Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #2 Apr 17, 2011 1:22 AM
Thank you, marmitenot, for your response and information.  I'm very interested to hear what your thoughts as time progresses.  We are in no hurry to purchase a mattress because the hollowed out canoe feeling on our current pillow top is what we're used to over the past few years.  Much appreciated!
Reply #3 Apr 18, 2011 7:54 PM
Icomfort foam is manfuctured by Sleep Innovations. You can buy the same thing at Costco for half price under the name NovaForm. It's not a bad product for the price Costco is charging, but Serta put a different cover on it and is charging double.                                                                       I won't sit here and bash the product, just read reviews on NovaForm for peoples opinion. Hope this helps!

Reply #4 Apr 22, 2011 12:45 PM
I hadn't heard the iComfort is from the same product as NovaForm.  Thank you for the lead.  I'll go dig in and research that as well. 
Reply #5 Apr 24, 2011 11:28 PM
BigRon wrote:

Icomfort foam is manfuctured by Sleep Innovations. You can buy the same thing at Costco for half price under the name NovaForm. It's not a bad product for the price Costco is charging, but Serta put a different cover on it and is charging double.                                                                       I won't sit here and bash the product, just read reviews on NovaForm for peoples opinion. Hope this helps!

Please show me a link stating that the iComfort is made by Sleep Innovations. I also see nothing in the line at Costco that resembles the iComfort...

This message was modified Apr 24, 2011 by Temple
Reply #6 Apr 27, 2011 3:06 AM
Hi,

My wife and I currently own the Icomfort Insight, at least until they exchange it on May 6th.  I am a bigger guy, 6'6 240lbs.  It appears after 30 days of usage, that the mattress is already losing some of its firmness.  It still goes back to the original shape, just when I sit down or lay down, it seems to be extremely soft already.  When going to my wifes side who is only 130lbs, the mattress feels brand new and is extremely comfortable.  This is bad now because when I go to sleep, my butt seems to be so far sunk in and my feet and shoulders are alot higher up.  Causes some neck soreness and back soreness.  

The Icomfort was extremely comfortable and does sleep nice and cool.  I cannot say that this is a horrible line, but we may of just gotten a defective mattress, it happens.  Now unfortunately we are stuck with choosing another type of Serta mattress as its a comfort exchange, so we went with the Vera Wang Natural Poise Super Pillow Top.  If you really like the Icomfort line, I might suggest going for the Genius as it has the 3 inch support foam and is the firmest of all the mattresses, so that way if the foam does soften up, you arent way beyond your  comfort level.

I can tell you with certainty the mattress is made by Sleep Innovations as you can see the video on Youtube if you type in serta icomfort, it says it during the video.  What I can tell you also is that the Novaform is DIFFERENT as it is not gel infused as the Icomfort is.  The Novaform has a different cool layer, not gel infused though like the Icomfort.  I can also tell you that our bed was delivered on Friday morning.  We had to have the windows open and our ceiling fan on high until Sunday night before we could even enter the room without getting sick.  The smell was off the charts, a horrible foam smell.  It has dissipated to barely noticeable now 30 days later.  Wish you all the best.

Reply #7 Apr 27, 2011 3:20 PM
Hello,

My husband and I purchased the icomfort revolution queen matress and the adjustable base. We have been sleeping on it for about 3 weeks. Previously we had a sleeplevel memory foam mattress. We slept on it for about 6 years. I used to get up every night and turn the air conditioner lower because I woke up hot. This is not an issue anymore. In fact, I sometimes turn it up because it is too cool.

The dealer we purchased it from suggested we use a waterproof mattress pad, but when we did it was too hot. My theory on that is your body has to be in contact with the bed for the cooling gel to be effecitve. The waterproof mattress pad was too much of a barrier between your body and the bed. It took us about 1 week to get used to the firmer matress, but we love it now. There is still a very slight odor, but we don't find it unpleasant and it never was strong enough to be an issue. I used to wake up several times a night and be tired in the morning, but now I sleep about 4 hours, get up and use the bathroom and go right back to sleep for another 4 hours. I wake up refreshed and ready to get up. I am really happy about that. 

I hope this helps you in your research. 

Michelle

No affiliation, just a happy customer.

Reply #8 Apr 28, 2011 3:51 PM
The mattress owners' feedback is very valuable.  My wife and I both weight under 150lbs so the size/weight difference between the spouses isn't a factor for us.  I ended up purchasing the iComfort Revolution from The Great Indoors.  The standard price of $2,500 across the board is heavily enforced from what I can tell by shopping at Serta stores and online.  However, The Great Indoors took off 10% because of some special Sunday/Monday Easter deal and another 10% because I financed it through them with 18 months / no interest.  Then they threw in some rewards points stuff and knocked off another $30, included a bed frame, and are sending me a $25 gift card.  I have plenty of credit cards and cash, but since I have no outstanding balances or debt I saw this as an opportunity to increase my credit score.  Anyway, the store associates were clueless regarding beds and mattresses, but since I already knew the exact make/model I wanted it didn't really matter. 

I am concerned about the smell, but from what I can tell that will be a problem with all foam mattresses.  I'm really happy to hear about the "sleeping cooler" response.  My wife will love that...  Also, regarding the mattress cover, I'm glad to hear we shouldn't buy one.  That's another $100 I can avoid spending and the comment aligns with what the stores say:  "the closer your body is to the mattress, the more it will respond as expected."

I'll post again when it arrives and I have a chance to experience the terrible smell and the (hopefully) joyful night's sleep.

Reply #9 Apr 28, 2011 5:19 PM
Just remember though that if you have a spill, sweat, or any type of stain on the mattress, Serta will claim that you voided your warranty.  I believe the 100 dollar protector is the best thing you can do for your mattress's warranty in that you will not void it.  I didnt want to buy it either, but with reading how strict the mattress companies are with standing by their warranties, I would never lay on the mattress without one.  I paid 79 from amazon on a Protect A Bed mattress cover for a king bed.  Regarding the smell, what I would recommend is to plan on sleeping elsewhere the first 2 days till it airs out from being in the plastic.  After that it was not too bad(bearable) and by the 2nd week, we hardly noticed it.  To the person who said they didnt have the smell, well you are lucky.  It took 1 week for our Rottweiler to even go near the bed due to the smell and our dog sleeps with us so it was extremely odd.  Good luck to you with the mattress, I myself am trying to find out if the Vera Wang we are switching too will be good quality.  If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, I will be more than happy to be honest with you.

Also one more note to add regarding the cover.  Do a search on mold and memory foam mattresses.  Alot of users of even tempurpedic have found that after a couple years of laying on the mattress and naturally sweating during sleep, the sweat drips through the foam and creates a moldy surface.  Just a FYI.

This message was modified Apr 28, 2011 by petes67bird
Reply #10 Apr 29, 2011 12:58 PM
Have you thought about the perfect sleeper with the eurotop? I initially wanted the iComfort since one of my girlfriends highly recommended it - until I saw the price tag that is!  I had a really tough time with mattress shopping when I moved into my new house a little over a month ago. I scoured every mattress/furniture store for about two weeks and surprisingly ended up ordering one online. I got a Serta perfect sleeper from ShopNBC.com. Specifically the Dorchester eurotop. I'm a hot sleeper and my boyfriend is canNOT stand being even slightly warm - which makes sleeping uncomfortable at times. With this bed - we're so comfortable and happy! I would highly recommend expanding your choices by going online. Do a quick Google search and find the best values. For this purchase, I used a coupon code I Googled. Along with that, free shipping and mattress set up/removal, and the Value Pay option – I ended up paying MUCH less than what I found in-store - AND paying about a 1/4 of the price of the iComfort. Sleeping is now absolute heaven! laugh
This message was modified May 3, 2011 by a moderator
Reply #11 May 2, 2011 4:49 AM
I just bought the icomfort Revolution (Queen size). In the store the mattress was incredibly soft and plush and that is what sold me. I received my mattress yesterday and it is hard as a rock. For $2000 I feel like this is unacceptable. Does anyone know if there is some sort of "break in" period? With this being so new I am having the hardest time finding information on it. By the way, I woke up this morning feeling very stiff after my first night on the mattress. I am only 25 so it's definitely not my age. I am stumped as to whether I should keep it or not. I hope it does get softer the more I use it. It's 2am here in Los Angeles and my second night with the iComfort and I can't sleep! I'm almost missing my ugly, old and considerably less expensive mattress. :(
This message was modified May 2, 2011 by astinia

Recent Posts