Mattresses for heavier people
Jun 23, 2010 9:53 AM
I am a bodybuilder and weigh 275 at 5'10" and have an issue with mattresses looking like tacos after having them for only a few years.  My current mattress I bought at Denver Matress about 7 years ago and have done the flip/rotation thing as they directed and it's taco'd out already.  Can anyone recommend a good mattress that will give good support as the taco'd bed thing has wreaked havoc on my lower back and won't break down/taco due to my bodyweight?  I had considered a memory foam mattress but I've read several reviews that those break down over time as well.  Thanks everyone!
Re: Mattresses for heavier people
Reply #1 Jun 23, 2010 3:38 PM
Other than your most high end/ dense memory foam available, they will not likely hold up very well.  Memory foam does get softer with use.  I actually train with a few big power lifters and some bodybuilders....so far the only thing they have liked at my store, was either pretty thick latex mattresses, or very firm sprung mattresses with minimal amounts of upholstery.  Both of which will hold up very well...although the latex has proven itself as the most durable type of bed you can get overall.
Reply #2 Jun 23, 2010 4:17 PM
budgy wrote:

Other than your most high end/ dense memory foam available, they will not likely hold up very well.  Memory foam does get softer with use.  I actually train with a few big power lifters and some bodybuilders....so far the only thing they have liked at my store, was either pretty thick latex mattresses, or very firm sprung mattresses with minimal amounts of upholstery.  Both of which will hold up very well...although the latex has proven itself as the most durable type of bed you can get overall.

budgy does your store sells 100% Natural latex matresses?

Reply #3 Jun 23, 2010 7:18 PM
Yes, definitely have a lot of selection in that type of mattress. 
Reply #4 Jun 24, 2010 8:50 AM
If you want an innerspring or an innerspring with latex layers, best support is a 12 1/2 or 12 3/4 gauge coil - holland maid is 12 3/4 and that is used in shifmans and beckleys. king koil makes a mattress designed for more weight. it is called extended life. they charge a lot for it but it does have a 12 3/4 gauge coil and they use a lot of them. the bed discounters carry them if you want to try it out. 
Reply #5 Oct 2, 2010 12:15 PM
This is an old thread, but I'll also nominate Original Mattress Factory's  Orthopedic Extra Firm and Ultra Firm,  with the extra foam cylinders (one if not two rows) around the edges.   I have a friend who weighs over 400# and that mattress and spring set has held up to him for over 3 years now.
Reply #6 Oct 2, 2010 8:58 PM
Sweet Deals, Sweet Dreams! Premium Mattress Outlet
Innerspring mattresses built buy most major manufacturers are designed for the "average person"  The springs are designed to be comfortable for the average person.  This means that the springs are not so soft that heavy people can completely compress them and that light people get some spring comfort with out the spring being un-movable.  Like wise the upholstrey is not so soft that a heavy person can wear it out in a few weeks and not so firm that a light person won't fee it to be rock hard.

If you are closer to one of the extremes you will find a poorer performing mattress.

When presented with some who has a high muscle mass - thus a higher weight to square foot ratio you cause a real problem for most types of mattresses.  I would have you look at a higher end latex mattress.  One that uses both Dunlap latex for great support as well as talalay latex for comfort.  I like the Aireloom products because they also provide a 15% stronger support section across the middle width of their latex matts.

"Budgy", on this forum, seems to have a large selection of latex mattresses so his imput might be good to seek.

Gunman4440

This message was modified Oct 2, 2010 by gunman4440
Reply #7 Oct 3, 2010 1:54 PM
Sweet Deals, Sweet Dreams! Premium Mattress Outlet
Buy the way - It seems to me I recall reading in "Bed Times" a few mths ago that Therapedic was looking at offering a group of mattresses for larger customers.  You might check them out.

Gunman4440

Recent Posts