Mattress for obese person
Dec 4, 2010 7:36 PM
What kind of mattress do you guys recommend for a 430lb and 5' 10" person? I contacted Habitat Furnishings and they offer an all 100% natural latex. It's made of a 6' talalay base with a 44 ILD and it has a 2" top layer of a 36 ILD.

All comments are appreciated.

FCAME

Re: Mattress for obese person
Reply #1 Dec 4, 2010 7:53 PM
I would tend to go thicker than that and the construction and layering I chose (how thick the layers are in the mattress and the ILD of the layers) would depend on how you slept (position) and any pressure or back pain issues you are prone to.

There are lots of options when it comes to latex mattresses and given the importance of a good mattress to you I would probably take a little time to research some of the ideas and outlets here.

Have you slept on latex before?

What were/are you sleeping on now ... and how well did it work for you at first ... and now?

Phoenix

Reply #2 Dec 4, 2010 8:31 PM
Phoenix wrote:

I would tend to go thicker than that and the construction and layering I chose (how thick the layers are in the mattress and the ILD of the layers) would depend on how you slept (position) and any pressure or back pain issues you are prone to.

There are lots of options when it comes to latex mattresses and given the importance of a good mattress to you I would probably take a little time to research some of the ideas and outlets here.

Have you slept on latex before?

What were/are you sleeping on now ... and how well did it work for you at first ... and now?

Phoenix

I used to be a side a sleeper but then I started developing hip pains so I became a stomach sleeper and I sleep much better now. Currently, I sleep on a firm Simmons mattress and it has been OK for supporting my weight for two years now. However, the excessive heat I get from this mattress is unbearable; I wake up everyday with a bath of sweat. Plus, the mattress is not good in relieving pressure points; the result is a lot of turning and tossing during the night.

I haven't yet slept on a latex mattress.

This message was modified Dec 4, 2010 by FCAME
Reply #3 Dec 5, 2010 12:17 PM

Can you guys comment on the specs provided by Habitat Furnishings? What is your overall experience with them. Thanks.

Reply #4 Dec 5, 2010 3:34 PM
If you search "habitat furnishings" or "habitat" you will find many references, comments, and comparisons :)

Make sure you click the "all" link so you can see all the posts in a thread.

Good luck

Phoenix

PS: I have no idea what is happening with the fonts that are showing up after a post in this thread

This message was modified Dec 5, 2010 by Phoenix

Recent Posts