Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #11 May 2, 2011 4:49 AM
I just bought the icomfort Revolution (Queen size). In the store the mattress was incredibly soft and plush and that is what sold me. I received my mattress yesterday and it is hard as a rock. For $2000 I feel like this is unacceptable. Does anyone know if there is some sort of "break in" period? With this being so new I am having the hardest time finding information on it. By the way, I woke up this morning feeling very stiff after my first night on the mattress. I am only 25 so it's definitely not my age. I am stumped as to whether I should keep it or not. I hope it does get softer the more I use it. It's 2am here in Los Angeles and my second night with the iComfort and I can't sleep! I'm almost missing my ugly, old and considerably less expensive mattress. :(
This message was modified May 2, 2011 by astinia
Reply #12 May 2, 2011 2:21 PM
Just wanted to let you know that I am 29, and I had neck soreness and lower back/hip soreness the first 4-5 days while sleeping on the bed, never had those aches before in my life.  It did go away and I chalked it up to getting used to the mattress.  Regarding the stiffness of the bed, it did take the mattess about 16-20 hours to get to room temperature as in Chicago, it was colder than 68 degrees outside.  Depending on where you live, this may be the case as well, it should be at room temp and ideal softeness within 24 hours.  This mattress boasts ZERO break in period.  Good Luck
Reply #13 May 3, 2011 3:51 AM
Thank you for your insight. This will now be my 3rd night with the mattress and I don't feel a change at all in firmness. I live in Los Angeles and it was 80 degrees today so I don't think the temperature is affecting it. I will give it a few more nights and if no change has occurred by that time I will do an exchange. I suspect that Serta may have a considerable amount of returns of the iComfort because this seems to be a common problem. Thanks again for your help! :o)
Reply #14 May 3, 2011 4:51 AM
Just to warn you, in order to do a comfort exchange, we had to wait a minimum of 15 days.  Be sure to check it out.  I would give it at least 2 weeks before making a decision though.  
Reply #15 May 3, 2011 7:42 PM
Owner Icomfort  Insight:

First night and I am in so much pain......................Husband slept like a rock and 1st night loved it, no shoulder pain as with our previous pillow-top of 10 years.............wanted to switch from spring to foam/tempurpedic due to reaching 40's and the body needing more support during sleep.....Insight is the highest firmness, according to salesman.  Went back to store purchased from and the first question was how warm/cold is your home......live in Michigan and temp changes often.............salesman indicated to give the 60-day trial to confirm that my satisfaction/back pain is still there....at this point want to return to my old mattress and receive my $1800 back, but of course the stipulations of returning a mattress will cost over $200+, so my great deal when purchased may now cost $$$$$..............went to store for Tempurpedic and high pressure salesman sold us on the Icomfort due to it's great deal and cost below tempurpedics prices............................will keep you posted....................how many weeks to really enjoy a good night sleep????????????? 

Reply #16 May 3, 2011 8:10 PM
My aches and pains took about 4 days to be relieved.  I was in the same situation as you.  I had to wait 15 days to do a comfort exchange and this friday we get our Vera Wang Natural Poise Super Pillow Top mattress. We didnt have any option for a straight up return.  BTW, after 30 days, our insight feels like mush on my side. 
Reply #17 May 3, 2011 9:50 PM
Even if the aches and pains do go away I don't think that's enough to keep the mattress. I bought this mattress for the plushness. I saw that you mentioned that there is no "break in" time so it still won't get any softer. I could have purchased a much less expensive mattress for the same hardness of this darn iComfort. I actually bought this through JCPenney and they are willing to do an exchange at any time but are trying to get me to "stick it out" for a little longer. They can't resell used mattresses so it's money lost to them if I return it. 
Reply #18 May 3, 2011 10:00 PM
What happens is they send it back to serta but they are charged a fee.  It goes under a comfort exchange as you can do so within 120 days.  These beds are not comfortable  in my opinion.  I cannot wait for friday to go back to a normal mattress.
Reply #19 May 3, 2011 11:36 PM
I very much agree; they are too uncomfortable.  I was told by the lady at JCP customer service that information about it not being usable after a return. I wasn't aware that they are charged a fee. Please let us know how you like the Vera Wang mattress. I would genuinely be grateful for a quick review from you because I now need to start looking at new mattresses. Thank you so much for your help and insight.
Reply #20 May 3, 2011 11:45 PM
TBH- If we had a choice to purchase from a different vendor, I would of chosen that.  The only reason we chose to step up to the Vera Wang was because of limited choices. Out of what was left, it was the last one standing.  It feels extremely comfortable "in the store." LOL.  If we had our choice all over again, we would of stayed with Verlo.  If anything goes wrong with Verlo, they will pickup the bed and adjust whatever it is for a fee.  So lets say your pillow top is flat or the bed isnt firm enough, they are able to replace the material to make your bed newor firmer again.  They make the mattress right in the store and you can choose exactly your comfort.  Should of stayed local, I guess in 5-7 years we will have that choice to make all over again. 

I will do a quick follow up on here for you regarding the Vera Wang, but I will do it in two parts.  I will do one after 3 days(more of initial impressions, initital comfot, any smells etc.) and one after a week or two, as it takes a little time to get used to a new sleeping surface.  Good luck to you. 

This message was modified May 3, 2011 by petes67bird

Recent Posts