hard springs that is. Let me put it this way, I would much rather bounce than sink in, lol.<BR><BR>After my allergy testing today I think I am leaning again towards the kit. I know it kinda sucks that DH (dear husband) isn't really supporting me on this per say, but at least he's not blocking it. He could care less what he sleeps on. I'm not sure why since he does have disc problems, but that's the way it is. I told him if he doesn't help me move the mattress I will hire movers to do it. I think I'd rather hire movers anyways.<BR><BR>See, it's hard for me to say that I *know* what latex feels like since the one I likes was a Stearns and Foster so how much of what I was feeling was because of the latex vs the 'comfort layers'. But it seemed nice and I was pleasantly surprised at the springy feel, which I enjoyed. On the positive side, I do believe I could be happy on more than one kind of mattress. I don't have opposition to coils per say except that it still comes with several inches of poor quality PU foam on top. I haven't found one mattress with what I would consider minimal padding and an acceptable coil count, not to mention acceptable coil quality.
This message was modified Mar 5, 2008 by BeddyBye

Recent Posts