Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #130 Jul 24, 2011 9:48 AM
@Decisions or others, which is the water proof cover that you purchased recommended on this site?  Thanks
Reply #131 Jul 24, 2011 1:22 PM
Poster above - Protect-a-bed premium cover fits well on this iComfort revolution bed.

jblo -

Thanks for the update, and I'm thinking the same thing you are - maybe better to go firmer on a memory foam.  Genius has the 2" support foam underneath the 2 3/4" gel memory foam.

Also, the regular Tempurpedic Cloud has only 2.8" memory above the 5.x support foam - it is firmer than Could Supreme or Luxe mattress even though the top had 1.2" soft memory foam.

That said, about half the Tempurpedic reviews (150) on epinions are very negative about Tempurpedic.  But many are 5 stars too.

Reply #132 Jul 24, 2011 4:41 PM
slpngoc wrote:

Poster above - Protect-a-bed premium cover fits well on this iComfort revolution bed.

jblo -

Thanks for the update, and I'm thinking the same thing you are - maybe better to go firmer on a memory foam.  Genius has the 2" support foam underneath the 2 3/4" gel memory foam.

Also, the regular Tempurpedic Cloud has only 2.8" memory above the 5.x support foam - it is firmer than Could Supreme or Luxe mattress even though the top had 1.2" soft memory foam.

That said, about half the Tempurpedic reviews (150) on epinions are very negative about Tempurpedic.  But many are 5 stars too.

There are going to be good & bad reviews on every product/company out there. That goes outside the mattress arena as well. Gotta take all that w/a grain of salt. I love the Cloud Supreme, but I'm worried that it may not support me enough. However, I am only 130 lbs so maybe that is a non-issue at my weight.

Reply #133 Jul 26, 2011 7:25 PM
Well like others I wish I had found this before I bought the mattress.  I went in without my fiancee one day since I was just looking around.  I called him at work while I was in the store and asked him to look at it online and he was too busy.  The salesman told me that the price might not last (it was about $1000 less than the tempurpedics) and I was leaving for a week for work.  Long story short, I convinced my fiancee that this one was great and he told me to just get it.  It was delivered this morning and it has a definite chemical smell to it.  I am letting it air out now and have an air freshener in there in hopes it will be better tonight.  It feels about the same as in the store when I first laid on it.  I am just hoping my fiancee likes it.  We had a inner spring pillow top and I could feel every move he made and it kept waking me up.  I was also waking up with bad hip pain and heard the foam mattresses are better.  We do have the option of trading it out after 28 days and have up to 120 days to try it.  I hated the pillow top and will never get another, but I'm worried about the foam.  We have had a foam topper from costco on my previous bed and he hated it.  He always said he felt like he couldn't move and was trapped.  Hope this doesn't happen, but the reviews do not give me a lot of faith.  I will try it out a few days and post again. 
Reply #134 Jul 27, 2011 11:21 AM
jmy75, what model of iComfort did you get?

-----------------------------------------------------

I've been 2 weeks on my Revolution.  Sleeping warm is not an issue any more.  It was 68 F room temperature this morning.  I did have to shelve the comforter and buy a much thinner quilt, so using top sheet and quilt only.... and wearing shorts.

It is more pressure relieving than the Stearns conventional bed I traded for it as it's more comfortable to lay on my injured right shoulder.  Support may not be enough though.  I have the slightest little tweak in my lower back in the mornings.  Will need more time to see if I can fully adjust.

Like most conventional beds where you push with hands in the hips area and it gives a little more, push in feet area, gives less .... this mattress also exhibits that.  I guess you can say it has 'broken in'.

So, I will need more time to see if I really get to like this mattress.  SleepEZ says give it at least 30 days or more to see if it's good enough.  If not, I might try a SleepEZ latex offering.

This message was modified Jul 27, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #135 Jul 29, 2011 12:17 AM
Far as I can tell, iComfort quality does not match Tempurpedic.  Guess that's no surprise with TP being much more expensive in general.

With iComfort, I sort of don't like how the firmest is the 2nd model, Genius.  Next is Insight, then Revolution is very plush.  I like how Tempurpedic's thinnest mattress is the firmest, then more plush as they get thicker.

I think iComfort might be a decent value for the money and it's possible mine might work out well.  In the morning, it's still comfortable and I like to stay in bed.  Not sure yet if I'm getting the spine support needed.  Only been 2 weeks and a day.

This message was modified Jul 29, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #136 Jul 30, 2011 4:34 PM
My husband and I just purchased the Serta iComfort. We decided on the Revolution plush mattress. We had initially gone into the store wanting a Tempurpedic, but seeing the price tag we thought there had to be something else similar but with a smaller price tag. The salesperson showed us the iComfort and as soon as I laid down, I knew it was the one we'd end up purchasing. We've had it for about a month now and we have LOVED it since the day it was delivered. Oh my goodness, my husband and I joke and say that it's the "worst" thing we've ever done because it's almost impossible to get out of bed in the morning because it is so comfy! I had read some reviews online before purchasing and was kind of nervous that it would have a smell or be too firm upon delivery but had no problems with either issue. It did have a slight smell when it was first delivered--Very faint, and not "bad." It just had a "new" smell to it. Kind of comparable to a newly painted house smell. It went away within 2-3 days. I'm currently staying at my mom's for the weekend and I cannot wait to get back to our bed!! Now everything in comparison is just horrible. We definitely recommend this mattress. We got the price down to $1500 at Mattress Warehouse. A large chunk of money for a mattress but it is so worth it and it came with a 25 year warranty. The mattress itself is beautiful! I love the quilted patterned top. So is the box spring. There is no need for a bed skirt to hide it because it is so well made. I used to toss and turn a lot in my sleep, now i just melt into this bed and wake up in the same position. I actually used to have problems with sleep walking, too. But since sleeping on this mattress it has stopped. My husband is a former Marine (he just got out last month) and has had issues sleeping. Not getting to sleep, but staying to sleep. Even on Ambien he would wake up between 4-6 times a night. It was so frustrating for both of us. Now we go to bed early and sleep in every day! This thing is too good!
Reply #137 Jul 30, 2011 4:42 PM
MrsRomano wrote:

My husband and I just purchased the Serta iComfort. We decided on the Revolution plush mattress. We had initially gone into the store wanting a Tempurpedic, but seeing the price tag we thought there had to be something else similar but with a smaller price tag. The salesperson showed us the iComfort and as soon as I laid down, I knew it was the one we'd end up purchasing. We've had it for about a month now and we have LOVED it since the day it was delivered. Oh my goodness, my husband and I joke and say that it's the "worst" thing we've ever done because it's almost impossible to get out of bed in the morning because it is so comfy! I had read some reviews online before purchasing and was kind of nervous that it would have a smell or be too firm upon delivery but had no problems with either issue. It did have a slight smell when it was first delivered--Very faint, and not "bad." It just had a "new" smell to it. Kind of comparable to a newly painted house smell. It went away within 2-3 days. I'm currently staying at my mom's for the weekend and I cannot wait to get back to our bed!! Now everything in comparison is just horrible. We definitely recommend this mattress. We got the price down to $1500 at Mattress Warehouse. A large chunk of money for a mattress but it is so worth it and it came with a 25 year warranty. The mattress itself is beautiful! I love the quilted patterned top. So is the box spring. There is no need for a bed skirt to hide it because it is so well made. I used to toss and turn a lot in my sleep, now i just melt into this bed and wake up in the same position. I actually used to have problems with sleep walking, too. But since sleeping on this mattress it has stopped. My husband is a former Marine (he just got out last month) and has had issues sleeping. Not getting to sleep, but staying to sleep. Even on Ambien he would wake up between 4-6 times a night. It was so frustrating for both of us. Now we go to bed early and sleep in every day! This thing is too good!

Nice of you to drop by and leave us your rave review, Mrs. Romano.

Reply #138 Jul 31, 2011 6:04 PM
I would recommend being careful selecting out an iComfort Revolution.  The Revolution comfort layers are 2" Koolcomfort memory foam with another 2.75" gel memory foam underneath .... that's 4.75" memory total and that is a lot!

In my opinion, the Revolution has more 'sink' than even a Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe, and that is a really soft, plush bed.  I believe it is Temurpedic's softest bed.  The Luxe also has 4.75" memory foam, but the bottom 2" is their HD memory foam, high density.   I seriously doubt either iComfort Revolution layer is as dense as Tempur HD.

I think the Genius is the more 'middle of the road' choice in iComfort.  But to each their own. 

This message was modified Aug 1, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #139 Aug 3, 2011 1:42 PM
I just want to confirm then counter some of the things mentioned about iComforts.

Many have mentioned the initial smell was faint and I agree with that.  Smell was never a problem with this Revolution. 

Way back when someone mentioned their Revolution was very hard on delivery.  Find me one Revolution in a store that is hard and too firm and I'll eat my shorts....

How could a bed with 4.75" of memory foam stacked on top of each other possible be too hard or firm? 

Sleeping warm - There is no question at all too me that this Revolution sleeps quite a bit warmer than any conventional innerspring regular foam mattress I've slept on.  I use only a top sheet and quilt now.  Still, last night, I could feel the excess warmth at times during the night.

But perhaps that excess warmth is hampered by my hips and torso sinking too deep in the mattress ... which by the way has brought on stiffness in my neck and upper back.   After 3 weeks, I can say this Revolution does not provide the support my spine needs.  I never had a problem with stiff neck sleeping on decent innerspring mattresses.  And I seriously doubt this is an adjustment period I'm going through.  More like an adjustment of my spine into worse position.

This message was modified Aug 3, 2011 by slpngoc

Recent Posts