New Tempurpedic bed making me sweat :(
Jun 23, 2010 7:24 AM
A few weeks ago we picked up our new Tempur. Wife sleeps well in it but I constantly am waking up because I'm sweating. I really enjoy the feel of these beds, but I'm wondering if its the mattress protector that is making things worse.

I know this is an issue with these beds, so I'm looking to see what I can do to try and make it cooler.....aside from returning it.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: New Tempurpedic bed making me sweat :(
Reply #7 Jun 26, 2010 4:35 PM
fishstick wrote:

All which one would be the best out of this list: http://www.naturaworld.com/catalog/bedding/protectors

You want wool in it, so the fitted wool or washable wool would be good choices.  The organic wool would be okay as well, but more expensive (and possibly less wool).  I think I would avoid any that say waterproof unless you really need that, because I doubt they would breathe as well.

I have the washable wool filled one, because I want to be able to wash it.  The St. Dormier Budgy recommended also has wool, and might have a softer feel.

Reply #8 Jun 26, 2010 8:30 PM
Memory foam IS hot in itself.  It does not breathe, it does not have the same type of foam air cells that other foams do.  It seems to pull heat from its surroundings and melt itself softer.  Some newer memory foams are less like this, but it is the nature of the foam.

Hope you find an answer....

Kait

Reply #9 Jun 27, 2010 3:01 PM
Thanks all....should I go with the Natura or the St. Dormier?

I'll keep you posted.

This message was modified Jun 27, 2010 by fishstick
Reply #10 Jun 27, 2010 3:41 PM
St. Dormeir gets my resounding "Yea" vote.
Reply #11 Jun 27, 2010 5:51 PM
fishstick wrote:

Hey Budgy - what kind of sheets would be best to work with one of these beds? Silk? Cotton? etc.

sorry I didn't reply earlier...I was at an outdoor venue sleeping almost directly on the ground for the last few days.

For tempurature cotton is pretty neutral...very breathable.  Silk will FEEL cool to the touch when you climb into bed but if it is woven to be durable it will not be very breathable.  So between the two, I would say its a toss up...but I think most people find silk hot once it warms up.

For temperature regulation and the most cool/refreshing sleep possible linen sheets (from flax) are by far the best...it is almost as conductive as silk so it feels nice and cool to the touch, it does not produce static electricity, they are lint free, they last a LONG time (and get better with age as opposed to deteriorating like other sheets), and best of all even more breathable than cotton.  Price wise it will actually be somewhere in between very high quality cotton or silk sheets.

Reply #12 Jun 27, 2010 7:27 PM
budgy wrote:

sorry I didn't reply earlier...I was at an outdoor venue sleeping almost directly on the ground for the last few days.

For tempurature cotton is pretty neutral...very breathable.  Silk will FEEL cool to the touch when you climb into bed but if it is woven to be durable it will not be very breathable.  So between the two, I would say its a toss up...but I think most people find silk hot once it warms up.

For temperature regulation and the most cool/refreshing sleep possible linen sheets (from flax) are by far the best...it is almost as conductive as silk so it feels nice and cool to the touch, it does not produce static electricity, they are lint free, they last a LONG time (and get better with age as opposed to deteriorating like other sheets), and best of all even more breathable than cotton.  Price wise it will actually be somewhere in between very high quality cotton or silk sheets.

Thanks budgy, Do you think the St. Dormier is the cover to go with as well?

Reply #13 Jun 28, 2010 12:48 AM
absolutely
Reply #14 Oct 11, 2010 11:45 AM
Well after a couple months with the Tempur we are going to sell itsad. Even with the Dormeir mattress protector and the new sheets I am finding the mattress just doesn't breath enough and it in turn is making me sweat too much in bed.

If we can't sell it I may look at buying a latex topper to help cool things down. Do you think that would help at all?

Reply #15 Oct 11, 2010 12:35 PM
Memory foam uses (and to some degree holds) the body's heat along with pressure to "activate" it's body conforming properties. It also is much less open celled (breathable) than latex so for many people (including me) it sleeps hot. You will also sink into the foam more when it softens with heat so that too can aggravate heat issues. Some of the newer generation memory foams (Aerus etc) are more breathable and a little less heat sensitive than the regular memory foams but it seems some people still have heat issues with them. A latex topper is much more breathable than memory foam so in theory will alleviate the heat issue, at least to some degree, but it will also change the feel of the mattress since your body heat will not be as close to the memory foam which will then not be able to soften with the heat nearly as much. You may want to see how sandman does with his experiment first as his post today seemed directly connected with yours. When he took off one of his two wool layers he also had heat issues and started sinking into his memory foam more which he didn't like. If you don't mind not sinking in as far, maybe a wool topper over your dormeir would do the trick for you as well regarding heat.

Phoenix

Reply #16 Oct 11, 2010 12:40 PM
I use a wool topper and a wool filled mattress pad.  That seems to feel cooler to me than just using the wool filled mattress alone over memory foam.  Adding the topper will probably make it firmer though. 

Latex also makes some people warm and will affect the feel as well.  Should be cooler than some memory foams, because when I put latex above my Sensus MF it does seem a little cooler than when the Sensus is closer to the top of my mattress.

So, hard to say which would be better.

I think the added wool aborbs the moisture and makes it feel cooler.   Not sure how much it actually affects the temperature.  Kind of like dry heat does not feel as hot as humid heat.   Maybe it helps disperse the heat as well.  Not totally sure.  I was skeptical at first, but my experience is that I don't seem to be bothered as much by heat when I use more wool as opposed to less. 

Recent Posts