Recommendations for plush queen size, and what should I expect to pay?
Oct 16, 2010 6:10 PM
I'm still reviewing the information available on this site but as I do I thought I'd cut to the chase and ask for recommendations as I'm hoping to buy a bed this weekend.  I'm looking for a soft spring mattress (we have Temperpedic now and I don't like it), in the $1000 to $2000 range for a mattress, box spring and frame.  I looked at a S&F Eureka Springs plush mattress the other day that I really liked and they were ready to sell the set to me for $1800.  I could tell the difference between that bed and the next step down, a Beautyrest I think.)  But I hadn't found this site yet, tomorrow I'm starting all over and am going to go to a bunch of stores.  I'm going to continue reading through the threads and try to learn more before this expedition, but any comments would also be appreciated.  Thanks! 
Re: Recommendations for plush queen size, and what should I expect to pay?
Reply #1 Oct 16, 2010 6:15 PM
I think the most important advice you could get would be to slow down and delay the buying decision till at least next weekend (and even that may be  pushing it). You almost certainly will need that long to read through and digest the information here and spend some time laying on mattresses BEFORE you spend that kind of money on a mattress. Without that ... you may be a mattress salesman's dream.

Phoenix

Oops deleted the question about size. Didn't notice it was answered in the title

This message was modified Oct 16, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #2 Oct 16, 2010 6:19 PM
Best advice I can give is to not be in a hurry to throw away money until you've read.  There is a ton of info on this website that will probably lead you away from some of those traditional store mattresses.   We ended up with Latex but even for inner spring mattresses, you will have to look for the better ones.  Check out reviews section too. 
Reply #4 Oct 16, 2010 8:01 PM
OK thanks!
Reply #5 Oct 17, 2010 2:13 PM
Well I've looked at some of the threads and while I understand the problems with mattress construction, I am probably still going to shop for a "plush" mattress.  I can't imagine myself spending all the time to assemble all the different kinds of better quality foam, take apart the bed and do all of this stuff.  I had a soft bed 10 years ago that we bought at Macys that I was very happy with for several years until I let my partner talk me into buying a Temperpedic bed.  Also I don't think that toppers are going to do the trick on a firm mattress.  I lke a mattress that I can really sink into.  The S&F mattress I tried really did seem to provide the right combination of softness and support.  So I'm probably going to look for as high a quality plush mattress as I can and just try to get the best price I can. The stores around here are limited to the usual Sleep Train Macys etc.  I don't have weeks to spend shopping for a mattress, I need to get this over with and get on with things. So I'll make out the lists of items to ask about to comparison shop on the "tips" on the main website and shop around and try to get the best deal I can.  Thanks for the information, I see what one could do if one had unlimited time to devote to this project, but I lead a busy life and frankly this is just way too much information and work.  If the foam in the bedding starts to break down in a few years, I'll deal with that problem then.

Recent Posts