Simmons WorldClass Angelique Extra Firm?
Jul 18, 2008 9:49 PM
Hi,

This will be the first time I will actually buy a new mattress. I just got a job and so far always bought futtons or a used mattress as our last one. The last used one we bought (I got married) was a 3 year old Simmons Beautyrest WorldClass Exceptionale Diamond Firm (it was a good deal I though; $230 including a nice frame and bed side tables) and we slept really good on it the last 2 years. But we are moving out of state for our new jobs and I don't want to fill half of our truck with just our bed and I don't know if it will be still as comfy after moving halfway through the U.S. 

I saw Macys has a sale going on and they advertised the Simmons Beautyrest WorldClass Angelique Extra Firm King size for $2150 (instead of $4090. I hope somone on this forum can help me with my noob questions.

1. I assume this is a good mattress since it is one of their more expensive ones. Can anyone confrim/clarify this?

2. I assume this is a decent price since it is a Macys semi annual sale, not some local mattress shop that has a sale every other week?

Could you please verify or clear up those assumptions?

Thank you for all your help!!

Re: Simmons WorldClass Angelique Extra Firm?
Reply #1 Jul 18, 2008 11:20 PM
my experience is 50% off at macy's is the normal selling price elsewhere. their prices are never very good unless you can get something much steeper, like 60-75% off.

i almost bought a Simmons Beautyrest Black (around $3k) at macy's until i did a little more research... that would have been a terrible waste of money.
Reply #2 Jul 19, 2008 2:32 AM
nabby wrote:
my experience is 50% off at macy's is the normal selling price elsewhere. their prices are never very good unless you can get something much steeper, like 60-75% off.

i almost bought a Simmons Beautyrest Black (around $3k) at macy's until i did a little more research... that would have been a terrible waste of money.

So where did you end up buying a mattress? Was it still the Black?

Thanks!

Reply #3 Jul 19, 2008 10:09 AM
i actually wound up getting a tempurpedic classic from Sleepys (bleh). they are shady but as long as you know what you're getting into i guess it's ok. tempurpedics are price-fixed so there's no bargaining on price, but i got some things thrown in to make it a halfway-decent deal.  that said, the bed is killing me... my wife loves it and has never slept better but it's contorting me out of shape. nothing wrong with the mattress, just a bad fit for me personally... not sure what i'm going to get now, sigh.
Reply #4 Jul 19, 2008 10:19 AM
oh - so the reason i don't recommend the Black is it's basically the same mattress as other WorldClass models, but with some useless "luxury" fluff like cashmere and silk thrown in that have no effect on the performance of the mattress - they just feel nice in the showroom. underneath it all is the same pillow-top foam that'll likely have impressions after a few years. the Exceptionale is supposedly better than the Black in terms of construction, but if they all have pillow tops that collapse does it really matter?

i haven't actually owned a pillow top myself, but everywhere i look it seems like someone is complaining about their poor durability. even some of the salespeople i've asked have said the pillowtop isn't really warranted for impressions and doesn't last as long as the rest of the mattress. so like others here, i'm currently looking into getting a firm-ish coil spring mattress that has a minimal amount of foam, then will layer my own topper on it. i'm going out to a few stores today,

p.s. at one point i ordered a vera wang latex from sleepys - i wasn't even sure about it but the guy said, "oh it's on warehouse clearance for 50% off (making it $1999), just put $25 refundable deposit on it so we can hold onto it for you."  i said ok, but then canceled it a day later because i was sure i didn't like it. i went to the store and the salesperson said "call our 800 number to cancel" okaaay... you took the order so don't know why you can't cancel it, but whatever. i called, got transferred to customer service. they said cancellation dept would call me back. i get a call back asking why i'm canceling, is it price? no i just don't like it... "can we offer you an additional $500 off?" uh... no thanks. "ok we will put the cancellation through." half hour later i get yet ANOTHER call from the billing department. "can we offer you $800 off?" NO, i don't want it. so i finally got my $25 back, but it was all very shady... i could have gotten that "$3800" mattress for $1200! just shows you how much they're ripping you off on the showroom floor... also, practically EVERY store/salesperson i talked to said "oh we only have one left" or "we have a special warehouse clearance on that one." apparently anything you're interested in is on "clearance"... don't fall for it!
Reply #5 Jul 19, 2008 12:43 PM
Interesting! Wow I didn't even go to the store yet and I already start hating buying a mattress as much as I hate buying a car. I wish Costco had a bigger selection. I know its not the cheapest, but at least I know I won't get totally ripped off. Thanks again.

Recent Posts