foambymail latex - who owns it?
Sep 30, 2007 2:44 PM
I am hoping to order a latex mattress in the near future and am strongly leaning towards foambymail as their prices fit my budget best.  I know about the ongoing debate over where foambymail gets their latex from, but I'm willing to accept that. 

Any feedback from users who have ordered a latex mattress or topper from foambymail would be much appreciated.
This message was modified Sep 30, 2007 by jiffy524
Re: foambymail latex - who owns it?
Reply #46 Nov 14, 2007 1:07 PM
Finally received my FBM mattress, picked it up from UPS.  Mine came in a box, which was barely in tact when I received it, but there was a box, with a packing slip attached to the outside.  Inside, packaged all smushed up, my mattress wrapped in shrink wrap.  I am going to put my new bed together tonight or tomorrow, and then open the mattress.

I will report back once it is all set up and I have spent a few nights on it.
Reply #47 Nov 17, 2007 11:11 AM

jiffy524 wrote:
Finally received my FBM mattress, picked it up from UPS.  Mine came in a box, which was barely in tact when I received it, but there was a box, with a packing slip attached to the outside.  Inside, packaged all smushed up, my mattress wrapped in shrink wrap.  I am going to put my new bed together tonight or tomorrow, and then open the mattress.

I will report back once it is all set up and I have spent a few nights on it.

how is it?

Could you repeat which exact mattress you purchased AND your weight height?

thanks!
This message was modified Nov 17, 2007 by novahelp
Reply #48 Nov 17, 2007 2:58 PM
Yah size and weight would be great, I just received a 36lbs 3" 5.5lbs/ft^3 queen memory foam topper which should have been about 46lbs.  And did you order through ebay or their website?  Thanks
Reply #49 Nov 17, 2007 5:31 PM
Foam Nerd
FYI, The color of FBM's 5 lb memory foam is pink. They only have one pink foam as far as I am aware.
Reply #50 Nov 17, 2007 6:27 PM
Just an FYI, my 3" FBM which was not the top density model (I guess the 4.5 is the lower model) is PINK.  However, as it ages it slowly has turned orange on the more exposed side. Strange eh?

haysdb wrote:
FYI, The color of FBM's 5 lb memory foam is pink. They only have one pink foam as far as I am aware
This message was modified Nov 17, 2007 by novahelp
Reply #51 Nov 17, 2007 8:02 PM
Foam Nerd
I stand corrected. This page calls their 4.5 lb foam "white memory foam" and the 5.5 lb foam "pink memory foam" and here are their pictures:
Reply #52 Nov 17, 2007 8:08 PM
haysdb wrote:
I stand corrected. This page calls their 4.5 lb foam "white memory foam" and the 5.5 lb foam "pink memory foam" and here are their pictures:

It looks like they sent me by mistake the more dense foam!  Not that it made a difference on my cheaperpedic.  I did order the 4.5, and they sent me the pink one.

As I said the pink has turned to a yellow/orange. Not sure this is normal?
Reply #53 Nov 18, 2007 8:53 AM
novahelp wrote:
As I said the pink has turned to a yellow/orange. Not sure this is normal?

That is what happened to my Sensus also.  The pink stuff does not like daylight.
Reply #54 Nov 18, 2007 11:48 AM
Sorry for the delay in my update, I had some problems with my bed from IKEA, and finally got it assembled last night.

My impressions of the mattress?  Great! 

Immediate impression: As I said before, it shipped very quickly to me.  The package said to weigh 56 lbs, for a 6" firm latex full size mattress, I didn't bother to weigh it.  The box came torn, FBM could have picked a better box, but I'm sure UPS did a number on it.  It was, however,  wrapped very well in plastic shrink wrap inside the box. 

Out of the packaging:  I ordered the terry cloth cover for $20 more, great choice.  FBM even put the mattress into the terry cover for me, which I was not expecting although greatly appreciated.  The mattress came folded, more than rolled.  It was folded in half, top to bottom, and then side to side.  It unpackaged pretty easily, but I had a friend to help due to its size and "wet noodle" consistency.  The smell is that of latex, rubbery.  It isn't that strong, and I know it will dissipate with time, but it is not the vanilla smell people have reported with LI Latex.

On the bed:  When I first laid down I wasn't that impressed, it was much softer than I was expecting.  IMO, firm latex is not nearly the same as firm innerspring.  I put the sheets on (Modal Jersey sheets from JcPenney, which are to die for!), and gave it another try.  Much better now.

Final impression:  I love the springy feeling.  I hate going to hotels, and having a soft bed that feel stiff because I feel heavy and stuck in place.  Latex is bouncier, which is how my old (worn out) bed was.  I like the spring a lot.  Although the bed is softer than I was expecting, it is not a negative at all.  The mattress feels springy, supporting, and slightly soft, in a gentle way.  It is hard to describe exactly how it feels, but it feel nicer and more luxurious than anything I've been on before.  Also, the terry cover is made for up to 8", but the "looseness" of it being on a 6" mattress is not really noticeable.

I have a lighter down blanket that I put on the bed, and then laid on top of.  I did not like it, it took away from the latex feel.

Lastly, I think that 6" of latex over the slats is OK, but not the best.  If I am lying, I can't really feel the slats, although if I sit on the center beam I can feel it.  I think that 6" is the bare minimum, and OK if you are not a heavy person.  I have no desire at this point to make the bed any softer than it is, so I probably will not get an additional topper.  I also don't have the desire to turn a $380 mattress into a $760 mattress, by getting another 6" firm core.  If I decide that I need some extra cushioning, I will likely add 1" of 32ILD latex from FBM as a topper, and possibly another 1" if I still feel I need more, but after 1 night, I don't see this happening.

About me:  5'7, 140lbs, mostly a side but also a stomach sleeper.
The bed: Ikea Malm, with Sultan Lillaker adjustable flexible slat foundation, set to firm.  FYI, the fact that the slats have 5 adjustable ones is great.  I tried out one side of the bed firm and the other soft, a definite difference.
The setup:  Flex Slats, 6" of firm latex, Terry Cover, Jersey Modal sheets.

I would like to get some sort of mattress protector, hopefully a very thin cotton cover, as I don't want anymore than what is necessary to be between me and the bed.  If someone can recommend a thin and cheap pad/protector, I would appreciate it.  Preferably something at Target or JCP, so I can return it locally.

I will post another review in a couple weeks, after I've had a chance to sleep on it more.
This message was modified Nov 19, 2007 by jiffy524
Reply #55 Nov 19, 2007 8:36 AM
jiffy524,

I forgot.  Are you primarily a back, stomach, or side sleeper?

Also, you might want to consider some dense polyurethane under your core if you do want it stiffer, rather than a topper.  You can get that from FBM too:

FBM foam

Recent Posts