New Mattress without Odor
Sep 19, 2013 2:59 PM
Are there any mattress manufacturers that make mattresses without an initial or long-term scent? 

I've purchased many new traditional mattresses (Sealy, etc) that have a strong initial chemical smell.  I've also purchased a 100% natural latex bed that has a strong latex smell.  I'm very sensitive to smell so I'm looking for a mattress that doesn't have any smell.  Does something like this exist?  Do the common manufacturers make mattresses that have offgassed before delivery?

Thanks in advance

Ben

This message was modified Sep 19, 2013 by PsuBen
Re: New Mattress without Odor
Reply #1 Sep 21, 2013 10:25 AM
All new mattresses will have some smell. I think people by default think it is bad for them. So to answer your question NO aything new will have some sort of smell. Even an organic innerspring made with only organic wool and organic cotton still has a smell of wool for a bit. I deal with people daily who have the same high sensitivity to odors and my advice is first chose something that the smell is not bad for you. Latex (all natural) is a great choice. If you need to air it out a few days any scent should go away.

Reply #2 Oct 9, 2013 9:33 AM
See my post above about off-gassing, and don't let the VOCs bite!
Reply #3 Oct 17, 2013 12:55 PM
What about getting an air cleaner with a HEPA filter? They should trap anything at the micron level, including odor particles, so my guess is that a smell would clear much faster. I purchased a high-end $200 air cleaner that I have been very happy with but I don't have a new mattress yet so I'm not sure from firsthand experience what would happen to a smell.

Recent Posts