Nervous about new mattress purchase...Any input on Original Mattress Factory mattresses?
Jun 7, 2009 9:16 PM
After having bought and rejected two mattresses in a two-month period (one was memory foam, the other, an iCoil innerspring), I think I've finally found my perfect mattress...with reservations. Here is my bittersweet tale: I visited the Original Mattress Factory with every intention of purchasing a low-end offset coil model with very little padding so that I could have the option of using toppers to create a customizable and easily replaceable comfort layer. I was torn between the Regency and the Orthopedic Extra Firm. While weighing the relative advantages and disadvantages of each, I walked around the showroom, flopping down indiscriminately on one mattress, then another (all I can say is <i>thank god</i> the Orthopedic Euro Top was out of my price range, because it is seriously like being enveloped in the most comfortably supportive substance on earth...and all that super soft padding is just one big body depression nightmare waiting to happen, I'm sure), and then I flopped down on the Orthopedic Ultra Plush. What a dream! It felt like floating on a cloud...a cloud that promises not to cause back pain. Thick cotton batting topped with three layers of varying densities and constructions of poly foam (4" total foam) topped with a pillowy damask cover, over 12.75 gauge knotted offset coils (6 turns). I swear it was made just for me, or at least that's my (admittedly weak) justification for ditching my well-reasoned plan to purchase a model with little foam.

Am I going to regret this? I even prefer the Ultra Plush to the two latex models they have (which is really saying something since both latex mattresses were heavenly in their own way). Does anyone own a mid-range (in-between the basic and pillowtop) OMF mattress that's a couple of years old or older? Do they hold up well? They seem to have a reputation for producing durable, high-quality mattresses, but I still can't shake the fear that 4" of poly foam will break down in no time flat.

My mattress arrives Wednesday.
This message was modified Jun 7, 2009 by Zzzzzzzspleaze

Recent Posts