Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #224 Nov 27, 2011 12:58 PM
I think you will be tickled pink with your purchase...  remember your bed will be much firmer than in the store, my advice is to walk on the mattress every change you get, sounds dumb, but it works... I kept telling myself, in time it will get softer and be perfect as opposed to changing for the softer one and in time it is too soft...  I laid down on the tempurpedic and I thought someone had a heating pad on it, it was that hot for me within 2 minutes time. Again, we bought the adjustable bed and my ONLY regret is we didnt buy it YEARS ago....
Reply #225 Nov 27, 2011 11:10 PM
Sunny wrote:

I think you will be tickled pink with your purchase...  remember your bed will be much firmer than in the store, my advice is to walk on the mattress every change you get, sounds dumb, but it works... I kept telling myself, in time it will get softer and be perfect as opposed to changing for the softer one and in time it is too soft...  I laid down on the tempurpedic and I thought someone had a heating pad on it, it was that hot for me within 2 minutes time. Again, we bought the adjustable bed and my ONLY regret is we didnt buy it YEARS ago....

As a  2 1/2 month Tempurpedic Cloud owner, I'll reconfirm that sleeping hot, at least on this mattress is a complete and utter non-issue.  At least Tempurpedic makes an attempt at air flow with their single or dual air flow channels.  Do you really think body heat magically dissipates more through the gel foam of icomfort?  btw, only the Insight and Genius have the gel foam at surface, the other two are 'Koolcomfort'.

Also, consider your lightweight icomfort box spring foundations versus the brick house all wood Tempurpedic fixed foundations which btw, weigh quite a bit.

Reply #226 Nov 30, 2011 6:10 AM
SleepyMan wrote:

My husband and I have been looking at the Tempur-pedic beds and went in to possibly buy one yesterday. The salesman showed us the iComfort Revolution and now we’re torn! We love the idea of the Cool Gel technology, as my husband is a warm sleeper. The bed in the store felt amazing and we loved the adjustable base to adjust to relieve frequent acid reflux symptoms and snoring (all my husband). The reviews on this site make it sound as amazing and we felt it was after leaving the store. However, after reading some other reviews on other sites, lots of people are saying they’ve had their WORST night’s sleep on the iComfot and aren’t even willing to give it time for the “break-in period”. This makes me nervous. I don’t want to spend so much money on a mattress, only to be miserable. I don’t see any reviews on Consumer Reports since it seems this mattress is still very new, and I’m looking for some unbiased reviews (not the ones that Serta chooses simply because a person says they love their product).  We are considering the iComfort Revolution, but we are nervous because of the wide spectrum of reviews we are reading -  both positive and negative.  We are looking to buy a new mattress in the next week or two…help!

Thanks guys, this thread is useful. Planning to buy one of Serta icomforts soon...!!! Will write a review asap...

Reply #227 Nov 30, 2011 3:10 PM
I just spent my first night on my new serta icomfort insight queen with adjustable base.

First, let me say that one of my worries from reading the reviews on this forum was the smell from the bed.  I get bad headaches and planned on letting it air out for a couple of nights in case it smelled.  It did not smell and I was able to sleep on it the very first night.

Second,  as others have stated when I first got the bed it was hard as a rock.  When the delivery guy showed off the adjustable part the matress did not bend, was actually kind of funny..:)  The delivery guy told me that it was in the truck for an entire night before they delivered it and it was near freezing that night.  He said to give it a few hours and lay on it for a while.  I did that and it did in fact softened up to about what I expected from the store.

I have only spent one night on the bed and can tell you that it was good....not great, but good.  I am now wondering if I should of bought the revolution.  I get 120 days to try this bed so if I don't think I got my moneys worth I will send it back.  The store had a trade in policy but I told them I would not buy it unless they offered a full refund after the trail period.  I also insisted that they include the adjustable bed in the return if I did not like it.  I agreed to pay an $80 return delivery fee and nothing else.  They agreed.  Many people don't realize but most stores only mean that you can return the matress not the adjustable bed.  I suggest anyone insist on the same as you can always threaten to buy from another store.

I am posting this so that others who want an unbiased opinion don't have to wonder about things like the smell.  I can't say there is no new bed smell...there is a little, but not much at all.  When I was in the store the Tempurpedic smelled so bad it was the reason that I went with iComfort.  Once I decided on iComfort the sales guy told me the new Tempurpedic's smelled up the store the first few days they were there.

Also the bed did sleep cool, but it is November so that is not saying much for now...:)

Let me know if anyone has any other questions regarding my experience with the serta insight.

This message was modified Nov 30, 2011 by trautpa
Reply #228 Dec 1, 2011 3:21 PM
trautpa wrote:

I just spent my first night on my new serta icomfort insight queen with adjustable base.

First, let me say that one of my worries from reading the reviews on this forum was the smell from the bed.  I get bad headaches and planned on letting it air out for a couple of nights in case it smelled.  It did not smell and I was able to sleep on it the very first night.

Second,  as others have stated when I first got the bed it was hard as a rock.  When the delivery guy showed off the adjustable part the matress did not bend, was actually kind of funny..:)  The delivery guy told me that it was in the truck for an entire night before they delivered it and it was near freezing that night.  He said to give it a few hours and lay on it for a while.  I did that and it did in fact softened up to about what I expected from the store.

I have only spent one night on the bed and can tell you that it was good....not great, but good.  I am now wondering if I should of bought the revolution.  I get 120 days to try this bed so if I don't think I got my moneys worth I will send it back.  The store had a trade in policy but I told them I would not buy it unless they offered a full refund after the trail period.  I also insisted that they include the adjustable bed in the return if I did not like it.  I agreed to pay an $80 return delivery fee and nothing else.  They agreed.  Many people don't realize but most stores only mean that you can return the matress not the adjustable bed.  I suggest anyone insist on the same as you can always threaten to buy from another store.

I am posting this so that others who want an unbiased opinion don't have to wonder about things like the smell.  I can't say there is no new bed smell...there is a little, but not much at all.  When I was in the store the Tempurpedic smelled so bad it was the reason that I went with iComfort.  Once I decided on iComfort the sales guy told me the new Tempurpedic's smelled up the store the first few days they were there.

Also the bed did sleep cool, but it is November so that is not saying much for now...:)

Let me know if anyone has any other questions regarding my experience with the serta insight.

Careful with a Revolution if you're thinking Insight is too firm.  Give it at least 3 or 4 weeks.  I had Revolution for 4 weeks.  Insight has 2.75" gel mem foam.  Revolution has 3" Koolcomfort, 2.75" gel mem foam both over the 6" core.  Nevermind the board says 2" Koolcomfort, get out you tape measure.  Bottom line, Revolution is MUCH more plush and has quite a bit of sink which *may* lead to neck or back misalignment.  It did for me.  So, be careful. Good you're on the adjustable base, 'cause the Stabl base foundation are cheesy, they bend in middle.

This message was modified Dec 1, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #229 Dec 1, 2011 5:01 PM
slpngoc wrote:

Careful with a Revolution if you're thinking Insight is too firm.  Give it at least 3 or 4 weeks.  I had Revolution for 4 weeks.  Insight has 2.75" gel mem foam.  Revolution has 3" Koolcomfort, 2.75" gel mem foam both over the 6" core.  Nevermind the board says 2" Koolcomfort, get out you tape measure.  Bottom line, Revolution is MUCH more plush and has quite a bit of sink which *may* lead to neck or back misalignment.  It did for me.  So, be careful. Good you're on the adjustable base, 'cause the Stabl base foundation are cheesy, they bend in middle.

Thanks for the feedback slpngoc.  I'm glad to hear that the bed will soften up a bit more over the weeks.  It has been now two days and I can say that it was even better the second night.

You mention that you had the Revolution and it sinks too much.  From what I can tell in the store you are right that is why I went with the Insight.  I have a bad lower back and was worried it would soften even more then what it was at the store and nto provide any support.

Have you tried the Insight?  Did you return the Revolution?

Reply #230 Dec 3, 2011 8:35 AM
We purchased the Serta iComfort a few weeks ago - and I'm trying to research a softer mattress.  I wake up sore and in more pain than I did on the mattress we got rid of.  This mattress has not softened up at all and I don't know what to do.  Also - it smelled so bad for 2 weeks after we got it.  I was horribly upset that no one in the store bothered to tell us to strip the bed EVERY DAY for at least two weeks to get the smell to go away.  It still smells, but I wrap a blanket around my neck down to the pillow to stop the smell from getting ot me at night.  To  be honest, I forgot what model we went with.  I needed to be budget conscious so we got one that was $1999.  I toss and turn all night. 

To be specific, rather than sinking nicely into the bed, it feels to me like there is always resistance.  Even my ribs hurt in the morning.  It almost feels like laying down on an already stretched rubber band.  There is some give to it, and it feels fine when you sit your butt into it.  But laying on it I don't sink in at all.  

Last night we went to check out a sleep number bed, which was ok.  But still just a glorified air mattress.  It was nice to turn it all the way down and watch the pressure points of my shoulders and hips disappear though.  But it's still missing that super plush enveloping feeling.

i'm at a loss I have no clue what we're going to do.  But I desperately want to sleep through the night, or at least more than an hour before having to move from pain.

Reply #231 Dec 3, 2011 9:04 AM
I purchased a Serta icomfort Revolution about 2 1/2 months ago.  When I first got it, I was in love with it.  However, it now has developed a sagging or compression on the side I sleep on.  It is like it has lost some of it's density.  I weigh about 325 pounds, and, discussed this with the retailer before I bought the mattress.  Previously, I owned a basic Tempurpedic for well over twenty years and never had a problem with it.  So, it looks like I am going to take advantage of the 120 day return policy and return it for a Tempurpedic.
Reply #232 Dec 5, 2011 10:59 AM
As someone who has been in the industry for a number of years, let me clear up a few points:

First, if you are genuinely interested in the benefits of a memory foam mattress, you have to understand that, in spite of whatever anyone else may tell you, Tempurpedic really is THE best quality bed in the category.  Buying any other brand means compromising in some way.  They have the science, the research, and the years of experience that no other manufacturer can pretend to.  Other brands can (and should!) be less expensive, but bear in mind the old adage, 'you get what you pay for'.  With all the competition between mattress manufacturers, retailers, and even mattress types, if there is a product category in which this saying is true, it's bedding.  For every dollar you save, rest assured, there's something you give up (quality, support, durability, comfort).

Second, the idea of certain brands 'sleeping hot' is a myth.  If anyone or anything 'sleeps hot', it's the sleeper themselves.  And if that's the case, there are things you can do: turn down the thermostat, lose the blankets, lighten the sleepwear (or, in some cases, just wait for your own 'personal summer' to end!).  There is also a product called the 'ChiliPad' that you may want to consider.  True, you can find a lot of comments on the internet about one of these beds sleeping hot, but bear in mind, it's the internet: anybody can say anything they want, without any need to back it up - not very objective or scientific!  Most of these are just knee-jerk reactions.  The truth is that, initially, every properly conforming, pressure-relieving mattress will sleep warm - until you get adjusted to it.  The reason has to do with pressure points and blood flow.  If someone has been on a bed that was too firm, or did not provide enough pressure relief, they had to deal with pressure points which, among other things, reduced their bloodflow (most noticeably to extremities like arms and legs).  To compensate for this, their body worked harder to increase the bloodflow to these areas (increased heart rate, blood pressure).  If they then move to a sleep set that does the right job of reducing these pressure points, bloodflow surges, and they feel warm.  (If you squeeze your arm and restrict the bloodflow, you hand get cold; let it go, and it gets warm again.  If you did this enough to get accustomed to the sensation of being cold, feeling warm would be uncomfortable.)  After enough time on their new bed, their body learns that it doesn't need to work as hard as it was used to, and they readjust.  Typically, they had years to gradually adjust to WHATEVER their old set was doing; it shouldn't be any surprise that it could sometimes take weeks or even months for their bodies to essentially learn a new way of sleeping.  A lot of people will be quick to post their initial reaction, but how many will come back later to update or post a retraction?

This message was modified Dec 5, 2011 by burdiebo
Reply #233 Dec 5, 2011 2:40 PM
@ "BurdieBo" - EXCELENT post... let me add that (and I am not saying Tempur is THE best) Tempurpedic is the only visoc manufacturer still using their original memroy foam (and pretty close to the original design) mattress longer than the warranty it holds... see if you can find any of the reports on the original hospitals where Tempurpedic was first rolled out (what, almost 25 years ago or so) and yuo will find that most of them are still being used all these years later...

In regards to being hot, I am about 260, 42 years and sleep on a Cloud Luxe for about 6 months... with the exception of a couple of the 90+ degree nights we had where I live (with my windows open) I have not experienced ANY of the heat issue in my bed.

Having said that, your back is still the best determiner of comfort and support... not your salesperson or even those of us posting on here... we speak best to our own comfort and experiences... you may be slightly (or extremely) different than most of us... laugh

Sleep well Bronson!

Recent Posts