looking for opinions on a few memory foam toppers
Nov 11, 2010 6:26 PM
I've been reading on this site for a few weeks now and was hoping to get a few opinions as we look to buy a new topper.

First, the background info: my husband and I spent a lot of money (at least a lot for us) on a new king size S&F on sale at Sears after sleeping on what had become a truly horrible Ikea spring mattress. We have had this S&F for somewhere between 5 and 6 years. I like pretty firm and hubby prefers a bit cushier -- we were both pretty happy w/ this bed -- esp after we got a memory foam topper from Costco (Novaform I think w/ 3-4 lb). This past spring/summer we starting hating the bed and feeling it was very hammocky. Finally we took off the topper and low and behold the bed was better! I assume the memory foam had just 'lost its memory' and was worn out and so made what are not very deep impressions feel much worse. While the bed is a LOT better w/out the old topper -- it is not wonderful and I think it is at least partly because of the firmness of the bed -- I wake up and ache in various places -- shoulders and mid-low back. And my husband feels a bit achy too. I am REALLY hopeful that a new topper will help us both be much happier sleepers as we really really don't want to spend more money on another bed (we are spending a lot right now on out of pocket therapies for my 8 yr old son who has some issues). I am 5'2" and about 170 (working to be less!) and husband is 6'4" and around 215 lbs. I have 2 kids and have been up LATE researching this for a while (as well as latex toppers and whole beds). We are both ready to just pull the trigger and just try something -- we both liked memory foam before and figured that was a good place to start. I could research this FOREVER and my husband just wants me to decide on SOMETHING and tell him what to order! He originally wanted a 3-4" and I told him that the recommendation from here (at least from what I have read thus far) was that 1-2" was probably better. I am open to latex and like the idea of it -- but we've not really tried it IRL (except for a latex bed from Ikea -- and hubby was not in love).

At this point I am thinking of the Sensus 2" 5lb from Overstock for  $140. I am a bit concerned about not being able to return it and the (admittedly few) negative reviews about it being too soft. From what I have read here, most folks have been pretty happy with it and I like the price.

Also on the list is the 2.5" Costco Eco Memory foam 4lb density for $230. Obviously it's a LOT more expensive -- but we can return it at any point to our local Costco and get refunded. Also it's a lower density and I'm wondering if it will feel even less because of the 'open cell' construction. I do like the more 'green' aspect as I can be very sensitive to smells (though it wasn't an issue w/ the last topper at all).

I also looked at the Aerus 5lb at Sam's -- but we'd have to get a Sam's membership which would bring the total cost to $240. And I looked at the mem-cool 2" 4lb one from Overstock for $127. But the first 2 are where I am most strongly leaning right now.

Would anyone be able to give a poor tired mom some feedback and just help me decide one way or another? I recognize that it might not be the final answer -- but I figure we have to start somewhere!

Thank you!!

Re: looking for opinions on a few memory foam toppers
Reply #1 Nov 11, 2010 6:50 PM
The general consensus is that Sensus sleeps hotter than Aerus, so if you go with Sensus be prepared to put out extra $ for a wool pad to counteract the heat.  Aerus sleeps cooler and I would suggest that the Sam's Club 5 lb Aerus should get serious consideration.  I can't really comment on the Costco Eco product.  I have Costco's Pure Comfort which we have been happy with but they have changed it and now make it softer than when we bought it over a year ago.  That said, ours is starting to soften to the point that we will likely need to start shopping for a new topper within the next few months.  Which brings me to another point - regardless of which memory foam you choose, they all soften over time and need to be looked upon as a disposable item just as you have found out with your current one. 
Reply #2 Nov 11, 2010 7:22 PM
I might add that the Aerus 2.5" 5lb at Sam's is very soft.  It was not hot, though.  I returned mine to Sam's this week because it was so soft I felt like I sank right through it and on to my firm mattress below.  I'm going the latex route this time.  It will probably involve some trial and error, but it should last 10 - 15 years once I get it figured out.  Good luck!
Reply #3 Nov 11, 2010 7:41 PM
I would also put some importance on your ability to return it for a couple of reasons.

First you may not like the particular brand you buy since there are so many variations in memory foam now that it is hard to know how you will feel about the one you buy. Having said this I personally would tend towards the Aerus if heat is any kind of an issue and/or the Sensus if it's not. The sensus is a little "firmer" as well which may or may not be good for you. It also seems that some of the more "unknown" memory foams have differing amounts of offgassing issues. I personally am not very "sensitive" to most things like this but I did have a real issue with the Costco novaform. Because a sensitivity like this is so unusual to me I thought it was my "imagination" when I started noticing respiratory difficulties and kept sleeping on it for several weeks even after the odour went (mostly) away. The respiratory difficulties did not diminish with the smell. When we finally returned it (my other half also didn't like the smell at all but even though she tends to be more sensitive to things like this, she did not have respiratory issues with it), the respiratory issues immediately started to diminish and were gone within a few days. I know that this type of experience is very individual and can't necessarily be extended to someone else but I also believe that there is quite a variance even in memory foams that come from the same company ... especially if you don't know the certifications that the memory foam has (Sensus and Aerus, which come from Foamex, and most north american memory foams are tested and certified for offgassing and durability through Certipur (and others) even though they may still have an odour).

Second, your issues may be aggravated by the wearing out of the memory foam but may not be completely caused by this alone. I would suspect that the poly in your mattress is also getting close to it's useful lifetime and that while it may not show depressions, it will almost certainly have lost some of its resiliency. You may find that another layer of memory foam will not solve the issue as well as it did the first time when your mattress was new. If this is the case, it may become more important to look at other options.

Phoenix

Reply #4 Nov 11, 2010 10:13 PM
I have tried a number of different memory foams.  I have found that the breathable ones that I have tried tend to be too soft for me in increments over 1": 4lb mem-cool, 5lb Aerus, 4lb gel infused Novaform at Costco.  The Sensus definitely seems firmer to me than all of those.   I also have a 5.7lb foam that is even firmer.  My guess is that the Eco foam and nutratemp at Costco will be on the soft side. 

The Sensus and other less breathable ones seem firmer and more supportive to me, but theycan sleep a bit warmer.  So you will have to factor that in.  I use 2 layers of wool most of the time, so it is not a big issue for me unless very high room temperature.

Firm is this case is a relative term, because you will sink in a far amount in all memory foams as they warm up.

Years ago, I bought 2" of Sleep Innovations MF at Costco as was pretty happy with that, even though the density was a bit under 4lb.  I don't really remember getting hot either.  However, I have had trouble finding anything I like as much.  The Sensus is probably the closest.   So, if you like it on the soft side the more breathable ones are okay (less support though).  If you like it a little on the firmer side, the Sensus is probably a good choice.  I also see on Overstock that the 4lb. Serta gets pretty good reviews.  I have not tried it, but maybe it is somewhere in between the others.

I often like to put 1" of 19ILd latex over some memory foam.   I would consider latex as an option, but sounds like you don't want to experiment too much.  It will last longer as well.

I would probably not buy more than 2" to start, and you can always buy 1 more inch if it is not enough.

Reply #5 Nov 12, 2010 5:05 PM
I want to thank you for the generosity of your time and experience (not just here -- but all over the forum)!

We went ahead and ordered the sensus from overstock last night. When we've laid on a tempur-pedic (just in the store), we really liked it, plus we like our tempur-pedic pillows. I was more concerned w/ it feeling too soft and not feeling supportive enough than I was with it feeling hot. I am hoping that it will let us limp along for a little while longer with this bed. But even if it does not, we can use it on whatever comes next.

If the layers inside the bed are really starting to go, would a thin layer of latex or HR foam under the memory foam possibly help take care of this (at least for the short term)?

Does anyone know how good the S&F springs are? The idea of taking out and replacing the old foam seems cool to me -- appeals to my DIY side -- but really freaks my husband out!

If we do need to start researching other beds, does anyone happen to know a place in/near Pasadena CA where we can try something out in person and learn more about the different types of latex and different firmness ratings. I'm very intrigued by latex, as I have had back problems for years but haven't had any experience trying anything out. I did a quick google search, but other than stores w/ the "s" brands didn't notice anything. Just thought I'd ask in case someone was familiar w/ a hidden gem of a place. :)

Ok final question -- and honestly I'm a bit embarrassed to ask ... how is a latex mattress for ... intimate activities... We had read/heard that MF was terrible for that (too much sinking in, not enough bounce) but haven't had any problems w/ just a topper. The answer to this question will help determine whether a latex mattress will ever be in our future! (blush!)

Thanks!

Reply #6 Nov 12, 2010 6:23 PM
OK ... the best question first :)

Memory foam is probably the worst of the lot regarding "intimate activities" since it is the least "responsive" in real time of any construction. Latex is more lively, supportive, and responsive and closer to innersprings in this way. There are a few places where the different types of mattress are "rated" for being "sex friendly" and latex and innersprings are usually considered "the best" in this area. Of course this is VERY personal and average "approval ratings" here may mean nothing to an individual couple. 2 thumbs up from me though (smiling).

If the poly layers in a mattress are starting to go, then a topper can provide a temporary fix of sorts but it will not really correct any underlying defects ... only cover them up or make them less noticeable for a while. If the underlying defects are too great, then a topper won't help and it's time for other options. How much is "too much" depends on personal circumstances and your own sensitivities and preferences.

It is highly unlikely that the S&F springs are degraded as they are generally regarded to be among the better innersprings of the major brands. I personally would love the chance to do mattress surgery but since I just got a new mattress, watching someone else do it and posting their results would be the next best thing. There are some really good threads in the forum (in the highlighted threads) about people who have done just that. I think it would be a lot of fun personally and you would almost certainly end up with a better mattress than you bought in the first place.

I'll post a few ideas for latex mattress outlets in the next post.

Phoenix

Reply #7 Nov 12, 2010 7:15 PM
Here are a few from my list that may be close enough to warrant a phone call or visit. Some are custom manufacturers and some are retailers that carry a range of latex mattresses. They would give  you a wide range of "testing grounds".

http://www.customcomfortmattress.com/showroom/

http://www.earthsake.com/stores.html

http://www.adjustablebedmart.com/contactus.html

http://www.ergosleepsystems.net/storeinfo.php

http://www.sleepworks.com/contact.htm

http://www.newportbedding.com/contact/default.aspx

http://www.sterlingsleep.com/t-CustomerSupport.aspx

http://www.flexuscomfort.com/stores.php

Phoenix

Reply #8 Nov 15, 2010 2:04 PM
Thanks Phoenix! One of those places is right in Pasadena so we are going to check them out very soon  (probably w/ the kids in tow so should be interesting!)

I wish I could get to those places in Berekely -- some of them look very cool.

And.... I believe th S&F is going to get some surgery soon -- and I admit I am also a bit freaked out myself!

Recent Posts