since money is tight and i sleep on one side of my queen size mattress would this work
Oct 22, 2010 6:29 PM
i guess what iam wanting to know is would their be any problems  with just getting a twin  latex topper?
Re: since money is tight and i sleep on one side of my queen size mattress would this work
Reply #1 Oct 22, 2010 7:44 PM
OMG is that ever a "loaded" question with many many different versions of "it depends" in almost every answer.

I guess the most important of them would be why are you considering a topper in the first place?

Phoenix

Re: since money is tight and i sleep on one side of my queen size mattress would this work
Reply #2 Oct 22, 2010 8:06 PM
cause of pain  and trying to get the right latex topper for me     i have recent posts  put my name in search
Reply #3 Oct 22, 2010 8:14 PM
It would be a lot easier if you put the information in this thread to save me (and others who may be able to help) some searching and reading :)

It would also make it easier for others that are yet to come here to follow the flow of information that led to a possible solution to a specific problem

Phoenix

Reply #4 Oct 22, 2010 8:16 PM
There is nothing wrong with doing that.  There will be a noticable dropoff on the other half of the bed, so if you tend to sprawl out it may bother you.  You might want to put put some folded up blankets or something on the other half to even it out a bit.   Obviously the thicker the topper, the bigger the dropoff.

Also, consider getting twin XL so at least the length is right.

In the long run you may not be happy with the unbalance, so it will cost you more if you end up replacing it with a full queens size.  You could ultimately get another twin XL and cut it to the right width.

Reply #5 Oct 22, 2010 8:32 PM
thanks sandman  after  reading your post  i think i won't do it, like you said i may have to end up buying another twin xl  and that cost more buy to seperate then one  queen topper.  and i think iam going with  the latex topper dunlop plush from rocky mountain mattress.   and those wool mattress pads you use  how thick of a mattress will those work for?
This message was modified Oct 22, 2010 by tony
Reply #6 Oct 22, 2010 10:47 PM
OR you can have one type/firmness level of topper on one side, and a different type on the other, so that you have the option of both. 
Reply #7 Oct 22, 2010 11:09 PM
Part of the reasons for my questions about what you were trying to "get to" was because sleeping on the edge of a layer of latex can be very different from sleeping in the middle ... especially in a thinner layer. It is not as supportive on the edge. This would mean that if you only had 1/2 of the bed covered, you would have much less than this even for a "sweet spot".

Phoenix

Reply #8 Oct 23, 2010 3:22 AM
I know he said 'queen', but my brain was thinking 'king' size bed, sorry.  Yes, that would be too narrow to split, at least for me!
This message was modified Oct 23, 2010 by Angel
Reply #9 Oct 23, 2010 11:16 AM
The queen should last longer as well, since it can be rotated.  You are only using half at a time.
Reply #10 Oct 23, 2010 3:38 PM
tony wrote:

and those wool mattress pads you use  how thick of a mattress will those work for?

If you are referring to the Dormeir mattress protector, the regular skirt is good for up to 13" mattress depth, maybe even 14", but beyond that you need the extra deep skirt that is 24".

Recent Posts