Simmons Beautyrest Dakar as "base"?
Jul 17, 2008 2:56 PM
so (as per my other thread) it looks like my tempurpedic is not going to work for my back. :( so, i'm gonna try the whole firm coil spring + foam topper to taste approach. my wife actually likes sleeping on a carpeted floor with minimal padding, and i don't mind it if i added a few layers of blankets or a foam pad on top, so maybe we can try to emulate that in a bed...

i was trying to find a decent coil spring that had minimal foam. i like the simmons pocketed coils because they do seem to provide better isolation, which is one of my favorite things about the tempurpedic. any opinions on this one?

http://www.us-mattress.com/simmons-beautyrest-dakar-firm.html

the quilt is pretty simple, the coil gauge is thicker than their higher-end 980-count models (13.25 gauge vs. 15.5) but it's still 800 coil, and it just has a couple think payers of 3/8" "PurFoam," whatever that is - looks to be be crappy quality (1.20 density polyurethane) but at least there ins't a ton of it.

cheers,
marc
Re: Simmons Beautyrest Dakar as "base"?
Reply #6 Oct 6, 2008 1:33 PM
I like mine. I have had it about a year, and I started with some toppers for it, which were very comfortable. (I got the CuddleBed from Costco and the 1" latex topper from Brylane Home.) The toppers were too soft for my bad back, so now I just sleep on the mattress. Good luck!
Re: Simmons Beautyrest Dakar as "base"?
Reply #7 Oct 17, 2008 12:20 PM
I have read that their springs are not tempered! The weakest part is the pillow tops. Try a latex kit bed some where!

Recent Posts