New s&f lineup vs. Tempurpedic cloud
May 25, 2010 10:43 PM
So my girlfriend and I are in the market for a new mattress. Neither of us are experienced with either of these companies, and money isn't a huge factor. We're looking at these two different brands and are unsure of which is the better choice for comfort and longevity. I fall asleep on my side and wake up on my back. I have lots of lower back issues. She sleeps mostly on her side and suffers from migraines and neck/upper back pain as well as minor lower back pain. We're both young. I'm about 6'0 tall 240lbs. And she's about 5'4 and 190lbs. What are the pros/cons of each and which would be the best value in terms of comfort, quality, and support?

We know the new tempur cloud is soft and supportive and comes with a 20 year warranty, and we know that the new stearns have individually pocketed coils to reduce motion transfer as well as memory foam on the top. The stearns is the luxury plush cushion pillow top.

Thanks for any and all help.
Re: New s&f lineup vs. Tempurpedic cloud
Reply #3 May 26, 2010 1:39 PM
I really don't want to come here to bash product....I will just say that it is overrated.  This coming from somone who actually sells the brand and is currently looking for a true higher end replacement for it. 

If you do a Cloud bed then really a Cloud Supreme would be the best choice.

Reply #4 May 26, 2010 1:46 PM
are you saying the stearns is overrated, or the tempur?

I would also value others' opinions as well. It'll be a week or so before i make my purchase.

Thanks
Reply #5 May 26, 2010 1:49 PM
The Stearns for sure. 

A lot of people think Tempur may be overrated but it is atleast a unique product. 

A Stearns is made on the same production line as any other Sealy mattress, it is constructed the same way using essentially the exact same quality of materials....nicer looking fabrics and a different name is what you are really paying for.  Granted they are also using different springs in some cases, although the relevancy of this with 5+ inches of foam over the coils is highly debatable. 

Reply #6 May 27, 2010 12:16 AM
Ouch
S&F seems to be riding their reputation as an ultra-premium mattress brand, which apparently was an accurate description before they were purchased by Sealy some 20-odd years ago.

In my recent mattress research, though, I've found them to be one of the most poorly reviewed brands by users across the web.

OTOH, the Cloud and Cloud Supreme are the worst-reviewed of any of the TP models I've researched. The Cloud line of matts are their softest, which may be why they don't seem to give enough support for people with back probs. So, you may wanna look into their standard line - the Deluxe generally gets great reviews, or their HD line - Rhapsody also gets great reviews.

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of our Bellafina, which uses a combination of memory foam and latex. If your local TP dealer has one, you may wanna give it a lie-down.

Reply #7 May 27, 2010 4:33 PM
So we went to our local mattress shop and tested out the Deluxe model TP and OMG. I can't believe we didn't try this one before. She fell in love with it immediately. It took me about a minute to feel the amazing support and comfort on that thing, and it wasn't rock hard like a few of the others we looked at. If this mattress has good reviews, this is probably the way we'll go.
Reply #8 Jul 19, 2010 2:52 PM
I know it's been a while since I've posted, but my girlfriend and I just wanted to be absolutely sure we chose the right mattress so after much testing and research we decided to go with..................................The Rhapsody!

It was such a long and arduous task picking out this bed. It's just this is going to be the first brand new mattress either one of us has ever had and we wanted something that was going to provide us the most comfort and support for at least ten years. We went back and forth between this and the Deluxe mostly. Even though, I initially didn't like the fell of the Rhapsody, it started to grow on me as I realized my lower back felt more supported on it vs. the Deluxe, while sacrificing a hint of softness. I'm currently awaiting its arrival, which should be in the next week or two, and will post a first-impressions/unboxing and then after some time a follow-up and final review.

The good thing about all this is in the past month and a half - 2 months I've learned just about everything about every single model of TP there is, as well as other big name brand mattress companies that I could probably help others by providing information I've gathered mattress shopping.

I enjoy reading everyone else's posts and learning and reading on here a lot, and will be happy to provide any input I can from here on out.

Thank you so much everyone for putting this information on here for me and others to learn from.

Reply #9 Jul 26, 2010 2:12 PM
My computer stopped working, so until I can get it fixed I'll be posting from my phone. I got my rhapsody yesterday. It had only a slight odor, but it wasn't unpleasant. Kind of a new bed smell I guess you could say. It definitely didn't stop me from sleeping in it last night. Brand new it's only slightly firmer than the floor model we tested and still conformed to the contours of our bodies just fine. It actually took a while for me to fall asleep last night because I could feel my back being straightened and aligned, and I'm not used to that. Throughout the night I kept tossing and turning. This bed is definitely going to take some getting used to. Even though I tossed and turned in my old mattress, I no longer have pain in my upper back, and I definitely feel less tired after sleeping in the tempurpedic. I also did not find myself sleeping hot. For my first impression, I have a feeling that once I get used to the unique feeling this mattress offers, I will probably really enjoy going to bed at night again and recommend this bed to others. I'll follow up here in about a week.
Reply #10 Aug 6, 2010 2:04 PM
Sorry. I know it's been almost two weeks since my initial impression. I've been really busy lately with work. I still love the bed. It doesn't feel like it's softened up much since we got it, but it's probably so subtle we don't even notice it. Some new things, though: I've been waking up feeling more rested and seem to have more energy and less pain throughout the day. My back has definitely loosened up quite a bit. After exercise, my muscles seem to heal faster than before.

My body is definitely getting used to this bed. It's weird actually looking forward to laying down at night. Oh, and the best part is when you wake up in the morning. Because you've been laying in one position for so long, the foam has completely conformed to every single inch of your body and it feels so comfortable to lay there. :)
Reply #11 Aug 6, 2010 2:48 PM
Seems pretty positive so far, glad to hear you are sleeping better and feeling better :)
Reply #12 Oct 16, 2010 7:39 AM
Hey everyone, just popped back in to let everyone know I am now longer popping my back in the morning any longer :) The mattress is still doing wonders for mine and my girlfriend's sleep at night. It has softened up ever so slightly, and I believe this is the sweet spot that the mattress will stay for the majority of its life. We're extremely happy, and if we had to do it over again, we would make the same choice.

Recent Posts