Overstock
Feb 8, 2010 11:32 AM
I hereby withdraw and recant all comments about overstock.com. I can't have it both ways.
This message was modified Mar 3, 2010 by Pete
Re: Overstock Recants Original Statements: Blue Foam IS 8lb Venus.
Reply #1 Feb 8, 2010 11:36 AM
Overstock recanted with this email:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I must inform you that my initial email stating that Overstock.com and costumers were being "seemingly misled" was entirely incorrect. I wrote that "I made my decision in haste" because I immediate took your side before checking my facts; I falsely accused a company of misleading us. My previous email also had a mistake, only 5% of the items that were sent to our customers were found to be the incorrect density. The reason this error occurred was because the incorrect inventory was pulled at the time rather than a mislabeling or incorrect formula being used. David P. Customer Care, Overstock.com
Reply #2 Feb 8, 2010 12:14 PM
There is also someone selling Venus on ebay.  Their color is blue too.  I wonder if theirs is legit?
Reply #3 Feb 8, 2010 4:58 PM
They have not contacted me and I bought the Venus and the one I got is blue and I stated many times in this forum that I was disappointed in it because it does not feel any different than the Sensus which was much cheaper. 
My wife is using the Venus and she likes it okay but I still feel we got ripped off so if they contact me I will switch with them for the real stuff.
Reply #4 Feb 8, 2010 9:23 PM
jimsocal wrote:
They have not contacted me and I bought the Venus and the one I got is blue and I stated many times in this forum that I was disappointed in it because it does not feel any different than the Sensus which was much cheaper. 
My wife is using the Venus and she likes it okay but I still feel we got ripped off so if they contact me I will switch with them for the real stuff.

Like I said, I'm going to purchase some and figure out the density myself. Until then, I can't say anything. I was under the STRONG impression that Venus foam was red and 4lb Aerus foam was blue. I even contacted Foamex and they confirmed this. I don't know what (if anything) is going awry or why, but I'm going to find out. Until then, patience. And Jim, my only advice to you is to "do the math" and figure out your foam's density. I have nothing more to add.
This message was modified Feb 8, 2010 by Pete
Reply #5 Feb 8, 2010 10:02 PM
I still got the some weird, gray foam instead of white memory foam. The so-called Simmons mattress pad, not even close. I took my foam to a scale, it didn't weigh what it was suppose to. I used to like Overstock and if it wasn't for this site I wouldn't have been paying such close attention.

Thanks, Alice 

Reply #6 Feb 8, 2010 10:10 PM
What did you weigh?
This message was modified Feb 8, 2010 by Pete
Overstoc
Reply #7 Feb 19, 2010 12:31 AM
Well
Re: Overstock
Reply #8 Feb 19, 2010 12:35 AM
Well.
Reply #9 Feb 19, 2010 12:45 AM
Pete.....thanks for following up on this. We all need to keep others informed. Bob
Reply #10 Feb 19, 2010 12:54 AM
I'm
Re: Overstock is full of it.
Reply #11 Feb 19, 2010 3:10 AM
Let 'em roll. Glad you have the energy to fight them on it!
Best of luck!
I hope you're throwing the words "class action suit" around liberally!
Reply #12 Feb 19, 2010 3:28 PM
My
Reply #13 Feb 19, 2010 3:36 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but is that like Dr. Quincy?

My complaint with O-stock is not saying what ILD their latex is; big pet peeve.  Though it was my fault to order it anyway due to limited funds.
This message was modified Feb 19, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #14 Feb 19, 2010 4:51 PM
No, more like CSI, only in real time.
Reply #15 Feb 22, 2010 12:11 PM
After
Reply #16 Feb 28, 2010 10:13 PM
Waiting to see what happens with this before I order this foam?

Alice

Reply #17 Mar 1, 2010 12:27 AM
Pete wrote:
After days of "resourceful surreptitiousness" (techniques I learned as a forensic pathologist) I got overstock CEO's Patrick M. Byrne's home phone #, home addresses and personal email addresses (No, I'm not giving them out to anyone or telling you how I got them.) I left a detailed message about what was going on. I also sent all recorded phone calls with overstock reps. blatantly misrepresenting a product to his email. Then, I mailed the misrepresented product directly to his home, complete with inaccurate shipping weight labels, accompanied by a "letter of assurance", from overstock, that the product was the correct density. I've yet to receive a response. The next call he gets will be from my lawyer.

I hope you didn't make a mistake by sending him the actual foam. Isn't that your best evidence, exhibit A so to speak?
Anyway, I'm sure curious to see what he does or says.
If he's smart he'll just turn it over to HIS attorney...
Reply #18 Mar 1, 2010 11:00 AM
I thought you only had to send a pic? That's what I did, they gave me my $ back and I got to keep the foam!

Alice

Reply #19 Mar 1, 2010 3:12 PM
fantasticalice wrote:
I thought you only had to send a pic? That's what I did, they gave me my $ back and I got to keep the foam!

Alice

What was wrong with your foam?  Is is the venus foam?  You generally do not get to keep anything if you take a picture, you might get a small discount, but you return it for a FULL refund.

Unless things have changed in the land of Overstock.
Reply #20 Mar 1, 2010 6:53 PM
So I've tried to copy and paste my e-mails to no avail. There seem to be a lot of things i can't do on here. Yes, both Costco and Overstock told me to keep the foam. I bought a bed from Sleep Innovations, a knock-off sleep #.  Go figure. sure wish O would of waited for the e-mail that told me to keep all the foam and a really nice cover with wool inside. Oh well, you win so and some you don't. At least with Costco I get to return it, 100%. They have a really nice adjustable queen foam (1499.00) this time around. It's always fun to see what Costco offers next. Does anyone know how they chose what they offer? 

Alice

If you know how to get the e-mails on here, let me know.

Reply #21 Mar 1, 2010 7:21 PM
fantasticalice wrote:
So I've tried to copy and paste my e-mails to no avail. There seem to be a lot of things i can't do on here. Yes, both Costco and Overstock told me to keep the foam. I bought a bed from Sleep Innovations, a knock-off sleep #.  Go figure. sure wish O would of waited for the e-mail that told me to keep all the foam and a really nice cover with wool inside. Oh well, you win so and some you don't. At least with Costco I get to return it, 100%. They have a really nice adjustable queen foam (1499.00) this time around. It's always fun to see what Costco offers next. Does anyone know how they chose what they offer? 

Alice

If you know how to get the e-mails on here, let me know.

I believe it is control V?  I just keep clicking things til it works.  Control C copy, Control V pastes, when you try to copy the way it won't work I get a screen telling me what control letters to use.    In others words, I use Firefox, so I use right click on my mouse, I really can't remember, just keep clicking away.......
Reply #22 Mar 1, 2010 9:40 PM
I have been, for the 2 inch latex covered toppers from Costco  , clicking, that is!

Alice

Reply #23 Mar 2, 2010 10:03 AM
Hello!  I just joined the forum to chime in on this topic.  Having purchased the blue "Venus" foam topper for Overstock almost a year ago, I tater became suspicious of its authenticity due to discrepancies in weight and color of the foamex brand.  Whether or not Overstock is complicit in the "scam," is up in the air.  When I contacted them about this a few weeks ago, they immediately refunded my credit card in full and instructed me to keep the topper.  They did not, however, confirm whether or not the product is legit.

Anyway, I ordered the "real" Venus topper from Sleepwarehouse.com last Friday.  The company sent me the following reply in regard:

"Thank you for order.  Unfortunately at this time Foamex is not pouring any of the Venus memory foam.  The demand for this product has decreased.  Due to this limited volume, Foamex has discontinued the Venus product months ago.

The Sensus 5lb is the most popular topper in the memory foam line.  In most cases we have found the 5lb to be superior over the 8lb Venus, due to the Venus being so slow reacting."

Sincerely,

SleepWarehouse Customer Support"

Guess that clears some of the confusion pertaining to the overstock item.  It is not 8lb foam.  Rather it's the Aerus 4lb topper.  For Overstock to suddenly cover-up its mistake is a big no-no.

I wonder, though, about the claim from SleepWarehouse.com in finding that the 5lb is superior to the 8lb Venus topper.  That would be be a real disappointment considering the heavy price premium for the Venus.

Unfortunately, there are no other vendors online that have the authentic Venus memory foam in stock.  There aren't even any reviews on it to be found.

Cradelsoft makes an 8-lb topper but its only sold in a 2" queen or king size with a starting price of $575.00!

If any real Venus users are out there, your feedback is needed!

Reply #24 Mar 2, 2010 11:29 AM
I suggest everyone to weigh their toppers. A king sized, 1" thick foam of 8lb density should be ~29lbs. If it's exactly half that, you've got 4lb Aerus. If it's severely underweight, call overstock and demand to speak to a supervisor. WEIGH YOUR FOAM ACCURATELY!!!!
Reply #25 Mar 2, 2010 11:46 AM
I
Reply #26 Mar 2, 2010 11:57 AM
Pete wrote:
I suggest everyone to weigh their toppers. A king sized, 1" thick foam of 8lb density should be ~29lbs. If it's exactly half that, you've got 4lb Aerus. If it's severely underweight, call overstock and demand to speak to a supervisor. WEIGH YOUR FOAM ACCURATELY!!!!

WEIGH YOUR FOAM!
This message was modified Mar 2, 2010 by Pete
Reply #27 Mar 2, 2010 12:10 PM
Congratulations Pete.  Have they vowed to stop selling the faulty Venus?   Have you ever tested their Sensus to see if it is legitimate?
Reply #28 Mar 2, 2010 6:00 PM
Reply #29 Mar 2, 2010 6:03 PM
Reply #30 Mar 2, 2010 10:49 PM
It's
Reply #31 Mar 2, 2010 11:02 PM
The
Reply #32 Mar 2, 2010 11:22 PM
Pete wrote:
They paid me several thousand dollars and a "sincere" apology for the "mix-up". It seems hasty and out of proportion. There's something very, very strange going on, here. They couldn't have acted so quickly, unless the executives at overstock had prior knowledge of malfeasance. I wonder if someone very high in the chain of command at overstock, took a calculated risk made a shady deal, and is knowingly misleading consumers. They think they've heard the last from me; they are wrong.

This sounds very fishy on all counts...
If they paid you to shut up, you are violating your agreement, it would seem...
And it seems odd that they'd pay you out of the CEO's PERSONAL account??!! That's just KRAZY!
Reply #33 Mar 2, 2010 11:33 PM
[hi all, i deleted my post bc it's probably not productive..]
This message was modified Mar 5, 2010 by cityskies
Reply #34 Mar 3, 2010 2:07 AM
jimsocal wrote:
This sounds very fishy on all counts...
If they paid you to shut up, you are violating your agreement, it would seem...
And it seems odd that they'd pay you out of the CEO's PERSONAL acco
Reply #35 Mar 3, 2010 2:14 AM
I t
Reply #36 Mar 3, 2010 10:21 AM
Most of what I've bought on Overstock was NOT what they claimed and I will never read another review and buy something because some people are way off base!

Shame on Overstock!!

Alice 

Reply #37 Mar 3, 2010 10:33 AM
I too, shall be getting a hefty refund, thanks Pete!

Alice

Some recourse for all the foam I've bought and am not using. I plan to make high-end dog beds and sell them at Farmers Market.

Reply #38 Mar 3, 2010 2:12 PM
Gee, it looks like some corporate hit man may have "rubbed Pete out". (Look at all his previous posts.)

Reply #39 Mar 3, 2010 9:37 PM
jimsocal wrote:
Gee, it looks like some corporate hit man may have "rubbed Pete out". (Look at all his previous posts.)

Jim: One of the reasons that I like participating in this forum is the fact that the moderators do a good job of moderating.
Reply #40 Mar 3, 2010 10:27 PM
Don't ask for any more details. My hands are legally tied. I'll be leaving the forum for good, now. So any pm's will go unanswered. My only mission here was to expose Venus-gate. That mission is complete. I no longer serve a function in this forum. Goodbye everyone; sleep well, be well. Pete
Reply #41 Mar 4, 2010 6:41 AM
eagle2 wrote:
Jim: One of the reasons that I like participating in this forum is the fact that the moderators do a good job of moderating.

I agree Eagle2, I was just making a joke,and I was not referring to the Mod(s) here but rather to the vendor.

But actually  it was my impression that Pete did his own editing to fulfill his promise to Overstock to "shut up" about Venus foam allegedly not being legitimately Venus foam. If you look at the posts it shows that Pete edited each one yesterday. 

I find it interesting that Overstock is still selling "Venus" foam, though....(?)
Reply #42 Mar 4, 2010 1:37 PM
Jim said: "I agree Eagle2, I was just making a joke,and I was not referring to the Mod(s) here but rather to the vendor."

Yes, I understood that Jim. It seems to me, compared to other boards that I have participated in, that the moderators here do an above average job.
Reply #43 Mar 5, 2010 3:12 AM
eagle2 wrote:
Jim said: "I agree Eagle2, I was just making a joke,and I was not referring to the Mod(s) here but rather to the vendor."

Yes, I understood that Jim. It seems to me, compared to other boards that I have participated in, that the moderators here do an above average job.

Yeah, and the people here are MUCH less feisty than on other forums. You'd think people who aren't getting good sleep would be more irritable and nasty!
But the great majority of people here are very nice. Almost every other forum I've been on has a lot of fighting and negativity.
The mods and the members do a good job here!
Reply #44 Jun 17, 2010 7:41 PM
Ouch
FYI, O! is still selling the "bogus" Venus, many months after the original thread and issue was brought to their attention.

Has anybody purchased the Sensus toppers from them? And, if so, did they appear genuine? I'm thinking of purchasing the 1" Sensus topper myself.

Reply #45 Jun 17, 2010 9:42 PM
I am also interested in feedback on Overstock Sensus.  I have owned real Sensus in the past and it is an outstanding product.  If the Overstock is real, I would like to get an inch for myself.  Previously I had 3" but that was too thick for me.  It should be pink and VERY heavy if it is real.
Reply #46 Jun 18, 2010 1:15 AM
I have 1" of the Sensus from overstock.  It is the only Sensus I have tried, so I have no frame of reference to tell is the real thing or not.   I did measure and weigh it once, and I believe it was at least 5 lbs. density.  It is pink.  It does seem more dense and supportive than the blue type of "cooler" foams they sell at overstock.

I have been happy with it, and use it below a 1" layer of latex.  My one complaint is that it probably does not breathe as well as the cooler foams, so it can potentially cause heat issues.  Using it like I do, under 1" of latex and a wool topper, the heat has not been a problem so far.

This is the best 1" memory foam I have been able to find, but there are not a lot of choices if you only want 1".

Reply #47 Jun 18, 2010 12:28 PM
Ouch
Thanks sandman. Did it have much of an odor when you first got it? And, if so, how long before it dissipated?
Reply #48 Jun 18, 2010 12:37 PM
garypen wrote:

Thanks sandman. Did it have much of an odor when you first got it? And, if so, how long before it dissipated?

I think it was kind of strong the first fes days.  I just let it sit out in another room 3-4 to let the odor dissipate.   After I put it under the latex and the wool topper and the mattress pad and the sheets, I did not really notice it much.  I can't remember it bothering me once it was tucked away in the mattress.

Reply #49 Jun 18, 2010 12:51 PM
Ouch
One other question: Was it full-cut to the full dimensions of the mattress size, or was it short-cut a few inches shorter? The measurements listed on O's website suggest they short-cut, which I don't care for.

Of course, I can choose a larger size for the same price. But, I would like to be able to get two full-cut Twin XL's from the single King. I may have to order the Cal King just to fit ONE Twin XL's 80" length.

Reply #50 Jun 18, 2010 1:02 PM
If anything I would say it is cut slightly too large.  I don't remember exact measurements though.  It was not a problem for me.
Reply #51 Jun 19, 2010 6:23 PM
Thank you for the feedback sandman.
This message was modified Jun 19, 2010 by MequonJim
Reply #52 Jun 19, 2010 8:53 PM
Ouch
Ditto, sandman.

BTW, I think I might roll the dice and take a chance with the so-called "Venus". After a little more research, it seems that it might be 8lb Aerus (a real product according to the Foamex website, as I mentioned in my Aerus thread), which could explain the blue color and the possible mix-up with 4lb Aerus by their supplier.

If I do take the gamble and try it, I'll definitely post my findings.

This message was modified Jun 19, 2010 by garypen

Recent Posts