Anyone tried a Select Comfort or similar air type mattress?
Jan 13, 2009 1:15 AM
I have a friend who swears by his Select Comfort although admittedly he never had any sleep issues such as back pain.
He even bought one for his parents and says they love it too.
I think they seem very over-priced but if it gave me a good night's sleep with less back pain the price would not be an issue.

Just curious if anyone here has ever tried one of these?
Re: Anyone tried a Select Comfort or similar air type mattress?
Reply #9 Jan 19, 2009 9:57 PM
Select Comfort was part of our research.  Decided against it as we (1) found them waaaay too expensive and (2) we have a inner-spring and air combo mattress in our RV and it is okay for camping but we wouldn't want to sleep on it regularly.

Have you taken a hard look at modern waterbed mattresses??  My bride has a menu of recently identified back problems from curvature of the spine to multiple failing discs.

We have been sleeping on waterbed mattresses for 22 years after an almost new and expensive inner-spring mattress began to sag.

Anyway, she starting having pain while trying to sleep so I simply added water to our 8 yr old mattress which firmed it up and lowered wave action and she is sleeping well.  We have decided to buy one of the dual mode models so that she can have more firmness than I need and the new one will be "ultra-waveless".

Waterbeds are not the shoshy and bouncey things we played on in the early 70s - they are serious sleep platforms that are also seriously less expensive than ANY spring or foam alternative.  The new one will be only our third in 22 yrs and will bring our total cash investment in mattresses to just $800.

We keep the mattress temperature at a very comfortably warm 89 degress (having a heated bed is sooo civilized and nice) - so if you don't have very sharp clawed cats or often sleep with sharp objects we believe that a modern waterbed has all the others beat and at prices just a fraction of the other choices.

Best of Luck

Re: Anyone tried a Select Comfort or similar air type mattress?
Reply #10 Feb 8, 2009 8:03 PM
Hi imjay, Yes, I have considered a waterbed. I used to sleep on one of the old wavey squishy waterbags when I was in my 20's and loved it! And  then in my 30's I had a little more complex one with some baffling in it and that was fine, too. Finally it kept leaking at the corners and I had to get rid of it.

Then, about 5 years ago I slept on my nephew's waterbed for a couple nights and that felt very good, too (his was a more modern one with baffling and maybe some foam in it?)

So I am interested in water beds but when I looked at them 7 years or so ago all the ones I found that looked to be of a good quality were too expensive. May I ask if you can recommend a not-too expensive one?

I am not ready to try one yet. Right now I am very happy with my new overnightmattress.com M-Grade Foam mattress. But should it become uncomfortable, I may indeed try a waterbed next...

Recent Posts