Positive experience with Sleepez
Jul 17, 2010 5:10 PM
I have been reading this forum a great deal to guide our mattress decision.  Thanks for the great information!  To add to the community here is my experience with Sleepez.

After sleeping on spring mattresses and having the padding crush down and springs soften I wanted to try another type of construction.  I was very excited about the air mattresses, but after trying them I didn't find them very supportive.  My experiences with memory foam pillows and toppers were that they felt great at first, but softened a great deal over time.  After reading this message board I decided to give latex a try.  

I read the websites and compared products from plushbeds, habitat, flobeds, and sleepez.  More people seem to have had positive experiences with the last two so I focused on flobeds and sleepez.  Then came the endless decisions:  natural or blend, talalay or dunlop?  We decided that price was a major factor and went with sleepez because with their special pricing, a queen latex with 6 inch dunlop core and 2 inch talalay topper was under $1000, and the least expensive flobed (albeit with natural talalay) would have been double that.  Ultimately we ordered the soft/med/firm configuration that Shaun says most people go with.

Now here is a piece of info that I haven't seen mentioned on the forum yet:  Shaun said that I could order the talalay blend instead of dunlop if I wanted and still get the special price.  Ultimately, because my wife and I like firm beds we decided to stay with the dunlop.  Shipping was fast, set up wasn't terribly difficult, and just three days later we were sleeping on the new mattress.  My experience was that my years long persistent backache wasn't there in the morning!  Unfortunately, my wife found the mattress very hard (I am 5ft 10, 185lb, she is 5 ft 4, 135lb) and described it like camping on the ground.  Talking to Shaun, what we decided to do was to swap with a talalay blend medium layer, and while it was shipping, we made my wife's side soft/med dunlop/ med dunlop while mine became soft/ firm dunlop/firm dunlop.  This combo was better for my wife, too firm for me.  Yesterday the new layer arrived and we created our new layers of soft T/ med T/ firm D for me, and soft T/ med T/ med D for her. 

It has only been one night but it felt great.  Very soft and much easier to sleep on my side, but still no backache.  My wife reports it was much more comfortable as well.

We will continue this set up for a while, and just hang on to the other cores for a few weeks (Shaun's suggestion) until we are sure it is right.  Ultimately, I might decide I want it slightly firmer in which case I will swap my medium Talalay for the medium Dunlop we still have.

Anyway I hope this is helpful and that learning the talalay blend is available at sleepez's special price might be useful for someone.  It might be strange to have two talalay layers and one dunlop layer but it is working for us so far.

John

This message was modified Jul 17, 2010 by johntlc
Re: Positive experience with Sleepez
Reply #1 Jul 18, 2010 1:14 AM
Good to hear. Your setup is what I was considering going with, dunlop on bottom and talalay on top. How would you compare the dunlop to the talalay. I know the dunlop is firmer feeling, but any other differences? Thanks.
Reply #2 Jul 18, 2010 2:21 AM
Mike,

I was surprised how different the talalay blend and dunlop feel.  The talalay is more even, more springy, much softer (even with both labelled medium the talalay is softer than the dunlop).  Frankly the talalay blend was just prettier and the dunlop more irregular and stiff.  That said, I like having the dunlop as the last layer because I don't worry about bottoming out even with only an 8 in mattress.  If I was all talalay I think I would feel more confident with more layers to be sure I didn't bottom out.  

I am sure others can contribute more about differences between the two.  Best wishes with your mattress choice.

John

Reply #3 Oct 4, 2010 6:00 PM
I am the original poster and after 3 months with the SleepEZ.com queen special I thought I would post an update.

I originally got the 8 in queen special (under $1000) with 3 layers (soft Talalay, med Dunlop, firm Dunlop).  We then did the $30.00 core exchange to try a medium Talalay layer.  

This was working well for me until we moved the mattress off the floor.  After buying the foundation from sleepez, I found my setup gave me lower back pain.  I tried a variety of set ups and eventually what has worked well for me was to swap the firm and medium layers (e.g. now I have soft Talalay, firm Talalay, and med Dunlop).  This has totally fixed my back problems and I find that nagging back ache throughout the day when I sit in my car, at my desk, on my sofa have all disappeared.

Finally I just want to say again how happy I am with the sleepez customer service.  I have talked with Shaun several times by phone, and every time he has been incredibly helpful and generous.  When I described my unhappiness with the foundation, he immediately said to just return it (I assumed this wasn't an option).  I actually just went to home depot and bought an extra slat or two to put under my back area and the problem was solved.  Also he extended my 100 day trial period by 30 days, and I have still not returned my core swap just in case my wife wants to try another set up.  In every case everyone at sleepez has been incredibly helpful and understanding.  They get top marks in my book.

I hope this helps some of you considering a latex bed.

John

Reply #4 Oct 15, 2010 8:34 PM
Whoops.  I meant to say my final sleep configuration from top to bottom is :  Soft Talalay, Firm Dunlop, Medium Talalay.

John

Reply #5 Oct 18, 2010 11:46 PM
Movies online free ..... and a .biz domain?

On a mattress forum?

On your first post?

I'm scared to click it in case my computer explodes.

Am I missing anything?

Phoenix

Recent Posts