My new Foam by Mail mattress
Dec 30, 2007 4:41 PM
We received our new mattress last week.  There's a 6" firm core, a 1" medium layer, and a 1" soft layer.  We have the mattress right on the floor because that's what we've done ever since we had our baby cosleep with us (she's now 4).  We got the terry cover for $20 extra, and it's actually a velour fabric, not a towel-like terry, so it's very soft.  I like the mattress so far, but I wonder if it would feel better on an Ikea bed with slats.  It seems maybe too soft, so another possibility is to remove the top soft layer and leave it at that, or replace the top soft layer with a medium layer.  It doesn't bother me, really, but I think I'd like it better if it were a bit firmer.  Right now I'm very pregnant with twins,  so maybe I shouldn't make any decisions at my current weight.  Normally I'm about 140 pounds, 5'5" and a side sleeper.  My husband really doesn't like the mattress, though.  He's 5'10", 165 pounds, and thinks it's too soft.  I'm hypothesizing that a big contributer to the back pain he experienced the one night he slept on it is the old reflux wedge that he lays on his side of the bed.  It's made of a cheap-o foam that is super soft, and when we slept on our normal spring mattress it was fine, but on top of this softer mattress I think it makes his sleep surface way too soft.  So I've ordered a new wedge that is described as firm to see if it will help, but if not, will putting the bed on a frame make it firmer? 

Oh, here is a strange thing to watch for from FBM.  Before they shipped my mattress they called to ask if I wanted the layers glued together.  I said no because I didn't know what kind of fumes might result from the glue,  but I wonder if their motive was to make it impossible to return the bed?

Janine

Re: My new Foam by Mail mattress
Reply #1 Dec 31, 2007 4:55 PM
I honestly don't believe FBM was trying to 'get over' on you.  I can see where some would like to have there layers glued together when buying a complete mattress.

I can't see where just 1" of soft would change the support significantly.  Have you had a chance to try it without? 

Reply #2 Dec 31, 2007 6:29 PM
I'm wondering if you aren't just going through an adjustment period. I have slept on all latex for several years now but I remember when we switched from our old  spring mattress to the new latex, the latex seemed very marshmallowy and super soft. After about 2 weeks though, we both loved it and now would not sleep on anything but all latex.
Reply #3 Dec 31, 2007 7:17 PM
If it feels too soft, try taking off the toppers.  If just the 6" core feels too soft, then you need a firmer bed.

Putting the bed on a frame will not make it feel firmer.  The floor is the firmest thing you can put a bed on.

Reply #4 Dec 31, 2007 11:11 PM
What I've learned about sensitive backs on soft mattresses, is that your lower back can twist easily if you don't raise your legs towards your chest. This somewhat fixes your sleeping position. If I do not do this, my back starts to twist, and cause discomfort. My hips will rotate in or out, and cause my spine to twist. Hard mattesses are less comfortable, though.
Reply #5 Dec 31, 2007 11:16 PM
By the way, you didn't mention if you are refering to latex top or memory foam???
Reply #6 Jan 1, 2008 12:11 PM
While it is possible to increase the firmness a bit with a slatted bed (actually only relatively speaking since do so by decreasing firmness of shoulder region), I believe that with a 6" core MequonJim is right. Core too soft. This is a common latex problem for side sleepers since roughly 40% of body weight at hips, so they really sink into softer cores and shoulders/head floats. OTOH, if core too firm, then pressure points. Some may just be better off with a firm, underpadded coil mattress, and a separate latex topper to soften.

If you are committed to making latex work (durability, comfort, anti-allergen) you may want to try the masochists route and build a zoned mattress, starting with a topper. My 3"/36ILD Talatech has arrived but still haven't unpacked it and replaced the temporary 3" PU piece run latitudinally in hip region. The PU has worked well--absolutely no lower back pain for 2 weeks with present set-up (4" roughly 20 ILD for legs/shoulders and 1" 20 ILD over 3" guesstimated 33 ILD PU for roughly 3' hip region). It's not rocket science. IMO, this is how latex mattresses should me constructed. Being able to vary the sides is nice, but offering variable support for various regions more important. In fact, I would bet that a king mattress consisting of: 10 strips of 3" x 14" x 80" and 2 strips of 3" x 10" x 80" of 44,36,and 28 (allows offset of latitudinal cracks between layers) topped by 2" of kingsize 28 ILD would be comfortable for almost everyone wtithout a lot of shipping. The 14" by 80" could have split side ILDs with factory glue seams for even more flexibility. Just keep the hips and shoulders happy--the ILD of the lower leg core is not very important so the "extra" ends up there. Containing it all within a nonstretch bottom and sides, with a stretch top cover would probably be sufficient (maybe with 3" deep cross support baffles at knees and nipples (24" and 28" from head and toe) for lowest level), though could eventually be spray glued. Zoned mattresses along these lines are available, but the ones I've heard of are pre-glued.
Reply #7 Jan 1, 2008 8:39 PM
Correction:
The 80" dimensions should be 72" (the width of a kingsize mattress). Sorry for the confusion.
Reply #8 Jan 3, 2008 2:55 PM
Thanks for all of the tips. I just got out of the hospital for pre-term labor, so I couldn't reply sooner.  My body is trying to evict these babies a bit too early, but the hospital was able to stop the contractions.  I think we'll just stick with the floor since a bed frame wouldn't make much difference.  Oh, it's an all latex bed. i don't know why I forgot to mention that.  The bed is fine for me, I'll just have to see if my husband likes it better with his new, firmer wedge.  Or, have him take off the top soft topper.

Janine

Reply #9 Jan 3, 2008 7:17 PM
Best wishes Janine.
Reply #10 Feb 1, 2008 9:11 PM
FWIW, I sleep on 6" of firm latex from foambymail, on an ikea flexible slatted base.  It is softer than I expected.  It took me about a week or two to get used to, but now I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Recent Posts