Savvy Rest report
Jan 10, 2008 3:46 PM
After lurking here and other places and doing lots of research - I finally recieved my latex mattress today. I'd like to add to the discussion by sharing my experiences with a company I haven't read about on this forum and about Dunlop latex. We went with a three layer 100% DUNLOP (yes, Dunlop, not Talalay) mattress from Savvy Rest via The Natural Sleep Store. We got a queen size with split firm (ILD 40), medium (ILD 35) and soft (ILD 30) layers. The cover is made of organic cotton quilted to organic wool. The total was $1849 including shipping - more than SleepEZ or some of the other online retailers but less than other organic latex mattresses.We got free UPS shipping through The Natural Sleep Store (which would have been $219 from Savvy Rest directly) plus a gift certificate for $160.00 that could be used toward bedding at their store.

So far, I really like the mattress. It is just the right firmness. I don't think we would want anything softer than this configuration. We went with Dunlop even though there is so much more information about Talalay because we were more concerned about getting something too soft rather than too firm. I'll report on how we like the mattress in a few weeks. We went from years of futons that needed to be replaced every few years so this seems extremely comfy. Our latest futon had gotten really hard so we started researching other options and finally settled on the Savvy Rest.

I can't really write a full review until sleeping on the mattress for a while - but I can review the customer service. There is a huge amount of information on the Savvy Rest web site and on the Natural Sleep Store web site as well as organicmattressreviews.com. I considered SleepEZ, FloBeds, Foam Sweet Foam, Foam Source and a couple of other places and finally settled on Savvy Rest. I would have considered FloBeds if they carried Dunlop latex. My concern with SleepEZ and some of the other places was that while they described their latex in great detail, they were a little sketchy about the covers and what they used for flame retardants. I decided to narrow my search to stores that described their covers and/or had options for different covers. FloBeds had several cover choices and reasonable prices, but I really wanted natural Dunlop rather than Talalay. Both FloBeds and Savvy Rest made it clear that they didn't use chemicals in addition to the wool for fire retardant material.

First, I looked at the web sites, read reviews and got samples from Savvy Rest. They seemed professional and informative. I spoke directly to a woman at Savvy Rest (can't remember her name right now) and she was very knowledgeable and told me some things that made me buy a softer mattress than I had intended to. I'm glad I took her advice. She said most of their exchanges were for softer layers and that she couldn't recommend anything firmer than medium, medium, firm - and that would be quite firm in Dunlop. She also said that the Dunlop is a bit firmer on one side than the other so you could further customize by turning one or more layer over. The side with the larger holes is firmer than the side with the smaller holes. I haven't experimented with it yet so I can't confirm if the difference is noticeable but I thought it was interesting.

The mattress came in three 2x2x3 boxes which the UPS guy hauled into the house for me. They were immaculate and clearly labled on the outside with computer printed stickers and magic marker. The first box as the heaviest at 60 pounds and contained the cotton and wool cover along with the soft layer and the assembly instructions which were in a zip lock bag taped to the top of the box. The other two layers were around 53 pounds each and clearly labled in the other two boxes. Each of the half layers were in separate plastic bags and were NOT vacuum packed. They were just kind of loosely rolled and very easy to remove from the boxes. Every half layer was labled with an F, M or S.I was really impressed with the attention to detail.

I called my husband to come home early to hoist the boxes up into the bedroom and help me put the bed together. It probably took us less than half an hour to put it together. I really think the split layers were easier to handle than the full layers would have been. The top of the case is thick enough that we don't feel the split - even without a mattress pad.

That's enough to bore you for now. I am really happy with this purchase. It is one of the best experiences I've had buying something online. We just didn't find anything comparable locally.

Cheers,
Marie
Re: Savvy Rest report
Reply #55 Oct 27, 2009 1:21 PM
eagle2 wrote:
 It would have been nice however had you made them of a slightly higher resolution, as it is difficult to really ascertain any details with pictures that have been so greatly downsi
This message was modified Oct 27, 2009 by catlover
Reply #56 Oct 27, 2009 2:15 PM

Reply #57 Oct 27, 2009 2:23 PM
Catlover: I only checked the picture of the whole bed, but this is what your EXIF data told me.

You shot the picture with a Nikon D80( excellent camera by the way) your shutter speed was 1/60 sec, your f-stop was 3.5 your ISO was 200. You shot at 27 mm focal length (35mm equivalent) you used flash, and you process the picture in "Picture Project".

But the principle item of importance for this discussion is the fact that you reduce it in size to 320 x 214 pixels resolution. This gave you a very small file size of 22.2KB. I would think a picture reduced to 640x480 no more is much better, or for a really good web picture try 800x600. The other references you make are JPEG quality. Excellent would be the least compression of the file, and the other references would be more compression of the file and thus less quality. But the principal thing you are interested in is the resolution, as I just indicated. Almost any picture editing software will allow you to reduce the original resolution of the picture file to something smaller. 800X600 is pretty much the standard resolution for good quality web pictures. This size gives good detail and a smaller size. JPEG compression will reduce the quality and size of the file but not the size of the picture. Only the resolution will do this.

Do not use Tiff, use only JPEG or JPG for short, this is the best for the web, and most other applications... IMHO!

Catlover we were cross posting. My guess is there is something about the way you install the picture at photo bucket that is causing the problem. I use Flickr, it has a very simple method for posting pictures. If I had to guess, and of course that's what I'm doing, it has something to do with your posting the picture at photo bucket, or the way you have copied their link here in this form.

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble, I know how frustrating it can be. Everything to do with computers can be very frustrating. The older I get the more technology( which has always fascinated me) frustrates me. I have just gone through a very lengthy crash experience with my computer and try and get everything back in place even though I thought I had adequate backups. It's getting to the point that just using all of my five different remote controls for my television and sound system is becoming more than I want to bear. Oh well, onward and upward!
This message was modified Oct 27, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #58 Oct 27, 2009 2:50 PM
just opened a Flicker account.  Will attempt to post reconfigured photos...

nothing is happening....time to go to work. I feel so incompetent. How did I post the first time??? lol
Reply #59 Oct 27, 2009 2:58 PM
Reply #60 Oct 27, 2009 3:01 PM
Reply #61 Oct 27, 2009 4:16 PM
catlover wrote:
http://flickr.com/gp/44106409@N08/28P8qv

but why no image appearing here?  But at least you can magnify and see the detail on each photo now! :)

Good job catlover. That makes a nice size. I believe the reason that pictures do not show up, nor links become hot when posted, has something to do with the security of this website. But I have no problem opening another browser window and pasting in the link.

It would be good to go ahead and post the other photographs at your Flickr site with the same resolution then everyone could have a better picture of what your Savvy Rest bed looks like.

Thanks for taking the trouble and the time. I hope your bed works out wonderful for you. I'm sure it will. Savvy Rest is a good company with a good reputation, and I believe you will find, with a good product.
Reply #62 Oct 27, 2009 6:00 PM
eagle2 wrote:
Good job catlover. That makes a nice size. I believe the reason that pictures do not show up, nor links become hot when posted, has something to do with the security of this website. But I have no problem opening another browser window and pasting in the link.

It would be good to go ahead and post the other photographs at your Flickr site with the same resolution then everyone could have a better picture of what your Savvy Rest bed looks like.

Thanks for taking the trouble and the time. I hope your bed works out wonderful for you. I'm sure it will. Savvy Rest is a good company with a good reputation, and I believe you will find, with a good product.
Hi eagle!

When I went back into this forum to check the flicker link, all of my mattress photos were available for viewing, so I didn't do links for all 6 photos.
Now I wonder whether I saw all of them because Flicker somehow knew it was me, and not someone else looking at them.
Are you sure you only had the ability to see just 1 photo?

Tks for ALL your help! I learned a lot about posting photos....but I still wonder how I embedded the first photos I posted. Seems now I can only provide a link...I'll keep trying though!
5 photos of our Savvy Rest dunlop mattress
Reply #63 Oct 27, 2009 6:28 PM
Ok, now that I figured out how to post high quality photos, I have given link to my Flicker account of 5 photos of our new dunlop Savvy Rest split king. Just copy and paste into your address area - you might want to open a new browser page...

link deleted - look further as I figured out how to insert photos!

Reply #64 Oct 27, 2009 7:07 PM
sorry it doesn't work. You just need to copy the URL at the top of the page and post it here. The links you provided took me to the sign in page for registered users.

Unless of course you have canceled your pictures.

What you may have does is set Flickr up for private viewing. In which case we would need a pass word...I think. I have never used this approach as I just use the public viewing standard procedure. If you will give us the flicker URL for your home page we can see all the pictures you have for public viewing.

If you do not want to publicly allow people to see your bed room then we will need the info to get into your private area.

It would be so nice if this web site would not require all this process. But make it much easier to post pictures and hot links in our posts.
This message was modified Oct 27, 2009 by eagle2

Recent Posts