foambymail latex - who owns it?
Sep 30, 2007 2:44 PM
I am hoping to order a latex mattress in the near future and am strongly leaning towards foambymail as their prices fit my budget best.  I know about the ongoing debate over where foambymail gets their latex from, but I'm willing to accept that. 

Any feedback from users who have ordered a latex mattress or topper from foambymail would be much appreciated.
This message was modified Sep 30, 2007 by jiffy524
Re: foambymail latex - who owns it?
Reply #64 Dec 2, 2007 4:05 PM
Foam Nerd
jiffy524 wrote:
I know someone else mentioned it might feel the same because they are so thin (1").  Why don't you fold them both in half, and try to feel a difference?

I have folded them in half (2"), thirds (3", and fourths (4").
Reply #65 Dec 2, 2007 4:20 PM
Foam Nerd
donw wrote:
We slept on the 1" 20ILD latex over our gel bed last night, and it felt wonderful! The 1" is thin enough that it conforms to the gel, allowing it to do its job (buckling at the hip and shoulder area) and it was soft enough for great comfort. It was dense enough that I didn't feel the "sharpness" of the gel through it. That was the problem with the 12ILD PU I tried over it -- you could still feel the "edges" through it. And unlike the 2" FBM pink memo foam we tried, we weren't sinking in 5" at the hips. I think this may be it for us.

I slept with the 1" overlay on top of my Intelli-Gel mattress last night. It was comfortable enough, but I wouldn't say more so than with it under the Intelli-Gel. I felt some pressure on my hip that I don't recall feeling when the Intelli-Gel was the topmost layer. Even just 1" of latex is going to distribute any "point source" load, and given the way the Intelli-Gel works, with each column being supported by the 8 adjacent columns, any distribution of force will make the Intelli-Gel more firm and less able to accommodate something like the point of the hip bone. I will sleep with it like this until by 2" soft latex topper arrives because it's a lot of work to monkey the Intelli-Gel topper, which weighs over 100lb, around.

MyComfort makes a two layer Intelli-Gel overlay. That has got to be one heavy SOB.
This message was modified Dec 2, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #66 Dec 2, 2007 4:35 PM
haysdb, maybe it was sinking too abrubtly for me (at the hips), and the topper makes it sink more gradually. I slept so well last night--only turned a couple of times. I slept on both my side and back. I do believe my configuration is better for back sleeping. Although the latex does seem to help reduce arm circulation problems, I think I would need some kind of zoning to get my shoulders perfect. I do wonder if you have a 32ILD 1" instead of 20ILD, though.
Reply #67 Dec 2, 2007 5:09 PM
Foam Nerd
donw wrote:
I do wonder if you have a 32ILD 1" instead of 20ILD, though.

I should know for sure when I get the soft 2" topper from SleepWarehouse. At present I have nothing to compare what I have to. The softer the topper, the less it would interfere with the operation of the Intelli-Gel, so I think it's imperative that any topper used over Intelli-Gel needs to be soft and thin.

I like the way the Intelli-Gel is conforming to pressure points and yet firm and supportive at the same time, I just think that alone it's too thin to represent the entire comfort layer for a side sleeper. I started out with an ILD 38 core that I feared was not firm enough for my 240 lbs, and now I'm struggling to soften things up between the 5.6" core and the 3.25" Intelli-Gel overlay. When I was told the ILD of  the 2.8" of latex in the MyComfort Intelli-Gel/Latex overlay, I refused to believe it. At that point I was paranoid about going too soft. I have come full circle and am now looking for the softest foam I can find to put under the Intelli-Gel.
Reply #68 Dec 3, 2007 11:29 AM
Do FBM latex toppers look like the picture on their website? It looks like the holes are really small compared to most latex I have seen. I think I'm going to order a 2" 32 ILD.
This message was modified Dec 3, 2007 by steve2u
Reply #69 Dec 3, 2007 11:54 AM
Steve, mine does not look like that picture - holes are bigger in relation to the spacing.
Reply #70 Dec 3, 2007 7:30 PM
I just received my FBM latex.  I am not sure how flawless latex should look, but mine had many imperfections (perhaps FBM resells 'seconds').  I doubt it will have any impact on the performance, time will tell.
Reply #71 Dec 4, 2007 7:37 AM
ericgl wrote:
I just received my FBM latex.  I am not sure how flawless latex should look, but mine had many imperfections (perhaps FBM resells 'seconds').  I doubt it will have any impact on the performance, time will tell.

ericgl - What did you order? Topper or mattress?
Reply #72 Dec 4, 2007 10:30 AM
I received 2 3" toppers (the 20ILD and 32ILD), and 5" of Lux foam yesterday. 

Not to stray too far off-topic, but I was quite suprised how firm the Lux foam felt, even under 6" of latex.

Reply #73 Dec 4, 2007 11:14 AM
Can the 3" 32 ILD support you without bottoming out on the LUX?

Recent Posts