received my 1 in. latex topper from rmm but why don't i sleep well on it?
Sep 30, 2010 6:49 AM
it seems like it sleeps a bit warm the talalay and the latex this is a soft ild 24 has a strong push back to it and of course i should not of ordered from

them since there is no return on toppers.

Re: received my 1 in. latex topper from rmm but why don't i sleep well on it?
Reply #2 Sep 30, 2010 10:17 AM
I find 24 too firm for a top layer as welll, unless I have something soft below it.  Generally I use memory foam on top.  14 ILD latex might work as well. 

You may want to contact about a return anyway, to see what they say.  Nothing to lose.  Maybe an exchnage for memory foam?

Reply #3 Sep 30, 2010 11:51 AM
I have a 2-3" (can't remember which) topper. I have no idea what "ILD" it is but I know it's a softer version. It's quite soft and comfortable in that respect which I love BUT it sleeps hot!  I am at my wit's end.  I absolutely abhor memory foam for that reason--very hot and it flattens out..the latex is touted as not sleeping hot..yes it has all those little holes punched in it...but I still get hot and sweaty on it. (And no, it's not hot flashes. It's the pad).  So is your problem more that it sleeps hot, or that it's too hard?

I put a very expensive ($275) wool and cotton topper on the latex which amazingly helped stop the sweating but I still wake up too hot every night.  Also that developed "clumps" which are uncomfortable so I had to turn it over and now I sleep on the cotton backing side of it (but I still get hot).

I need the softness of the latex because my new mattress is too hard.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can try that will be very soft, but supportive, but not HOT? 

I've spent a fortune and still not getting anywhere. Wish I had never gotten rid of my really old Beautyrest mattress. (I posted a long reply to the "comfortaire" thread, for more of my "story").

Reply #4 Sep 30, 2010 12:52 PM
sandman wrote:

I find 24 too firm for a top layer as welll, unless I have something soft below it.  Generally I use memory foam on top.  14 ILD latex might work as well. 

You may want to contact about a return anyway, to see what they say.  Nothing to lose.  Maybe an exchnage for memory foam?

i did try 1 in. memory foam before  i went to latex and that was even more hot i had to take the memory foam off the bed just after 1 hour of sleeping on it,   ,  i did  try  fbm  dunlop they have i guess, and it was not warm. i do have a mattress cover from costco over the latex topper  i don't think that  has anything to do to making it firm i guess. 

Reply #5 Sep 30, 2010 1:40 PM
I tend to get hot as well.  I use a "cooler" memory foam (or latex ) on top  + a 1" wool topper + a wool filled mattress pad.  I also use 200TC egyptian cotton sheets and cotton blankets (unless fairly cool outside).  With this configuration I get warm but not so hot to have it bother me very often.

The wool topper and mattress pad due seem to make it a bit firmer - less sinking in.

Reply #6 Oct 1, 2010 2:12 AM
requin wrote:

I have a 2-3" (can't remember which) topper. I have no idea what "ILD" it is but I know it's a softer version. It's quite soft and comfortable in that respect which I love BUT it sleeps hot!  I am at my wit's end.  I absolutely abhor memory foam for that reason--very hot and it flattens out..the latex is touted as not sleeping hot..yes it has all those little holes punched in it...but I still get hot and sweaty on it. (And no, it's not hot flashes. It's the pad).  So is your problem more that it sleeps hot, or that it's too hard?

I put a very expensive ($275) wool and cotton topper on the latex which amazingly helped stop the sweating but I still wake up too hot every night.  Also that developed "clumps" which are uncomfortable so I had to turn it over and now I sleep on the cotton backing side of it (but I still get hot).

I need the softness of the latex because my new mattress is too hard.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can try that will be very soft, but supportive, but not HOT? 

I've spent a fortune and still not getting anywhere. Wish I had never gotten rid of my really old Beautyrest mattress. (I posted a long reply to the "comfortaire" thread, for more of my "story").

What mattress topper did you buy for $275 that now clumps? 

If you still sink in the mattress you still will get hot regardless what is on top. It may help some but you sink in and heat builds up.

Reply #7 Oct 1, 2010 8:00 AM
sandman wrote:

I tend to get hot as well.  I use a "cooler" memory foam (or latex ) on top  + a 1" wool topper + a wool filled mattress pad.  I also use 200TC egyptian cotton sheets and cotton blankets (unless fairly cool outside).  With this configuration I get warm but not so hot to have it bother me very often.

The wool topper and mattress pad due seem to make it a bit firmer - less sinking in.

how about a eggcrate topper from fbm  to put on top of the latex topper  would that take the warm feeling away?

Reply #8 Oct 1, 2010 8:50 AM
Leo, the woolpad is Snugfleece Original. It is 1-3/4" of pure wool bonded to an all-cotton backing. Very nice, but unfortunately since the wool is bonded in rows, and there's no cover over the wool, it very quickly (w/in 3 months) started to clump into the rows.  They say fluff it, air it out, etc. Well that works but only for 1 night, then it clumps again. I can't be pulling the bed apart and fluffing that thing (running fingers through it vigorously, which takes a long time) every single night.

I now sleep on it turned over..on the cotton side, which is slightly nubby but more comfortable than those pointy ruts and clumps on the wool side. I still get hot although not sweaty.

I don't sink into the mattress so that is not why I am hot. My latex topper is not so soft as to allow me to sink in much and the wool topper prevents even more sinking.  No, I am hot because of the fabric(s) below me..be it the wool topper, the latex, or something in the mattress top itself.  I never had this problem ever on my old Beautyrest mattress.

I may be new to this forum but I am not new to mattress woes.

Reply #9 Oct 1, 2010 4:01 PM
anyone know  how about a eggcrate topper from foambymail  to put on top of the latex topper  would that take the warm feeling away and would it be comfortable?
This message was modified Oct 1, 2010 by tony
Reply #10 Oct 1, 2010 4:03 PM
My sealy trufoam had the eggcrate topper and it made it no cooler.
Reply #11 Oct 1, 2010 8:43 PM
So what do i do now,  i had got the foambymail 2 inch soft,  it did not sleep hot seemed to work for me,  then my dumb self thought mmm  maybe i only need 1 inch  so sent 2 inch back  but the 1 in was not comfortable,  so sent it back  then i got  talalay ooooooo yeah  1inch from rocky mountain  big mistake  sleep's warm and seem's springy  foambymail was not springy  so this  sleep's warm and not comfortable, so what do i do now,  iam so lost now,  ask  rocky moutain if i can exchange it for a 2 inch  dunlop since that did not sleep warm from foambymail, get another 1 inch from sleeplikeabear dunlop or what please help.

Recent Posts