Need Mattress - No Latex Please
Aug 2, 2008 7:15 AM
I need some help in finding king size mattress for wife and I. Some basics

- Wife has confirmed latex allergy
- We are both big/tall folks. I am 6'3 260lbs
- Some lower back (me) and joint problems (her), not really major, but we do get treatment now and then.
- Budget could be up to $3000
Re: Need Mattress - No Latex Please
Reply #1 Aug 2, 2008 1:05 PM
Appears you have NOT taken the initiative to thoroughly research previous forum contributions . . only YOU can determine which configuration of mattress components are suitable for your personal comfort preferences.  Even if someone suggested a specific model, the objective of the industry "name game" nonsense is to prevent "apples to apples" comparisons . . and different materials may be used in different plants and productions runs.  Mattress selection is almost always a "trial and error" process!
Reply #2 Aug 2, 2008 2:52 PM
Depends on what your definition of "thorough". I spent about 30 mins on this site before asking a question. I suppose I could have spent hours. It was very confusing. Numerous references to latex, also discussions about deconstructing and rebuilding mattresses, don't buy any "S" mattress, multiple topper types, cuddle beds, flobeds. I am sorry I posted, I will move on elsewhere.
Reply #3 Aug 2, 2008 9:14 PM
Please ignore and forgive Sager...he says that to a lot of posters with honest questions. I researched this site dozens of hours before I ever posted and after one of my posts, he wrote a similar rude comment to me as well.

I can tell you my story... After sleeping on a rock hard mattress for 20 years that started to produce bursitis and back pain, I eventually settled on a Sealy brand all latex mattress that I thought would be perfect. After a few weeks I still had to put a topper on it for comfort. I would recommend you both go to several different mattress stores together and both (at the same time) lie on a variety of mattresses. Try to find out what feels comfortable for you both. But the sad truth is, you cannot really tell about a mattress until after you sleep on it for awhile and your body adjusts.

In general, I personally would stay away from pillowtops and eurotops because they tend to settle and create the deepest body impressions. I'd recommend going with a "tight top" that is either labled plush or ultra plush to help with joint pain/pressure points. BUT, you still want to get the firmest bed you are both comfortable on for support of your lower back.  If you purchase it and after two weeks find it is too firm, you can purchase a nice topper for it from a site like Foam by Mail or Sleep Like a Bear on the internet. They are generally superior to the retail stores although Costco and the nicer department stores are carrying some good choices too. You can also add a feather topper but they require a lot of fluffing. You can make a bed softer, but you cannot make it firmer.

As far as coils go, it is best to get a mattress with tempered (vs. non-tempered) coils for longevity that have one turn per inch of coil. Beyond that, different people prefer different kinds of coils.

Once you get your mattress, if it is softer than your previous one and you wake up with neck or shoulder pain that is new, consider changing your pillow and getting one with less loft. It can make all the difference. I had to experiment with about 7 pillows before I found one that was just right for me. (Wouldn't you know I have a husband who can sleep on any surface with any pillow and be fine?) 

The frame should have a middle foot support if the mattress is queen or king or it will eventually sag.

You may want to determine if your wife's allergy is still triggered when a mattress has latex as a layer under a totally enclosed cover like the S brands are doing now. There are lots of comfy mattresses that have both coils and latex or memory foam which seem to some of us who read this forum to be the best of both worlds for comfort and support.

A lot of folks like tempurpedic/memory foam type beds and an equal number (or more) do not. Unless you get one with a special barrier (like "Outlast" or some other brand name), they will sleep hot. There are many brands of this type foam. I ruled them out for me after lying on a few and reading complaints. It is common to hear reports that once you get comfortable on them, you sink to where it's hard to turn over. But some people say it is the only mattress they will ever sleep on...my best friend swears by hers and has had it about 7 years. Beware that there are many people who have chemical sensitivities to them as well.

There are several blogs on the web about mattresses from mattress sales people. The most informative and helpful one to me was http://blog.pennlive.com/mattress. He's a Sealy/Stearns and Foster seller but he gives educated advice in an attempt to help those who write him whether they buy from him or not. You can read other's questions and learn from their answers and send in your own as well. He won't be rude either!

Choosing a mattress is such a hard decision and so very complicated. I hope this helps a little and you choose the perfect mattress for you both the first time. I must have tried out over 50 mattresses on 5-6 occassions before I choose the Sealy and it still didn't sleep like I thought it would. Be sure and determine your store's return policy including a restocking fee and any price differences if you return your mattress. They will generally not refund any money if you trade down and charge the difference if you trade up. Review their written policies before you buy from them. Some stores do one-two comfort exchanges; others do not.

After a mattress develops body impressions (and most do), they have to be OVER 11/2 inches deep to warrent a trade-in as measured by a "mattress inspector" who comes to your home with a ruler. The indentions have to 11/2 inches as measured without anyone lying on to of the mattress. You know that means they have to be far deeper when you are trying to sleep and creating  discomfort night after night. This is probably the greatest complaint of consumers I've read about. That is why you should not believe the most expensive mattress is the best since they are generally the most padded and the first to develop impressions. Go with the least padded mattress (unless it is latex which does not compress or polyurethane topper type foam which takes a few years to compress)  that meets all the above criteria and seems most comfortable for you both. Then add various toppers or trade up if nothing works.

Take your time and become familiar with the different brands and choices. There are many mattress sellers on the web that may interest you but most you can't try out first. It would also help to do as much reading on the web as possible to educate yourself as you go along. Several sites have ratings from users which I found helpful. If you've chosen a mattress, google it and write "reviews" after it. See what others are saying before you take the plunge.

There are many folks who post here who know a lot more about mattresses than I ever will. And lots of people here may disagree with my thoughts but this is just my attempt to share the little I learned through my journey to a new mattress and now a wonderful night's sleep.

I hope this helps a little and encourages you. And prayer never hurts any endeavor!

Sabra

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by Sabra
Reply #4 Aug 3, 2008 1:12 AM
sager66 wrote:
Appears you have NOT taken the initiative to thoroughly research previous forum contributions . . only YOU can determine which configuration of mattress components are suitable for your personal comfort preferences.  Even if someone suggested a specific model, the objective of the industry "name game" nonsense is to prevent "apples to apples" comparisons . . and different materials may be used in different plants and productions runs.  Mattress selection is almost always a "trial and error" process!

Lighten up Francis. It's a mattress forum. No need to be rude.

Recent Posts