Should I return my bed (less than 1 yr old) or buy new frame?
Mar 30, 2010 10:17 AM
Hey all,

I purchased a Sealys Posturpedic Mattress (and box spring) from Costco less than a year ago and i am unhappy with it. It is slumping in the middle, however, I just realized that my bed frame may not be adaquate enough. My father gave me an old steel frame that does not have a center support bar. I am convinced this has something to do with why I am so unhappy with the mattress. It is a comfortable bed with memory foam on top (i think).

Now I have the option of returning it for a full refund at Costco. I also went to Select Comfort and checked out the queen size mattress there and also have a $1000 coupon off their P6 bed (3" breathable laytex top). Grand total $1500 + $60 (delivery) + $80 (feet for the foundation) + tax of course... can finance at 0% for 6 months and also payoff $600 from the Costco refund. 

I have a few questions:
1) Is my bed perminantly damaged? If not, would it be worth it to get a new steel frame?

2) If it is perminantly damaged, is it worth it to upgrade to the select comfort given my circumstances? (note: i have slept on a select comfort twin mattress for over 7 years when I was growing up; I do like them)

I just don't want to dish out the cash if I don't have to; though this may be a deal I shouldn't pass up.

Thanks!

Re: Should I return my bed (less than 1 yr old) or buy new frame?
Reply #1 Mar 30, 2010 6:51 PM
Any bed you do buy will require a strong frame unless you put it on the floor, so I'd start by getting a new frame and see how that works. IF the springs are damaged, then yes it's damaged permanently. If it's just the foam that has broken down then you can do mattress surgery on it and replace the foam with latex.

If that doesn't work, and you can still return it, then try returning it. Or just return it and start fresh.

Didn't know you could return a bed at CostCo after nearly  a year, though...?

What kind of latex does Select Comfort use? If you like it and it's good latex, it might be a way to go. Most people around here don't seem to like Select Comfort but I have known people who do. If you do, then maybe that's what you should get.

IF your mattress springs are not shot, you could pretty easily do surgery on it and replace the foam with latex and that will probably solve your problems for less money. But if you can return it for a refund, don't do surgery, just return it. My advice is always to buy a super firm mattress then add some latex topper(s) in 1" layers.

Reply #2 Mar 30, 2010 7:43 PM
Thank you for the response! The bed is pretty new and the foam is fine. I was thinking the box spring could be warped somehow due to the lack of a center support. I think my deciding factor comes down to the fact that the bed is a bit too bouncy for my taste. It's hard to enjoy a night with the girlfriend :) 

Since I do have a select comfort at home of which I'm happy with, I feel comfortable buying a new one. Besides, I feel like this will last longer (select comfort).

This message was modified Mar 30, 2010 by af830
Reply #3 Mar 30, 2010 9:32 PM
Try putting it on the floor, sans frame, and see if it feels better.  Latex is bouncier than memory foam!

Kait

Recent Posts