Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #136 Jul 30, 2011 4:34 PM
My husband and I just purchased the Serta iComfort. We decided on the Revolution plush mattress. We had initially gone into the store wanting a Tempurpedic, but seeing the price tag we thought there had to be something else similar but with a smaller price tag. The salesperson showed us the iComfort and as soon as I laid down, I knew it was the one we'd end up purchasing. We've had it for about a month now and we have LOVED it since the day it was delivered. Oh my goodness, my husband and I joke and say that it's the "worst" thing we've ever done because it's almost impossible to get out of bed in the morning because it is so comfy! I had read some reviews online before purchasing and was kind of nervous that it would have a smell or be too firm upon delivery but had no problems with either issue. It did have a slight smell when it was first delivered--Very faint, and not "bad." It just had a "new" smell to it. Kind of comparable to a newly painted house smell. It went away within 2-3 days. I'm currently staying at my mom's for the weekend and I cannot wait to get back to our bed!! Now everything in comparison is just horrible. We definitely recommend this mattress. We got the price down to $1500 at Mattress Warehouse. A large chunk of money for a mattress but it is so worth it and it came with a 25 year warranty. The mattress itself is beautiful! I love the quilted patterned top. So is the box spring. There is no need for a bed skirt to hide it because it is so well made. I used to toss and turn a lot in my sleep, now i just melt into this bed and wake up in the same position. I actually used to have problems with sleep walking, too. But since sleeping on this mattress it has stopped. My husband is a former Marine (he just got out last month) and has had issues sleeping. Not getting to sleep, but staying to sleep. Even on Ambien he would wake up between 4-6 times a night. It was so frustrating for both of us. Now we go to bed early and sleep in every day! This thing is too good!
Reply #137 Jul 30, 2011 4:42 PM
MrsRomano wrote:

My husband and I just purchased the Serta iComfort. We decided on the Revolution plush mattress. We had initially gone into the store wanting a Tempurpedic, but seeing the price tag we thought there had to be something else similar but with a smaller price tag. The salesperson showed us the iComfort and as soon as I laid down, I knew it was the one we'd end up purchasing. We've had it for about a month now and we have LOVED it since the day it was delivered. Oh my goodness, my husband and I joke and say that it's the "worst" thing we've ever done because it's almost impossible to get out of bed in the morning because it is so comfy! I had read some reviews online before purchasing and was kind of nervous that it would have a smell or be too firm upon delivery but had no problems with either issue. It did have a slight smell when it was first delivered--Very faint, and not "bad." It just had a "new" smell to it. Kind of comparable to a newly painted house smell. It went away within 2-3 days. I'm currently staying at my mom's for the weekend and I cannot wait to get back to our bed!! Now everything in comparison is just horrible. We definitely recommend this mattress. We got the price down to $1500 at Mattress Warehouse. A large chunk of money for a mattress but it is so worth it and it came with a 25 year warranty. The mattress itself is beautiful! I love the quilted patterned top. So is the box spring. There is no need for a bed skirt to hide it because it is so well made. I used to toss and turn a lot in my sleep, now i just melt into this bed and wake up in the same position. I actually used to have problems with sleep walking, too. But since sleeping on this mattress it has stopped. My husband is a former Marine (he just got out last month) and has had issues sleeping. Not getting to sleep, but staying to sleep. Even on Ambien he would wake up between 4-6 times a night. It was so frustrating for both of us. Now we go to bed early and sleep in every day! This thing is too good!

Nice of you to drop by and leave us your rave review, Mrs. Romano.

Reply #138 Jul 31, 2011 6:04 PM
I would recommend being careful selecting out an iComfort Revolution.  The Revolution comfort layers are 2" Koolcomfort memory foam with another 2.75" gel memory foam underneath .... that's 4.75" memory total and that is a lot!

In my opinion, the Revolution has more 'sink' than even a Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe, and that is a really soft, plush bed.  I believe it is Temurpedic's softest bed.  The Luxe also has 4.75" memory foam, but the bottom 2" is their HD memory foam, high density.   I seriously doubt either iComfort Revolution layer is as dense as Tempur HD.

I think the Genius is the more 'middle of the road' choice in iComfort.  But to each their own. 

This message was modified Aug 1, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #139 Aug 3, 2011 1:42 PM
I just want to confirm then counter some of the things mentioned about iComforts.

Many have mentioned the initial smell was faint and I agree with that.  Smell was never a problem with this Revolution. 

Way back when someone mentioned their Revolution was very hard on delivery.  Find me one Revolution in a store that is hard and too firm and I'll eat my shorts....

How could a bed with 4.75" of memory foam stacked on top of each other possible be too hard or firm? 

Sleeping warm - There is no question at all too me that this Revolution sleeps quite a bit warmer than any conventional innerspring regular foam mattress I've slept on.  I use only a top sheet and quilt now.  Still, last night, I could feel the excess warmth at times during the night.

But perhaps that excess warmth is hampered by my hips and torso sinking too deep in the mattress ... which by the way has brought on stiffness in my neck and upper back.   After 3 weeks, I can say this Revolution does not provide the support my spine needs.  I never had a problem with stiff neck sleeping on decent innerspring mattresses.  And I seriously doubt this is an adjustment period I'm going through.  More like an adjustment of my spine into worse position.

This message was modified Aug 3, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #140 Aug 4, 2011 1:38 AM
It seems Serta is a little off the mark with this iComfort series.  I'm not a huge fan of the Insight.  I've tried a twin set at Sears that seems to be pretty weak in the middle.  It's righ by an aisle and possible it has been abused, maybe not.  Not impressive though.

Next to it is a Genius.  The thing feels extra firm, almost defective.  It is really hard to lay on.  Next one over is the Revolution and that is a marshmellow.  Sure, it is inviting in terms of comfort, but I don't think the spine support is there.  Too much difference between the Genius and Revoulution in terms of firmness. 

Reply #141 Aug 4, 2011 8:16 PM
Anyone else noticed there is no airflow 'system' with the iComfort line?  Tempurpedic uses convoluted foam for air to circulate.  All iComfort foam is flat.  So how is the air supposed to circulate out? 

Anyone know what density the Gel foam and Koolcomfort foam are? 

The amount of sink into this Revolution bed is ridiculous.  So, 2 out of 4 of the beds are IMO, ultra plush - the Revolution and Prodigy. 

Reply #142 Aug 10, 2011 3:37 PM
I just discovered a bent vertical rod in the Serta iComfort 'StabL Base' foundation, which is 4 weeks old to the day.  These foundations have a sheries of V shaped rods that run from the bottom slats up to a network of thin metal rods.  One side of one V shape is bent.

I have no idea if it was bent upon shipment or bent in the last 4 weeks.  btw, the bent rod is right about in the hips, butt area.

If you have one of these foundations, shine a flashlight under it, up throught the fabric .... I don't think you'll be too impressed.

This message was modified Aug 10, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #143 Aug 10, 2011 10:08 PM
Long time no post.  Our story is that we returned our rock hard Insight for a Genius after the mandatory trial period.  Without question between the Insight and the Genius, we found the Genius more comfortable.  We do not find it too hot and we find the support & comfort just right.  We are now satisfied iComfort customers and have turned the corner and would recommend this bed to prospective foam bed buyers.  I felt a bit obliged to re-post as I did some slamming of the Insight earlier on this post.  I like many wished we didn't have to fork out the steep price of admission for foam beds.  I would recommend this bed, but prepare yourselves for a week of adjustment.  Get through that, and you should be pleased.  Maybe there is a jogging/running anology here with these foam beds - the first time one runs you are so damn sore you wonder who would ever run for exercise.  But stick with it, and life improves, to the point you happier and healthier for sticking with it.  We are both happy, FYI I am 40 and 175 lbs and my wife is 135 lbs.

I do actually wonder though if our first bed (Insight) had the wrong or defective foam, as after a month of sleeping on the Insight and going back to the store, our Insight was without question harder than the showroom floor Insight.  

PS.  We bought Temperpedic foam pillows off Ebay (rhapsedy, I think?) and really love them.  Again, pricy as heck, but really nice for side-sleepers.  I find they have settled out about an inch (since new) to be just perfect for me.  I don't like a fat or skinny pillow, it needs to be just right.  That would be this pillow!

Reply #144 Aug 11, 2011 12:27 PM
My husband and I just got a Serta icomfort Genius,after sleeping on a old spring mattress for years.We have slept on it for two nights and it just seems to stiff and I wake up with a kink in my back.Is it that I am adjusting to the new bed and that it needs to be broken in. Has anyone else had the same experience? If so does it get better?
This message was modified Aug 11, 2011 by junebug82
Reply #145 Aug 11, 2011 1:47 PM
junebug82 wrote:

My husband and I just got a Serta icomfort Genius,after sleeping on a old spring mattress for years.We have slept on it for two nights and it just seems to stiff and I wake up with a kink in my back.Is it that I am adjusting to the new bed and that it needs to be broken in. Has anyone else had the same experience? If so does it get better?

I don't have the Genius, but I've sampled it a number of times in the store.  Genius is just 2.75" of the gel memory foam.  Right underneath that is a 2" layer of 'support foam'.  My guess is that foam is there to firm up the mattress quite a bit.  I've always found the Genius more firm than Insight.

Under the 2" layer is the 6" core foam.

Will the Genius soften up?  I don't know, but the post above yours might give some insight.

Recent Posts