Body Depressions - Latex vs. Coil Spring Bed
Feb 20, 2008 8:48 PM
Give the core material, will a latex bed show body depressions as fast, slower or none at all when compared to a coil spring bed ?

I've been looking at different beds out of them, I've narrowed it down to a S&F/Sealy Latex Matrress or a McRoskey.
Did not like the feel of any of the foams at all. 
Re: Body Depressions - Latex vs. Coil Spring Bed
Reply #6 Feb 23, 2008 4:11 AM
Wow--you do live some distance away! I wonder if they ship. I also wonder how much it would be. By the way, if you don't hear back via e-mail soon, you might try giving them a call and ask for the owner, Dan. He told me once that he doesn't get to his e-mail too often. Maybe with the website he does. Also, wouldn't you want to try out a mattress first? It could get kind of expensive with the shipping if it didn't work out. Let me know how it goes!

Sabra wrote:
Beddybye, I checked out his site and emailed him about shipping to NC! I'll see what he says. Thanks for the info.
Reply #7 Feb 23, 2008 9:08 AM
As I've opined before, that's how all coil mattresses should be made/offered. My guess is that basic support system decision possibly could be made based on weight/body type/sleep position preference (though original choice apparently wasn't firm enough for BB). Further adjustments/fine tuning probably could be done through comfort layers. Not as much of a crapshoot as sealed systems. Here's a link for another custom mattress manufacturer only one time zone away. They can use latex, but are sealed systems: http://www.antiquemattress.com/. But, since NC is/was the furniture capital of the U.S., there may be shops in your neck of the woods doing the same thing as BB's California shop. And again, once you have a good idea of the coil system that works for you, have a mattress made with almost zero padding (nothing which will permanently compress) and a basic, non-padded cover. Then construct your own separate mini-mattress to form the comfort system, building up the layers until you're happy, then buying the cover to contain it. Corner straps will hold it in place. [Don't have preconceived notions about topper thickness. 2"-3" may be OK, but my custom zoned topper for side sleeping is 5"-6"].
Reply #8 Feb 23, 2008 11:01 AM
Thanks for absolutely wonderful info Mccldwll. I will check out the site. It's also good to know about your preferred thickness because I too am a side sleeper and will get aches and toss if the mattress isn't cushioned enought. It's quite an adventure isn't it?

Recent Posts