New Mattress Too Firm
Aug 10, 2010 1:02 AM
I just received delivery of a new mattress today replacing a  latex mattress purchased in June.  While the latex mattress was comfortable to sleep on, I woke up with lower back pains every morning.  It was just too soft. I also got very warm sleeping on the latex.   Thankfully the store I purchased from allowed an exchange with a restocking/delivery fee.   When I went to the store to choose a replacement, I chose a very firm mattress.  I think I made a big mistake.  It feels like I am sleeping on the floor it is so firm.  I would like some advice on what to do.  Would a pad of some sort help or will I somehow eventully get used to it.  The mattress in the store did not feel this firm - yes it was firm but felt way more comfortable than the bed that was delivered.  Does the bed soften up a bit after a bit of use.  Has anyone had this experience?  I can't imagine going back to the store and say this bed is too firm.  I am not sure even if I went back that I could make a good decision based on the two decisions I just made. HELP!!!  I just need a good nights sleep.
Re: New Mattress Too Firm
Reply #6 Aug 13, 2010 9:51 PM
Just one added clarification:  if you buy a queen 1 inch latex.. you can fold it over in half to see how 2 inches of same topper would feel, so the one inch will kill two birds with a stone.

Just one inch can make an amazing difference!  Good luck.  shovel99

Reply #7 Aug 16, 2010 11:42 AM
I really hear you on your problem, GoodNight10. I posted a few weeks ago after having spent my whole budget on a latex OMI mattress that felt perfect in the store, is a bit too firm at home. Like you, we had a WAY too mushy (S&F latex/synthetic foam piece-of-garbage) mattress before that was awful. We have hip/low back problems and mushy really sucked for us. We are much better off with the firmness, but now we're trying to tweak it with a topper. 

Based on advice here, we got a FoamByMail 1" 20 ILD topper. It did away with our too-hard pressure point issues and I like it, but my husband is waking up with achy hips. I don't know what our next move should be. Shovel99's advice about doubling up the 1" to see if 2" is a great suggestion. But if my husband's hips are achy but the mattress surface is too firm, I don't know whether to go up or down in inches or ILD.

We also have no proper mattress pad/cover containing the whole thing, but just double-sheeted our bed. So the topper shifts off the mattress edged a little bit. If anyone has a good rec for a mattress pad/cover, I'd love to hear it.

Reply #8 Aug 17, 2010 5:58 PM
I ordered from foambymail.com.  I paid about $112 for a 1" talalay latex foam topper (20 ILD).  It was delivered today!  Can't wait to try it out tonight.

Not sure the best way to place on the mattress.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Does it go directly on the mattress, with the vent holes facing up?

Do you need a special cover to keep from slipping?  Will let you know how I sleep tonight.  Again, thanks for your suggestions.

To Topperquest - was your husband comfortable without the topper?  If so, maybe you can cut the foam in half and have your side with the foam and his without.

Reply #9 Aug 17, 2010 7:06 PM
Usually the vent holes are on both sides so it doesn't matter.   If only on one side, I would face them up I guess.   I have found that it is best to place the bare latex right on the mattress.  This way it will NOT move!   If you put a cloth cover on a topper it tends to slide around.   I put an old sheet on my latex topper but left the bare side directly on the mattress.....no movement at all.   Then I put a washable wool/cotton mattress pad over the whole mattress assembly.   The wool mattress pad is awesome and I noticed that the bed sleeps much cooler now and wicks all moisture away.   WORTH every penny (lots of pennies!).    There are lots of posts on this forum about the Dormeir or Natura washable wool pads.

Good luck and happy sleeping.

Recent Posts