New Mattress Too Firm
Aug 10, 2010 1:02 AM
I just received delivery of a new mattress today replacing a  latex mattress purchased in June.  While the latex mattress was comfortable to sleep on, I woke up with lower back pains every morning.  It was just too soft. I also got very warm sleeping on the latex.   Thankfully the store I purchased from allowed an exchange with a restocking/delivery fee.   When I went to the store to choose a replacement, I chose a very firm mattress.  I think I made a big mistake.  It feels like I am sleeping on the floor it is so firm.  I would like some advice on what to do.  Would a pad of some sort help or will I somehow eventully get used to it.  The mattress in the store did not feel this firm - yes it was firm but felt way more comfortable than the bed that was delivered.  Does the bed soften up a bit after a bit of use.  Has anyone had this experience?  I can't imagine going back to the store and say this bed is too firm.  I am not sure even if I went back that I could make a good decision based on the two decisions I just made. HELP!!!  I just need a good nights sleep.
Re: New Mattress Too Firm
Reply #9 Aug 17, 2010 7:06 PM
Usually the vent holes are on both sides so it doesn't matter.   If only on one side, I would face them up I guess.   I have found that it is best to place the bare latex right on the mattress.  This way it will NOT move!   If you put a cloth cover on a topper it tends to slide around.   I put an old sheet on my latex topper but left the bare side directly on the mattress.....no movement at all.   Then I put a washable wool/cotton mattress pad over the whole mattress assembly.   The wool mattress pad is awesome and I noticed that the bed sleeps much cooler now and wicks all moisture away.   WORTH every penny (lots of pennies!).    There are lots of posts on this forum about the Dormeir or Natura washable wool pads.

Good luck and happy sleeping.

Recent Posts