Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #150 Aug 16, 2011 10:55 PM
Welp, just posted my iComfort Revolution on Craigslist for resale.  Tried mattress on floor since box spring showing signs of sagging.  Nope, still too plush.  Trying for 46% of what I paid for it, at $200 discount, before tax.  We'll see.  Market for mattress above $600 is pretty lean.  Many are selling fancy wood frames, I'm not.
Reply #151 Aug 17, 2011 2:26 PM
iComfort mattress is so cheesy, get this

the freakin' law tag is not even sewn into the cover of the mattress ... it is stuck like a Post-It onto a tag that is sewn into the cover of the mattress. In other words, one could easily peel off a tag and stick on another (like at the mfr., retailer, wherever)

I have a photo of it if anyone is that curious.  

Isn't actual law tag supposed to be sewn into the mattress cover (or pillow, etc...)?

This message was modified Aug 17, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #152 Aug 19, 2011 12:48 AM
Serta iComfort matching foundation (non-adjustable) ...... don't even bother getting, unless it is free, then don't use it.

I had the foundation standing on end.  I could see the underside rods at the surface, clearly - they are tweaked and sagging right in the middle of the bed.  I weigh only 195 lbs and I used the foundation for 5 weeks total. 

The Stearns and Foster foundation with my entry level mattress was really sturdy at the surface.  They go for $260 + tax.

These iComfort twin boxes are $150 .  Don't waste your time on them, IMO. 

--------------------------------------------

I'm a little off in the post above.  All the 'S' brand 'box springs' use the same basic 'semi-flex' constuction.  and I believe they all get the components from Legget and Platt.  A Stearns and Foster 'box spring' should be just the same as the iComfort Stabl base.  The S&F might have a thicker gage rods.  That I'm not sure about.

There are fancy foundations like 'Microtek' and 'Ultrasteel' but those are sold with reallly high end beds like Silver Dream S&F.

--------------------

So, the iComfort 'box spring' is a little bent in places, but it's remaining the same at this point.

This message was modified Aug 23, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #153 Aug 19, 2011 10:11 AM
I have a Stearns & Foster foundation as well. "Sturdy" is a good description of it!
Reply #154 Aug 21, 2011 9:13 AM
I'll bet the Sleep Innovations / Novaform gel memory foam topper material is the same stuff they put in the iComfort mattresses.  I just used a gel memory foam topper, Sleep Inno, 2.5" last night.  Wanna hear?  ok....

fail, says don't sink in too much - wrong.  That was the first thing  I noticed laying on it ..... sink

says superior pressure relief - fail.  Sinking right down through it, I could feel the pushback I'm trying to eliminate in the latex mattress.

Breathable comfort, never too warm ... wrong, fail.  I was ... hot last night.  Not sweating, but hot.  You wouldn't want to be that hot either.  so, fail there too.

-------------------------------

This all looks like knock off, I guess Tempurpedic wannabee stuff.  Thing that gets me is there is no airflow system in iComfort or this topper,.  Where does the warm air go?  All the way down though the layers of foam?  sideways?  There's not even convoluted foam to dissipate the heat sideways.  At least Tempurpedic has that.

This message was modified Aug 21, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #155 Aug 21, 2011 9:53 PM
My first post. Thanks for those of you in this forum for taking the time to discuss your interests - as I couldn't find much of anything on the internet about the Serta iComfort series until I searched via Google "groups" and landed here...

Anyway, I have a king iComfort Insight with new box springs arriving Tuesday (8/21). I can hardly wait - as my18 year old spring mattress with a memory foam topper has gotten so bad that my back and my sleep are greatly affected. I'm embarrassed to admit the age of it on this of all sites.

At any rate, I intend on providing my feedback and experience. But, this is a major change in a sleep system for me. I'm both nervous and excited because of my lack of sleep. I live in TN and apparently there is absolutely no comfort guarantee for any mattress manufacturer. Which, I guess, has some advantages? For example, my mattress is actually being made in Alabama tomorrow - one day prior to its arrival, meaning no one else has used it and returned it, a practice I loathe to even consider is possible... I got mine on sale with the free box springs for $1,277.

After reading this site I went to Sam's. We don't have a CostCo membership - but, they did have a Serta memory foam gel mattress under the Serta brand - made by Sleep Innovations. They only had a small square out there to look at. It is a bed in a box. They vacuum seal that thing into a pretty small cube - amazing! But, with the small square on display - it definitely had much more give than the Serta mattress in the store where we purchased ours. I mean - a major difference in the density. I realize there must be some who would disagree with this - but, there was absolutely a major "spongy" feel to the 2x2 square in Sam's vs. the one from where we purchased. I don't know if it matters or not - but, wouldn't shrink wrapping that thing into a small cube have some potential issue with the glues? I don't know, but it's likely.

I also noticed the mattress cover on the iComfort was superior to the Sam's version. Not a big deal - but, it is different. It is my personal opinion that the Sam's (CostCo?) Serta / Sleep Innovations versions are not identical to the iComfort line. I think they have two supply chains to be competitive. It is my opinion that the Sam's / CostCo version may be of a lesser density and lesser quality than their higher end lines - but, they aren't garbage or anything. I think if I wasn't so daggone sore and tired of my current mattress I would have bought one of those instead. You could get two of those over 10 years for the same price I paid... so, we'll see. But, I'm happy with the purchase in my mind so far. But, I haven't yet tried it in my own home yet. After my wife and I visited Sam's and looked at it - we both agreed we would stay with the iComfort. We then went back to the place where we purchased it - and confirmed our decision. Oh please get here Tuesday...

I also bought some pillow wedges for underneath my legs and for my back from Relax your Back. I read every night before going to sleep. Now that I have been using those in bed - I can already tell a huge difference. I must have been going into my sleep already crunched up or something because my back has been killing me lately. So, the combined issue of preparing for sleep by reading improperly supported along with my terrible mattress - well, it's been kinda bad lately.

I am confident my purchase will be a welcomed improvement over my existing bed for sure - and I am thankful for the blessing to change. We looked at Sleep Number, Pillow-Top, Water, and foam - and chose the Serta iComfort after about a week of testing different items. If my prayers are answered with this - I will be such an improved individual :-)

Reply #156 Aug 22, 2011 1:02 AM
DimEyes wrote:

Anyway, I have a king iComfort Insight with new box springs arriving Tuesday (8/21). I can hardly wait - as my18 year old spring mattress with a memory foam topper has gotten so bad that my back and my sleep are greatly affected. I'm embarrassed to admit the age of it on this of all sites.

I am confident my purchase will be a welcomed improvement over my existing bed for sure - and I am thankful for the blessing to change. We looked at Sleep Number, Pillow-Top, Water, and foam - and chose the Serta iComfort after about a week of testing different items. If my prayers are answered with this - I will be such an improved individual :-)

I also recently purchased a new mattress which started sagging after 5 weeks,  which is how I found this site. I had no idea there were so many choices. I say my old mattress was 15 years old, but it was really closer to 18 years old as well. I just didn't like saying that! The bed world has changed a lot since people like you and me were last shopping for mattresses, hasn't it? And not for the better, sadly. No longer do you get better quality the more you spend, in the case of spring mattresses at least.

You'll get wonderful advice, tips and pointers from the very knowledgeable people on this site and hopefully a good night's sleep on your new bed!

This message was modified Aug 22, 2011 by DoreenA
Reply #157 Aug 22, 2011 10:15 AM
I see where Serta has a promotion on their Motion Perfect Adjustable Foundation. Is there any I-Comfort users that have purchased this until either when they initially got there I Comfort or recently with this sale. Would like to hear you opinions and if purchase now, what was the price?
Reply #158 Aug 23, 2011 6:44 PM

So we purchased our Icomfort Genius yesterday and have spent our first night on it. The first thing my wife said when we got it set up was wow this is hard.  I think messed our selfs up when we where trying out every mattress there (some where around 20).  After going back to the dealer today ours does fill just like the show rooms so it was our fault.  We are going to spend a few more nights on it and then maybe move to the Revolution.  I thought I read on Sertas website where there is no break in time, but the sales person and the Serta Rep said there is about a 30 day period needed. Maybe they are taking about getting use to the mattress.

There is no smell like others have stated.  We have always sleep on regular pillow top mattresses so this is our first "foam" mattress.  I normally get hot at night and only sleep with a sheet and no cloths. One reason we went with the icomfort was the sales pitch that it does not sleep hot.  I can tell you it does sleep a little hotter than our old mattress but not to much.

We purchased the adjustable base.  This is one of the best things we have bought in a while!  If you watch any tv or work on the computer in bed it is worth every penny.  I can not say enough good things about the base.

I do have one questions.  When reading this forum there was a lot of talk about these being re-branded so I went and checked my tag.  It does not say Serta any where on it.  It actually says Manufactured by: PALU BEDDING CO. and has a local address.  I called my sales rep and she says Serta uses a local factory and that it is a Serta Factory?? Sound strange to anyone else.  The dealer is not a small place.. It is Mathis Brothers so I guess I will just go with it unless anyone else has something to ad.

Reply #159 Aug 23, 2011 7:17 PM
clrv wrote:

So we purchased our Icomfort Genius yesterday and have spent our first night on it. The first thing my wife said when we got it set up was wow this is hard.  I think messed our selfs up when we where trying out every mattress there (some where around 20).  After going back to the dealer today ours does fill just like the show rooms so it was our fault.  We are going to spend a few more nights on it and then maybe move to the Revolution.  I thought I read on Sertas website where there is no break in time, but the sales person and the Serta Rep said there is about a 30 day period needed. Maybe they are taking about getting use to the mattress.

There is no smell like others have stated.  We have always sleep on regular pillow top mattresses so this is our first "foam" mattress.  I normally get hot at night and only sleep with a sheet and no cloths. One reason we went with the icomfort was the sales pitch that it does not sleep hot.  I can tell you it does sleep a little hotter than our old mattress but not to much.

We purchased the adjustable base.  This is one of the best things we have bought in a while!  If you watch any tv or work on the computer in bed it is worth every penny.  I can not say enough good things about the base.

I do have one questions.  When reading this forum there was a lot of talk about these being re-branded so I went and checked my tag.  It does not say Serta any where on it.  It actually says Manufactured by: PALU BEDDING CO. and has a local address.  I called my sales rep and she says Serta uses a local factory and that it is a Serta Factory?? Sound strange to anyone else.  The dealer is not a small place.. It is Mathis Brothers so I guess I will just go with it unless anyone else has something to ad.

Careful with what you do - if you do an exchange to a Revolution, it's safe to assume that would be a final sale.

The genius is firm because it has 2" of support foam right underneath the 2.75" gel foam. 

The Revolution is wayyy more plush than the Genius, here's why ... because the 2" support is taken out and in its place is 3" of what they call 'Kool comfort memory foam at the surface.  So,

that's 5.75" of memory foam in 2 layers of some density .... and that is a lot of memory foam together.

I'm pretty sure iComfort uses 'Sleep Innovations' (geez I hope SI doesn't get it from someone else! buncha middlemen) made gel memory foam.  I tried a 2.5" topper the other night and it pretty much did nothing the box said it would - little pressure relief, I sunk in and ... I was hooott.

Ooops I'm ruining your day.  Sorry!

This message was modified Aug 23, 2011 by slpngoc

Recent Posts