Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #142 Aug 10, 2011 3:37 PM
I just discovered a bent vertical rod in the Serta iComfort 'StabL Base' foundation, which is 4 weeks old to the day.  These foundations have a sheries of V shaped rods that run from the bottom slats up to a network of thin metal rods.  One side of one V shape is bent.

I have no idea if it was bent upon shipment or bent in the last 4 weeks.  btw, the bent rod is right about in the hips, butt area.

If you have one of these foundations, shine a flashlight under it, up throught the fabric .... I don't think you'll be too impressed.

This message was modified Aug 10, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #143 Aug 10, 2011 10:08 PM
Long time no post.  Our story is that we returned our rock hard Insight for a Genius after the mandatory trial period.  Without question between the Insight and the Genius, we found the Genius more comfortable.  We do not find it too hot and we find the support & comfort just right.  We are now satisfied iComfort customers and have turned the corner and would recommend this bed to prospective foam bed buyers.  I felt a bit obliged to re-post as I did some slamming of the Insight earlier on this post.  I like many wished we didn't have to fork out the steep price of admission for foam beds.  I would recommend this bed, but prepare yourselves for a week of adjustment.  Get through that, and you should be pleased.  Maybe there is a jogging/running anology here with these foam beds - the first time one runs you are so damn sore you wonder who would ever run for exercise.  But stick with it, and life improves, to the point you happier and healthier for sticking with it.  We are both happy, FYI I am 40 and 175 lbs and my wife is 135 lbs.

I do actually wonder though if our first bed (Insight) had the wrong or defective foam, as after a month of sleeping on the Insight and going back to the store, our Insight was without question harder than the showroom floor Insight.  

PS.  We bought Temperpedic foam pillows off Ebay (rhapsedy, I think?) and really love them.  Again, pricy as heck, but really nice for side-sleepers.  I find they have settled out about an inch (since new) to be just perfect for me.  I don't like a fat or skinny pillow, it needs to be just right.  That would be this pillow!

Reply #144 Aug 11, 2011 12:27 PM
My husband and I just got a Serta icomfort Genius,after sleeping on a old spring mattress for years.We have slept on it for two nights and it just seems to stiff and I wake up with a kink in my back.Is it that I am adjusting to the new bed and that it needs to be broken in. Has anyone else had the same experience? If so does it get better?
This message was modified Aug 11, 2011 by junebug82
Reply #145 Aug 11, 2011 1:47 PM
junebug82 wrote:

My husband and I just got a Serta icomfort Genius,after sleeping on a old spring mattress for years.We have slept on it for two nights and it just seems to stiff and I wake up with a kink in my back.Is it that I am adjusting to the new bed and that it needs to be broken in. Has anyone else had the same experience? If so does it get better?

I don't have the Genius, but I've sampled it a number of times in the store.  Genius is just 2.75" of the gel memory foam.  Right underneath that is a 2" layer of 'support foam'.  My guess is that foam is there to firm up the mattress quite a bit.  I've always found the Genius more firm than Insight.

Under the 2" layer is the 6" core foam.

Will the Genius soften up?  I don't know, but the post above yours might give some insight.

Reply #146 Aug 14, 2011 12:13 PM
Just wanted to mention my Revolution's firmness and feel remained pretty consistent over the 4 weeks I slept on it.  It felt just like the ones in the store. 

My main recommendation would be make sure you're not sinking too much into one of these in the store.  If your hips sink in quite a bit, I'd say pass, unless you know you do well on something like that.

One other thing.  I discovered the matching 'box spring' foundation to the iComfort is not very good.  Look underneath one and you will see.  After 4 weeks, there was a bent rod in mine, and I'm only 195 lbs.  All the foundation is, is wood slats on the bottom and these V shaped rods that go to the surface and connect with a grid of straight rods.   

I've seen the insides of the Stearns and Foster foundation I had, and that was much better quality than this Serta.  But, it costs $110 more in twin XL size.

Still, I think Serta needs to close the gap between the Revolution and Genius.  My measurement showed 5.75" of memory foam in the Revolution.  I suspect it's not all that dense either.  Don't know the lbs.  Genius has 2.75" mem foam on 2" of some 'support foam'.  It's too much firmer than Revolution IMO.  And Revolution is too much softer, so they need to soften up Genius a little and vice versa for the Revolution IMO.

This message was modified Aug 14, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #147 Aug 15, 2011 9:25 AM
We have had the I-Comfort revolution for little over a month now and love it. At first it there was period of getting used to it after having a regular mattress for over 30 years. Now we are contemplating adding the Serta Motion Perfect Adjustable Foundation.

What experiences do other have with this adjustable foundation?  We are not very tall and have the regular low foundation, so it the addtional height a problem for others? . Also, does anyone have "thrusting" experience, if you know what I mean, with the adjustable foundation? With the revolution as it is, it is quite good. Others thoughts?

Reply #148 Aug 15, 2011 1:23 PM
About the iComfort 'box spring ' type Stabl base foundation.  Mine is weak.  The center spine is bowed down onto the center rail of the metal bed frame.  Looking up into the foundation with flashlight, I can see the surface rods are bowed down somewhat in the hips and torso area.  Also a bent 'V' rod. This foundation isn't even 5 weeks old!  The current mattress on it is 80 lbs and I'm 195 lbs.  What would happen if someone 250 lbs was on the set?

I've seen the Tempurpedic foundations - all wood perimeter and solid platform.  They seem much better than above.

Bottom line - I'm not impressed at all with iComfort box spring.  it will be sold soon.

This message was modified Aug 15, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #149 Aug 15, 2011 3:58 PM
So I'm just going to post the obvious ,but let me start out by saying I sell mattresses, no I do not sell the I Comfort, I have layed on several I Comforts, and I shop all my competition and research endlessly  so I don't have to make stuff up about other manufactuers ( I won't get put in a situation where I look like a liar honesty serves all of us the best in the end)

So here is my opinion and you can argue the facts all day long ,but I am thorough. The main problem I have seen with this product is the way its memory foam is made. First they start with taking sheets of gel and chop it down into small pieces. They than put these chunks of gel and mix it into there memory foam(liquid state). Here is the problem. Lets say I was making blueberry  pancakes. I start out with some bisquick and follow the directions to make 10-12 pancakes. I then take 80 blueberries and pour it into this batter. I cook up 10 pancakes and serve them. None of my pancakes have the same number of blueberries damn. same thing with this gel and it is noticeable after laying on about four different floor models of each make. End all it's very inconsistent and I can tell that in areas of each of the models I have checked out where there are hardspots where more gel is concentrated into a certain area and soft spots where none or not much gel was.

Secondly it has been said but i will say it again. The only way Gel would have a cooling affect is in a full gel layer on top so it could disperse the heat but at that time you would be making it difficult for the memory foam below to breathe. So it kind of defeats the purpose as the memory foam would still be taking in the heat dispersed off the gel although it would be alot less heat than if you were directly on the MF. So the ony true way that the can keep from have a MF that sleeps hot is to have a breathable(open cell structure) MF or better air venting under the foam.

Good idea but it's not practicle or consistent. They will get it right one day and I know that most of them are going out just fine but the ones that are returning are the ones that have recieved far less or far more gel chunks than the one they loved in the store.

Reply #150 Aug 16, 2011 10:55 PM
Welp, just posted my iComfort Revolution on Craigslist for resale.  Tried mattress on floor since box spring showing signs of sagging.  Nope, still too plush.  Trying for 46% of what I paid for it, at $200 discount, before tax.  We'll see.  Market for mattress above $600 is pretty lean.  Many are selling fancy wood frames, I'm not.
Reply #151 Aug 17, 2011 2:26 PM
iComfort mattress is so cheesy, get this

the freakin' law tag is not even sewn into the cover of the mattress ... it is stuck like a Post-It onto a tag that is sewn into the cover of the mattress. In other words, one could easily peel off a tag and stick on another (like at the mfr., retailer, wherever)

I have a photo of it if anyone is that curious.  

Isn't actual law tag supposed to be sewn into the mattress cover (or pillow, etc...)?

This message was modified Aug 17, 2011 by slpngoc

Recent Posts