Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #157 Aug 22, 2011 10:15 AM
I see where Serta has a promotion on their Motion Perfect Adjustable Foundation. Is there any I-Comfort users that have purchased this until either when they initially got there I Comfort or recently with this sale. Would like to hear you opinions and if purchase now, what was the price?
Reply #158 Aug 23, 2011 6:44 PM

So we purchased our Icomfort Genius yesterday and have spent our first night on it. The first thing my wife said when we got it set up was wow this is hard.  I think messed our selfs up when we where trying out every mattress there (some where around 20).  After going back to the dealer today ours does fill just like the show rooms so it was our fault.  We are going to spend a few more nights on it and then maybe move to the Revolution.  I thought I read on Sertas website where there is no break in time, but the sales person and the Serta Rep said there is about a 30 day period needed. Maybe they are taking about getting use to the mattress.

There is no smell like others have stated.  We have always sleep on regular pillow top mattresses so this is our first "foam" mattress.  I normally get hot at night and only sleep with a sheet and no cloths. One reason we went with the icomfort was the sales pitch that it does not sleep hot.  I can tell you it does sleep a little hotter than our old mattress but not to much.

We purchased the adjustable base.  This is one of the best things we have bought in a while!  If you watch any tv or work on the computer in bed it is worth every penny.  I can not say enough good things about the base.

I do have one questions.  When reading this forum there was a lot of talk about these being re-branded so I went and checked my tag.  It does not say Serta any where on it.  It actually says Manufactured by: PALU BEDDING CO. and has a local address.  I called my sales rep and she says Serta uses a local factory and that it is a Serta Factory?? Sound strange to anyone else.  The dealer is not a small place.. It is Mathis Brothers so I guess I will just go with it unless anyone else has something to ad.

Reply #159 Aug 23, 2011 7:17 PM
clrv wrote:

So we purchased our Icomfort Genius yesterday and have spent our first night on it. The first thing my wife said when we got it set up was wow this is hard.  I think messed our selfs up when we where trying out every mattress there (some where around 20).  After going back to the dealer today ours does fill just like the show rooms so it was our fault.  We are going to spend a few more nights on it and then maybe move to the Revolution.  I thought I read on Sertas website where there is no break in time, but the sales person and the Serta Rep said there is about a 30 day period needed. Maybe they are taking about getting use to the mattress.

There is no smell like others have stated.  We have always sleep on regular pillow top mattresses so this is our first "foam" mattress.  I normally get hot at night and only sleep with a sheet and no cloths. One reason we went with the icomfort was the sales pitch that it does not sleep hot.  I can tell you it does sleep a little hotter than our old mattress but not to much.

We purchased the adjustable base.  This is one of the best things we have bought in a while!  If you watch any tv or work on the computer in bed it is worth every penny.  I can not say enough good things about the base.

I do have one questions.  When reading this forum there was a lot of talk about these being re-branded so I went and checked my tag.  It does not say Serta any where on it.  It actually says Manufactured by: PALU BEDDING CO. and has a local address.  I called my sales rep and she says Serta uses a local factory and that it is a Serta Factory?? Sound strange to anyone else.  The dealer is not a small place.. It is Mathis Brothers so I guess I will just go with it unless anyone else has something to ad.

Careful with what you do - if you do an exchange to a Revolution, it's safe to assume that would be a final sale.

The genius is firm because it has 2" of support foam right underneath the 2.75" gel foam. 

The Revolution is wayyy more plush than the Genius, here's why ... because the 2" support is taken out and in its place is 3" of what they call 'Kool comfort memory foam at the surface.  So,

that's 5.75" of memory foam in 2 layers of some density .... and that is a lot of memory foam together.

I'm pretty sure iComfort uses 'Sleep Innovations' (geez I hope SI doesn't get it from someone else! buncha middlemen) made gel memory foam.  I tried a 2.5" topper the other night and it pretty much did nothing the box said it would - little pressure relief, I sunk in and ... I was hooott.

Ooops I'm ruining your day.  Sorry!

This message was modified Aug 23, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #160 Aug 23, 2011 7:18 PM
This morning in preparation for delivery, I started taking my sheets off my old bed, got down to the old mattress, old box, old Sleep Innovations foam topper and frame / headboard...I purchased a new bed today. I'm an idiot...

Anyway, the iComfort Insight mattress and box springs arrived today.

There is very little if any smell from the foam mattress. It smells more new than anything else - meaning - no chemical smell at all. Nada. The mattress arrived in sealed plastic - in a full king square. Comparing that shape to the Bed in a Box at Sam's (Serta by Sleep Innovations) - I'm of the opinion that this is a better way to recieve it since any glue / adhesives in there must be affected by a shrink wrap process. But, that's only my hunch and I have no data to base that on.

The mattress feels exactly like the showroom to me. I don't know what it will be like in a six months or a year or 10 years. But, right now, it is perfect. I needed a firm mattress and my wife and I decided upon the Insight model. I can't wait to sleep on it tonight.

I've gone a little overboard with my purchases the last two weeks - new bed, mattress, box springs, nightstands, pillows, pillow wedges for back and legs, Able Table for reading, high count cotten sheets, comforter... The whole thing started with a grouchy "okay, I'll get the cheapest mattress at Sam's".

Well, here's wishing for a great night's sleep! My back is hurting from the old mattress AND setting everything up today.

This message was modified Aug 23, 2011 by DimEyes
Reply #161 Aug 23, 2011 8:23 PM
slpngoc wrote:

Careful with what you do - if you do an exchange to a Revolution, it's safe to assume that would be a final sale.

The genius is firm because it has 2" of support foam right underneath the 2.75" gel foam. 

The Revolution is wayyy more plush than the Genius, here's why ... because the 2" support is taken out and in its place is 3" of what they call 'Kool comfort memory foam at the surface.  So,

that's 5.75" of memory foam in 2 layers of some density .... and that is a lot of memory foam together.

I'm pretty sure iComfort uses 'Sleep Innovations' (geez I hope SI doesn't get it from someone else! buncha middlemen) made gel memory foam.  I tried a 2.5" topper the other night and it pretty much did nothing the box said it would - little pressure relief, I sunk in and ... I was hooott.

Ooops I'm ruining your day.  Sorry!

Nope not ruining my day. Actually the one good thing about the place I bought it is I have 7 day for a full refund on everything.  With the mattress protector I have 1 year on my mattress but can only change out twice.  So I have a little bit of time to do more investigating.  I thanks for the response!

Reply #162 Aug 24, 2011 8:07 AM
Slept my first night. Wow, this is one firm mattress. My wife and I both woke several times to discover we were not used to the firmness. But, my back is not sore. It is just that we are coming from a hammock.

The mattress was not as hot our previous Sleep Innovations 2.5" memory foam topper that we left behind. So, whatever they have done with the gel / foam in the iComfort line works well for us.

I will probably need about 3-5 nights to get accustomed to the change in firmness. I noticed one member (several posts up) stated that she added a feather topper. I haven't seen those before. I know I will not go back to the old 2.5" memory foam topper that we used to have. But, a thin down layer may be nice.

I'm 5'11" at 170, in good shape, 41 years old and I sleep on my back. Last night, I actually spent a few hours on my side, something I haven't done in years.

I'm sold on the mattress. But, I think there is a break-in period for my wife and I - not the mattress.

This message was modified Aug 24, 2011 by DimEyes
Reply #163 Aug 24, 2011 10:11 AM
DimEyes which icomfort did you go with.
Reply #164 Aug 24, 2011 10:54 AM
clrv wrote:

DimEyes which icomfort did you go with.

cIrv - my wife and I went with the Insight.

We laid on the mattresses in the showroom. We boiled our decision down to the Insight vs. the Prodigy. I was inclined to get the Prodigy for my wife since she is in less of need of firm than I am. But, she responded with, "we can always add a plush top to a mattress, but we can't take something off if it is already in there...". She was alluding to the fact that, while the Insight was more favorable to me, the difference in price to go to the Prodigy was a big jump and we could always add a topper if need be - but, you can't take a "topper" off that is part of the mattress itself. That made allot of sense and cents to me.

So, the promotion we chose was for free king box set with new Insight purchase. I really struggled with the desire to get the Motion Comfort (adjustable base) since I read every single night. But, she usually turns in prior to my finishing up with my reading. So, a single adjustable base didn't make sense for our needs. However, we used the delta in price (free box set vs. Motion) to buy a new bed, nightstands, reading table (Able Table) and some great reading pillows which are extremely comfortable, flexible, and adjustable.

Reply #165 Aug 25, 2011 10:30 AM
Hello,

I bought the Queen IComfort Insight with the adjustable frame and though I have only had the bed for a week, I made the best bed choice I have ever made!  When I was intially searching for a mattress I went to a few different stores to check out the IComfort and found it to be a bit confusing as to which model was more firm vs more plush and I feel that with the Insight I got the perfect blend.  I will say that I am positive that the adjustable bed frame changes my expirence as opposed to the traditional box spring.  The adjustable bed frame features massage settings and the ability to adjust the head and foot sections definitly offer more comfort positions.  The motor for the frame is failry quite, however when laying flat with your head on a pillow, it can be quite lound, but the comfort makes up for it.  I managed to get a pretty spectacular deal for the entire package at about $2400 including taxes and delivery charges.  I was a little concerned that changes positions in the bed might be but cumbersome because of how the bed forms your body, but it has not been an issue at all.  As others have mentioned, getting out of the bed in the morning is really difficult because it is so comfortable!

Reply #166 Aug 27, 2011 7:17 PM
clrv wrote:

We purchased our Genius about 3 weeks ago. Your right it is firm! added a thick cotton mattress bad, but still thinking of moving to the revolution too. We went for the firmer one for my husband's back as he jumps out of airplanes for a living. They did say give it 30 days before asking for an exchange.

Recent Posts