Mattress Spring System
Mar 21, 2008 11:10 AM
Can anyone here tell me the differences between mattress manufacturers spring systems. Like others here, I have come to the conclusion that Latex/Poly foam doesn’t work for my lower back pain – I almost always wake up feeling better on just about any spring system that’s not too soft. The one thing I do really like about foam is that I never wake up with numb arms if I sleep on my side, although I’m normally a back sleeper and having a back that doesn’t hurt in the morning is more important to me than waking up with a numb arm. I would like to find mattress with the intention on having to replacing the foam eventually, but not right away...hopefully. It almost seems as though a better quality, heavier gauge spring usually includes a pillow or euro top, and mattress without the pillow top, euro top, or extra foam seem like they’re very cheap. I have a Sam’s Club and Costco membership – both seem to have reasonably priced mattresses. I also have a mattress store close by that is going out of business that carries King Koil. I actually have a small King Koil bed in my guest room that guests really seem to like. I even really like it for my back pain, but I can wake up a numb arm if I sleep on my side. I’m assuming this is probably from the lack of foam in the top??? So, I’m leaning towards a euro/pillow top to give me more fabric to work with if...I mean, when I have to replace foam.

The King Koil options I have in a king size are:

Perfect Contour for $700 or less (with negotiating)
    Perfect Contour Elite for $900 or less

I believe the Elite model has a little heavier spring and both have what King Koil calls a ‘5-Zone 616 Contour Innerspring System II with Helical Lacing’. This is what they say about it:

To provide exceptional contour conformance, the innerspring is designed with five zones utilizing dual-gauge coils and coil row proximity spacing, resulting in better anatomic conformance for a better night's sleep. In addition, this innerspring uses head-to-toe helical lacing. Each row of coils is laced to adjoining rows with head-to-toe connecting wires, providing resistance to motion sensitivity. This helps isolate sleepers from the others' movements and reduce the likelihood that sleepers will roll towards the middle of the mattress. In many mattresses, these wires are laced side-to-side which can cause different weight sleepers to roll together and transfer motion between sleepers. This key feature can make all the difference in a great night's rest!

They also claim their poly fiber fill is ‘body-impression resistance’ and talk about their foams lasting longer than the competition. Who knows if this is true, but I can’t find any of the S-companies even mentioning the word ‘body impressions’, except in their warranty.

Any input on all brands is appreciated.
Re: Mattress Spring System
Reply #1 Mar 21, 2008 10:51 PM
Steve2u, did you ever try 44 ILD latex cores? My lower back stopped hurting at night (herniated disks from a car accident made me go firmer on my latex bed which I could do since I have a latex kit and can rearrange the latex cores) when I put a 1" topper over a 39 ILD over a 44 ILD over another 44 ILD over a slat foundation. I think people go too soft when they go with latex and if they need more cushion around their shoulders and neck area, they should zone the topper or the latex under the topper to be softer for their shoulders and much firmer than they think for their lower back.

I wish I could help you with your questions, but I had nothing but problems with conventional mattresses since they put so much pressure on my hips and shoulders for the firmness I need and I am allergic to the chemicals they use.

I am sure others with experience with coils will respond. I just wanted to know if you ever tried the firmer latex cores.

Reply #2 Mar 22, 2008 11:39 AM
I have not tried firmer latex. I have 4" of 50 ild poly, 3" of 36 ild poly and two 2" layers of 32 ild latex, and about 1" of poly fiber fill. I'm actually most comfortable with the 36 ild poly layer on top of the latex. There's something about the latex that makes my back start twitching almost immediately after laying down on it - this doesn't happen with the poly. It's almost like that latex pushes into my lumbar too much. I'm worried about putting more money into something that may not work out. It's probably just me - my girlfriend absolutely loves the mattress the way it is.
Reply #3 Mar 22, 2008 2:00 PM
This is exactly how I feel. The difference between this Carpenter Dream Coil topper and latex is like night and day. The Omalon just has a unique, supportive and cushy feel on my back. I can't explain it. But I sure have been sleeping well ever since putting it on. Now I know why they call it Dream Coil! And, even though I have 2" of 32 ILD talalay inside my mattress over 3/4" 55 ILD HR PU foam and the coils, I don't feel the latex on my back. And, of course, the CuddleBed Ultimate fiber mattress cover hugging the topper is like the frosting on the cake. HEAVEN!

steve2u wrote:
I have not tried firmer latex. I have 4" of 50 ild poly, 3" of 36 ild poly and two 2" layers of 32 ild latex, and about 1" of poly fiber fill. I'm actually most comfortable with the 36 ild poly layer on top of the latex. There's something about the latex that makes my back start twitching almost immediately after laying down on it - this doesn't happen with the poly. It's almost like that latex pushes into my lumbar too much. I'm worried about putting more money into something that may not work out. It's probably just me - my girlfriend absolutely loves the mattress the way it is.
This message was modified Mar 22, 2008 by BeddyBye
Reply #4 Mar 22, 2008 10:05 PM
4" of 32 ILD on top would make the bed way too soft for me and I would also have a lot of back pain.  Also the 1" polytop would bother my back. But that is just me.  The 36 ILD poly is more comfortable since it makes the support system firmer for you. I could not handle any latex core less than 36 ILD and I Prefer a 39 ILD over two 44 ILD's with a soft 1" topper over this combination. When I had the 32 ILD and when I had two 36 ILD's over a 44 ILD with teh 1" topper, I had back pain. I need to have a surface very firm to sleep on and the 44 ILD latex does that for me.  I think your set up is too soft.
Reply #5 Mar 24, 2008 9:46 AM
BeddyBye wrote:
This is exactly how I feel. The difference between this Carpenter Dream Coil topper and latex is like night and day. The Omalon just has a unique, supportive and cushy feel on my back. I can't explain it. But I sure have been sleeping well ever since putting it on. Now I know why they call it Dream Coil! And, even though I have 2" of 32 ILD talalay inside my mattress over 3/4" 55 ILD HR PU foam and the coils, I don't feel the latex on my back. And, of course, the CuddleBed Ultimate fiber mattress cover hugging the topper is like the frosting on the cake. HEAVEN!

BeddyBuy - Did you open your mattress to put new foam in it ? Did you have a problem sleeping directly on latex? For some reason, the muscles in my mid and lower back starts twitching almost immediately when I lay on latex, so I don't think it's about being too soft for me. I feel like I'm lighter laying on my King Koil mattress in my guest bedroom - I just wish it wasn't a small bed.
Reply #6 Mar 24, 2008 11:31 PM
Hi steve2U. No, my bed comes with a zippered cover, purchased locally. I had the option of going with all latex or a coil system with latex and/or HR PU layers. I chose the coils. I only have 2-3" of firm to extra firm talalay latex inside at any given time with a 3/4" base of extra firm PU base. Right now I have two 32 ILD 1" layers over the PU. Quilted cover. Then the Carpenter Dream Coil Omalon topper. It's never supposed go flat. I believe it! No body impressions. I also have a fiber bed cover over that. So I'm not really laying directly on the latex. I don't like that feel. I sink in too much or feel like I can't turn over without using my muscles to the point of hurting. But, the way it is now---PERFECT!

http://www.baybed.com/

steve2u wrote:
BeddyBuy - Did you open your mattress to put new foam in it ? Did you have a problem sleeping directly on latex? For some reason, the muscles in my mid and lower back starts twitching almost immediately when I lay on latex, so I don't think it's about being too soft for me. I feel like I'm lighter laying on my King Koil mattress in my guest bedroom - I just wish it wasn't a small bed.
Reply #7 Mar 25, 2008 10:52 AM
I'm going to check out a local manufacturer that uses Leggett & Platt coils, but unfortunately, they don't make their mattresses zippered. If I'm not impressed, I think I'm going to go with the Sealy Posturepedic "RESERVE" Thistle Meadow Plush. http://www.us-mattress.com/sealy-reserve-thistle-meadow-plush.html

It gets great reviews and was very comfy at my local mattress chain that's closing all of it's stores. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a few years out of it before replacing the foam.

Recent Posts