Memory foam over latex.....my mattress keeps getting thicker!
Sep 20, 2010 3:22 PM
So here is my latest quest for the perfect mattress!   I think someone wiser than me on this forum once said that if you are 90% happy it's best to stop there and be thankful.  Too bad I don't listen.  I now am trying 1 inch of Sensus memory foam over my latex mattress.  The Sensus came from Overstock today and was in excellent condition....no complaints.  It measures just a bit over what they specify in their ad....about 58 X 79 for the Queen size.  It's a little smaller than my 3 inch top layer of latex but not enough to worry about.  It arrived in 10 days (which included 2 weekends).

I now have from bottom up:

8.5 inch encased Gardner Latex mattress ( 6 inch 40 ILD,  2.5 inch 32 ILD)

3 inch uncovered "medium" (24-28 ILD) natural talalay latex from FoamSweetFoam

1 inch Sensus 5 lb memory foam from Overstock

Washable wool and cotton mattress protector from Natura

The memory foam is to relieve a bit of the "push back" from the latex.  Will report the results in a day or two.

PS.  Have photos but don't know how to insert them directly into this message ???  (not a URL link)

Re: Memory foam over latex.....my mattress keeps getting thicker!
Reply #7 Sep 21, 2010 3:49 PM
It's hard to say if it's any warmer since last night was a cool night in New Hampshire....down to about 40° here I think.  At one point I thought it did feel a little warmer than the latex alone, but the wool pad is a good temp regulator.  Since summer is about over here, it shouldn't bother me much for a while...if ever.   I had a memory foam topper on my old spring mattress for several  years with  no real issues.
Reply #8 Sep 21, 2010 5:32 PM
Nice... I may have to try it.

I have a cuddlebed on the way from costco to see if that does anything for us. It's low risk as it's inexpensive and easy to return.

I keep almost ordering 1" of MF from overstock but waffle between the mem-cool and the sensus.

The mattress cover that came with our sleepez has stretched a bit also which has made the top surface a little less taut as well so things are looking good.

Reply #9 Sep 21, 2010 6:13 PM
oops.....sorry I got your name wrong GANDERSON.  Let me know how the cuddlebed seems to you.   I'm not sure what that is so I'll look it up on the Costco site later.  Will the cuddlebed or memory foam go on top of your sleepez mattress or can you stuff another layer inside?  As you can see in my photos, the layer of latex I added is uncovered except for another bottom sheet that I use to cover the uncovered layers before I put the wool mattress pad on top.  Unfortunately the wool/cotton cover of my original mattress is kind of wasted down below.
Reply #10 Sep 21, 2010 11:28 PM
The cuddle bed is a fiberbed type topper so it will go over the top of the mattress. I heard about it on this forum and they're on sale at costco right now.

The memory foam could fit inside my mattress cover but it might make the top too tight that way. I would probably try it on top under my pad/protector.

I am also feeling a slight pang of guilt putting stuff between me and my nice organic cotton & wool cover, but if it sleeps better... it sleeps better.

Reply #11 Sep 28, 2010 6:16 PM
So it's been a full week with the new memory foam topper and I can now say that I LOVE IT!  I still have the support and softness of my 11 inches of latex but now have the added pressure relief of 1 inch of Sensus memory foam.  I guess I'm one of those people who love the initial feel of latex but find it "pushes back" too much during a long night.  After adding just a thin layer of memory foam I slept 7.5 hours the last two nights without waking....unheard of for me lately!   Plus, no back twinges, no arm pain, nothing hurting or aching.  Sandman, I think I have reached at least 95% satisfaction...haha.

So, for those of you who just can't seem to get the layers of latex right, maybe it's time to think about adding some memory foam on top.  The investment of $69. from Overstock was certainly worth it for me.  If I need to replace it now and then, so be it.

ps.  The memory foam does seem a bit warmer but not all that much with the wool mattress pad.

Reply #12 Sep 28, 2010 6:22 PM
Great!  Happy to here it is working for you.  Hopefully you will be satisfied with 95%!
Reply #13 Oct 1, 2010 2:08 AM
Mark I hope it continues to be a winner for you.  I hate to sound negative cool but every time I thought after a week I had a great setup and comfy I found after I changed the sheets it changed everything again back to being uncomfortable.  If you pull the sheet to tight, or the mattress pad to tight.  Hopefully it will stay good.  It might be just a change after a week feels good, then not so much (for me it seems that way).
Reply #14 Oct 1, 2010 8:35 AM
Had a similar idea, to replace the 2" convolute with memory foam.  Is there such a thing as a "breathable" memory foam?  I'm a hot sleeper.
Reply #15 Oct 1, 2010 8:44 AM
Nice mattress pad.How does it compare to other wool pads?
Reply #16 Oct 1, 2010 11:09 AM
Luke, the Natura washable wool mattress pad is very nice but some say not quite as nice as the Dormeir washable wool pad.   The Natura has some heavy stitching lines that might bother some very sensitive types...not a problem for me.  Also, I believe the Dormeir pad has stretchy elastic type sides while the Natura is all cotton with an elastic band around the bottom edge. I think they both perform about the same as far as temperature control and moisture wicking.   I noticed a difference from the polyester pad I had been using.  I found the best price online at "The Clean Bedroom" web site.

Recent Posts