OT - memory foam cushions
Jun 9, 2008 8:36 PM
This is a little off-topic, but there is a lot of discussion here about memory foam and latex cushioning and back pain, and I was wondering if anyone here has any recommendations for a good seat cushion?

I see that TempurPedic makes a memory foam seat cushion, but at $80 that might be overpriced.  Anyone have one, and if so, do you recommend it? Any other ideas?

Philly888

Re: OT - memory foam cushions
Reply #1 Jun 9, 2008 8:55 PM
Philly888 wrote:
any recommendations for a good seat cushion?

Gel . . around $20 at Wal-Mart automotive department.

This message was modified Jun 9, 2008 by sager66
Reply #2 Jun 22, 2008 10:35 AM
sager66 wrote:
Gel . . around $20 at Wal-Mart automotive department.

Thanks, sager66, for the tip and the pics. $20 sounds like a bargain. I paid $40 for the cushion I'm using now, and the Tempurpedics are $80. A friend of mine is also interested in this topic. We've looked at "stadium cushions" (the kind you take to a game) and even wheelchair cushions. I've also considered just buying the foam to fill a zippered cover. Regular chair cushions are just thin pads that are not very comfortable, and that's what one mostly sees. Also, they tend to be on the small side. I use standard chair cushions on kitchen and dining room chairs, but for desk chairs and armchairs one needs something bigger and thicker and more resilient.

Philly888

This message was modified Jun 22, 2008 by Philly888
Reply #3 Jun 22, 2008 2:42 PM
Try a fabric/upholstery shop that sells polyurethane foam.  I have had to remake several chairs with medium density foam, they will cut it for you if you bring a old cushion or pattern.  I wouldn't think memory foam would hold up to sitting on, I tried one before and it didn't work for me.
Reply #4 Jun 25, 2008 5:40 PM
Just thought I would mention I added 2" of my Brylane latex topper to the middle of 2 polyurethane foam pieces (2" on top, and 3" on bottom) and oh my gosh is this cushion comfy now!  I did that a few days ago, and no more hip pain.  I did sew my own cover for the pad and it is very good now.  The cushion this chair had before was super hard and caused terrible hip pain.
This message was modified Jun 25, 2008 by Leo3

Recent Posts