Inner Spring vs Pocket Coil
May 12, 2010 9:25 AM
Hi Folks,

I'm choosing a mattress at Gardner Mattress in Salem, MA...Just can't decide if I should go with an Inner Spring or a Pocket Coil.  Both have 2" of latex on top, 3" felt too soft for me.

The Inner Spring is a very low coil count at 260 with very thick gauge.  Will that lump up?  Other problems?

I worry the pocket coil won't last as long, but at 125 lbs and only me in the bed, maybe I', wrong...maybe it's what's ON TOP that matters (latex).

Both have either no PU or very little PU, and they have a no-charge refund policy (30 day trial if I want to switch out).

I can't afford an all-latex, so I have to choose between these two.  HELP!  Thanks

This message was modified May 19, 2010 by a moderator
Re: Inner Spring vs Pocket Coil
Reply #16 May 27, 2010 9:23 PM
budgy wrote:

LOL well I guess we could sort of say that.  I really think this idea that the coils migrate is more a myth. Pocket coils flex more than most standard springs as they are not reinforced by helical wires, so the foam itself flexes more than it does on a normal spring....this might somewhat contribute to more severe body indentations which does seem to happen.  I guess my skepticism is just that none of these people probably ever looked on the inside of the mattress after it 'failed'.  I have cut open a few warrantied Simmons mattresses.  I would even cut the springs out of the pockets where the major indentations in the mattress were located, I would measure the height of the coil inside and outside of the pocket (they were precompressed before being placed in the pockets) so it was a pretty good way to measure empirically if the springs had in any way started to deform.  I've never seen migration of coils or a reduction in spring height even in pretty old mattresses.....atlhough if you were to lay on them...they felt horrible, big peaks and valleys, very lumpy upholstery.  That kind of idea.

I personally think that Simmons coils from 10 or 15 years ago were probably the best they ever made, but they also started to use a lot more and cheaper foams during that same time, and that trend has continued. 

In todays pocket coil arena 90% of what you find will be made by Leggett or in China. Truth be told most of them are pretty comparable....I would prefer the Leggett Spring just because I like the idea of supporting American business more than something so far away from home.  Simmons still makes their own, but they have over the last couple years moved closer and closer to the way Leggett and other spring makers have done their pocket coils and the differences now are basically negligible.  As always comparing spring counts and gauge of wire is still the best medium of comparison since at this point the design is not dramatically different. 

I had a chance to look at the guts of a Vi- Spring mattress recently....I was honestly blown away by how it is made and how it feels even to the hand, although at certain point to get that kind of quality spring you don't just buy that mattress for a DIY build because they did everything else right anyway.  I also carry a brand called GreenSleep and they make their own hand made pocket coil system....I wouldn't put it quite onto Vi-Springs level but you can tell that it is not your normal mass produced spring system.  Again though any of these mattresses are already finished with materials you wouldn't want to remove.

Thanks budgy, that's very helpful. I am thinking my next mattress might be a pocket coil. If you hear of one that you can recommend that isn't too expensive, let me know. My idea would be to buy one that I HOPEFULLY would not have to do surgery on, but if I did end up hating it, I could do surgery on it. ;-D

Recent Posts